Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pot weight ?

Default Shrimp pot weight ?

Picked up my 5 pots from Steve today.I have 1 single set and 2 double sets. Not sure what my puller will haul ,So just trying this out first. Those of you using Steves pots how much weight should I put in them to keep them on the bottom?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I don't have Steve's pots but I put 5-10 lbs in each pot. I have some old diving weights and I just zip tie the inside the pots. I also try to put more weight in the pot closest to the buoy so it does not get bumped around by the wave action.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm using ladners with a 2 pot and 3 pot set. I have 6 1# sinkers tied to the bottom of the first pot on each string, and haven't had any problems with them staying put. To me it's more of an issue of getting the pot down faster.

If you're using an ace/brutus, you'll probably be ok just pulling 2 pots at a time even with a few pounds to weigh them down. I've pulled 5 pot strings and they are too much for the little puller.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I also use Steves Pots and for weights, I cut 3 peices of rebar about 1/2 " short of the lenth of the trap. Then I slide the rebar inside a piece of old garden hose and tape up the ends with black tape to seal it off. Then I place one on each side inside of the trap and secure them with several zip ties with the exception of the side that I hook my bridal on to allow it to sink and set properly. Works like the cats meow! Here is a pic that shows it, sorry I don't have a full trap pic but you should get the idea. Knock on wood, I have never had one hang up yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We use Steve's pots and put a couple #'s in each pot. Also put the heaviest pot closest to the bouy to keep the rope from trying to lift the string. We use the Ace line hauler. Only time I have ever had to "assist" the puller cause it was going slow was the time I pulled a large octi from the depths. Thought we hit the mother load of shrimp till it came to the surface!
    Anything works for weighting a pot, zip tie an old logging chain chunk in the bottom, rebar, halibut weights, etc...
    BK

I am going to fill some big cans (baked bean cans or bigger fruit cans) full of cement and use those for extra weight when I think I need it. With the price of lead I want to stop using any of my halibut weights.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I am going to fill some big cans (baked bean cans or bigger fruit cans) full of cement and use those for extra weight when I think I need it. With the price of lead I want to stop using any of my halibut weights.
    I filled some 1 1/2 inch aluminum tubing with cement and tied them in. Works fine, each pot weighs about 15 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I filled some 1 1/2 inch aluminum tubing with cement and tied them in. Works fine, each pot weighs about 15 lbs.
    That is a great idea, I think the old soup cans would rust but I was going to live with that, now I will use Aluminum tubing or maybe pvc tubing and make them up. Cement is cheap wt and my SafeTPuller has sucked all 5 pots up in one string with no problems so I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I also use Steves Pots and for weights, I cut 3 peices of rebar about 1/2 " short of the lenth of the trap. Then I slide the rebar inside a piece of old garden hose and tape up the ends with black tape to seal it off. Then I place one on each side inside of the trap and secure them with several zip ties with the exception of the side that I hook my bridal on to allow it to sink and set properly. Works like the cats meow! Here is a pic that shows it, sorry I don't have a full trap pic but you should get the idea. Knock on wood, I have never had one hang up yet.
    Clove hitch that bridle, saves on chaffing of the bridle.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Just remember that cement is lighter in the water than steel or lead. Check out the greatful lead sinker co. fairly cheap prices on sinkers and they ship by flat rate. I've told a few folks about them and everyone has been happy with the sinkers and service.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Picked up my 5 pots from Steve today.I have 1 single set and 2 double sets. Not sure what my puller will haul ,So just trying this out first. Those of you using Steves pots how much weight should I put in them to keep them on the bottom?
    Roger tell them what you have for a hauler so the guys with close to the same style can chime in with some advise for ya.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Roger tell them what you have for a hauler so the guys with close to the same style can chime in with some advise for ya.
    Thanks everyone! Ok Steve. I bought a old (But brand new) puller last year.Hooks up to a Scotty downrigger mount .For the price I can not go wrong even it it only last 1 season or a few weeks. Thats why I went with a 2 string not sure how much it will pull.

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

So how important is it to weight your pots down. I've been shrimping 3 years now and haven't lost my gear yet. I don't put weight in the pots but I do put a 6-8lb down rigger ball a few feet up from the last pot that is closest to the buoy. Do you think I should add more weight to the pots themselves? Would this help them fish better? Have I just been lucky not to lose any pots?

"Anything works for weighting a pot, zip tie an old logging chain chunk in the bottom, rebar, halibut weights, etc..."

My mother in law?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Bah-ha-ha.....I don't think yours will work but you can have mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    "Anything works for weighting a pot, zip tie an old logging chain chunk in the bottom, rebar, halibut weights, etc..."

My mother in law?
    Fat floats. Do you need a buoy?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I am thinking I need extra lead............ WAY EXTRA

And BK, why would I want yours? I don't even want mine. Just the wife.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have 3 pieces of rebar in my Potbuilder pots. They are cut a little short and ziptied in. Works great and it's super cheap.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Akmutt,
    I figured you had more than one pot to weight down, thus I am only trying to help out!!
    BK

I have been using Steve's pots for the last 5yrs or so with 4 lbs of lead in each pot. Never an issue and not hard to pull. I know other people put in more weight and I have witnessed thier pullers pulling hard but I personally wouldn't suggest it. I catch as many shrimp or more than they do, never lost a pot and my best set to date was only 30 min. soak from drop to pull. I would agree that a little weight definetly helps get them down faster but too much just works your hauler that much more. I mean a 20lb anchor will hold a 20' boat in place why put 10 lbs of weight in each pot with a line and a bouy on it???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast