Thread: Beaver parasites

Default Beaver parasites

Here in the UK,beavers have been re-introduced into Scotland,these beavers are breeding and spreading south from their controlled trial sites.I read in a fishing magazine that these beavers can carry a parasite that can kill other mammals including humans.I have never heard of this dangerous parasite before,have any of you guys out there heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by old grizzly View Post
    Here in the UK,beavers have been re-introduced into Scotland,these beavers are breeding and spreading south from their controlled trial sites.I read in a fishing magazine that these beavers can carry a parasite that can kill other mammals including humans.I have never heard of this dangerous parasite before,have any of you guys out there heard of it?
    Greetings Old Grizzly,
    I personally have never heard of these parasites, perhaps they are refering to the "beaver fever" parasite. When the beaver defecates in the water it will contimanate the water it is a giaridia (sp) parasite. Animals and humans can be infected by drinking the water. I have had the "Beaver Fever" Twice. I have no idea if anyone has died from this but it makes you feel like you want to die. I historically handle between 40 and 60 beaver per season and have never had any problems as long as you DON"T DRINK THE WATER.
    I would imangine if you "Googled" "Beaver Fever" It would get you the info you requested. Sorry about the poor spelling. ~Mist~

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mist View Post
    Greetings Old Grizzly,
    I personally have never heard of these parasites, perhaps they are refering to the "beaver fever" parasite. When the beaver defecates in the water it will contimanate the water it is a giaridia (sp) parasite. Animals and humans can be infected by drinking the water. I have had the "Beaver Fever" Twice. I have no idea if anyone has died from this but it makes you feel like you want to die. I historically handle between 40 and 60 beaver per season and have never had any problems as long as you DON"T DRINK THE WATER.
    I would imangine if you "Googled" "Beaver Fever" It would get you the info you requested. Sorry about the poor spelling. ~Mist~
    Thanks a lot for the reply,spellings ok too.

I will tell you from personal experience Giardia can cause all kinds of fun things to happen to you. The least of which will be the squirts from Hell, cramps, gas bad enough your spouse throws your bedding onto the couch...get the idea.

The good part is it is killed quickly with antibiotics. Well, quickly meaning a week or so.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I will tell you from personal experience Giardia can cause all kinds of fun things to happen to you. The least of which will be the squirts from Hell, cramps, gas bad enough your spouse throws your bedding onto the couch...get the idea.

The good part is it is killed quickly with antibiotics. Well, quickly meaning a week or so.
    On the upside, giardia is an extremely effective weight loss program!!

Thanks for the reply.I have found out that the parasite the Scottish beavers are carrying is 'ECHINOCOCCUS MULTILOCULARIS' a tapeworm that can be transferred to dogs and humans.

Quote Originally Posted by old grizzly View Post
    Thanks for the reply.I have found out that the parasite the Scottish beavers are carrying is 'ECHINOCOCCUS MULTILOCULARIS' a tapeworm that can be transferred to dogs and humans.
    It's found in Alaska too. It's carried by foxes and other mammals. Humans can become infected by ingesting contaminated water or plant matter such as berries etc...Probably through direct contact with infected animal meat/fluids too. It's a really nasty tapeworm type parasite that's extremely difficult to treat. It typically infects the liver, but can infect any of the organs. Ultimately, I believe it's usually fatal.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's found in Alaska too. It's carried by foxes and other mammals. Humans can become infected by ingesting contaminated water or plant matter such as berries etc...Probably through direct contact with infected animal meat/fluids too. It's a really nasty tapeworm type parasite that's extremely difficult to treat. It typically infects the liver, but can infect any of the organs. Ultimately, I believe it's usually fatal.
    Thanks for the reply,sound nasty.

To be fair........I can't remember the last time I've drank filtered water. I drink from every lake and river that I can. Sometimes even mud puddles on the side of the road. Up here.......water is water. Yukon water gives me a bit of crampy gut...but it usually goes away after a day. Giardia is something you will become resistant to. Filters are just too much work yah know?

matnaggewinu

Default Yes, your body can adapt, and overcome

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    To be fair........I can't remember the last time I've drank filtered water. I drink from every lake and river that I can. Sometimes even mud puddles on the side of the road. Up here.......water is water. Yukon water gives me a bit of crampy gut...but it usually goes away after a day. Giardia is something you will become resistant to. Filters are just too much work yah know?
    Definitely agree with this; a human body can adapt.

I couple of lifetimes ago I spent a lot of time in Mexico. Gringos got sick drinking the same water that Mexicans were fine with. That's proof for me.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    We're not talking about Giardia here Mainer.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Well thanks there Iofthetaiga your just full of god news..LOL I just looked this up and yes this seems like some visious stuff for sure....hmmm gonna have to read a little more now

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Well thanks there Iofthetaiga your just full of god news..LOL
    When I was bored in the ER at 3:00 in the morning, I used to sit and read The Physicians Desk Reference for entertainment.... There are far more interesting things in the world to think about than Bubba's political conspiracy theories. :-)

Yeah I just happened to look it up after your post and your description was spot on. What was crazy was how long you can have it for prior to symptoms showing and some of the pics I found were not too much fun either. Might have to change my views on water filtering now;)

Hey, on the other hand, you've got to die of something, eh? Might as well be a tapeworm infestation in your lungs. Sweet dreams everyone.