Thread: Easiest/Hardest hunts this last year.

Default Easiest/Hardest hunts this last year.

I found two vids, one of my hardest hunt of the year.

Nothing like being broke down and walking 28 miles in total, started early in the mornig and got in at 2am~~LOL!!~~ took a couple vids, but the others were really bad with wind, this one worked out well, as Im almost there Too much work for 2 Arctic Fox.

But with company, there is always the "Easy Hunt"
    Other than being disoriented and weilding a sharp knife, Vince had 'Local' Muskox hunting down pat by the time the wife had hers skinned.

So I pose the question, what were your Hard/Easy Hunts this last year? No need for pix or Vids, 'though they are a bonus, a good story would do well here.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Now days all my hunts are easy or I go to the store.Got to like good retirement checks as you age.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

This last year it was the tier II caribou on the Denali highway.

Driving along looking way out there on the tundra and not expecting to see anything until east of the Susitna.

Several miles before the Su my buddy on the right side of the truck said there's one. Stopped the truck. Get out. Load rifle. Walk off road. Sit down on tundra bench. Wait for caribou to stop peeing. Caribou walks over to check me out. Shoot - little too far back. Shoot again and nice double lung. Caribou goes 30 yards and falls over into a nice blue berry patch about 110 yards from the truck. Since my left arm was all torn up from a "boating" accident in August, but buddy who had never hunted before did most of the gutting and packing.

I am wondering how long I can use the "busted left arm" defense into next season.

Usually this is how one of my dad's hunts goes. He is notorious for getting out of the truck looking around, "there's one" and taking an animal and being all done hunting in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    But with company, there is always the "Easy Hunt"
    Other than being disoriented and weilding a sharp knife, Vince had 'Local' Muskox hunting down pat by the time the wife had hers skinned.
    I love how you say to the ox......"I thank him very much". Indeed my friend. I feel a little "different" when I hear somebody say "take" when it comes to killing an animal, as to me they are all gifts that we should be quite thankful for.

Never thought of that much, 4mer, but its very common here, I picked it up somewhere along the line. I find personally thanking the animal sits better in me than someone else getting the credit or thanx.

As well haveing company along makes the time pass quicker and with a smile, the worse the conditions, the bigger the smile. The longest walks are taken alone.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i know the hard ones seem to stand out in my mind a bit...i suppose efforts paid have a bit more lasting power in the memory department than more easily gained success...

this past season i didnt have any easy hunts persay...yet i cant really call any of them hard enough to write about...numerous times back in camp after 2 am...lots of miles walked...lots of miles on the river...piles of work...little more than four hours or so per night average sleep during season....nothing out of the ordinary.

but...in the fall of 2010 i broke my tailbone in a fall on rocks at the edge of a big lake. two days prior to that i went hunting with my client at about six...we got back with his bear the following morning as the sun rose around seven am. the next day i broke my tailbone...the following 22 days were fairly hard. two clients, two brown bear, a very sore ass, and one moose later i got a couple days break, then finished the season...that kinda sucked.

The hardest this past year would be our moose hunt. Getting it down was easy. Getting it out was hard work in the rain. The easiest was a bow deer hunt. A neighbor asked me to get him a deer so I purchased the tag, put my stand up that evening and the next day arrowed a nice buck to give him. That was probably the quickest hunt as well. Dragging out a 165lb deer was apiece of cake compared to a 1,000lb moose.

Easiest was a caribou on the Dalton. Saw some bulls laying on the side of the road, pulled up, walked out to about 20 yards away, waited for him to stand up but he wouldn't, so I put an arrow in him while he was laying down. He got up, took a few steps and fell over. Had about a 50 yard pack to the truck.

The hardest last year was the most rewarding. I spent 7 days in and out of the field with my daughter on her first moose hunt. We finally connected on a cow nearing the end of the season, but it was challenging and nerve racking trying to stalk and steady her for the shot.

Easiest, solo sheep hunt. Left at 4 in the morning back home in my own bed at 11 at night. Hardest was passing on a legal moose, but I did get a lesson while that guy walked around and thrashed and grunted. No video could ever teach what the real thin can.

Didn't have an easy hunt last year, but between my Moose and Goat hunt, the moose hunt was harder because I was by myself and had to pack the moose out 3/4 of a mile across muskeg. Getting to the goat and packing it out was tough, but it was a one time deal, plus I had my dad along with me.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The hardest one was an early August deer hunt with my wife. We had ~30 yard visibility for five days and near constant wind...until our pickup day, that is, when of course it was blue skies and calm winds.

The easiest was about a week later, when I was able to help two friends take their first Alaskan animals (and first animal ever for one of them). All three caribou were shot separately within 2 hours and 300 yards of each other. We were back at the truck by early afternoon after skinning, butchering, shooting, skinning, butchering, shooting...you get the idea. It was kind of ridiculous how easily it worked out.

The most satisfying, though, was putting my nephew on his first big game animal. Even better, my father (his grandfather) was there to share the experience.

after 3 tough years in a row I was rewarded with my easiest hunting season to date.
    Sheep hunt on wheelers - 24 hr hunt til I was back at the house with a nice lil ram
    Moose hunt on wheelers - 24 hr had a moose in the bed of my truck

After those two easy hunts I decided to return to the moose camp to spend my time in the woods since I felt cut short!

the previous year we had to pack a big bodied bull 8 miles in 80 degree weather.
    So in my mind this was a pay back for my previous labor!
    lol