Thread: Giantrecord Rockfish Caught

Default Giantrecord Rockfish Caught

What a catch! Giant 90-year-old fish reeled in off Alaska!

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/newsr...-8672173c.html
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-06-2007 at 13:14. Reason: No copy right

Default I wonder...

How much of that weight was worms.

Default another record set

I see the draggers have also landed more than 64,000 chinook salmon that they can`t sell.And halibut?

Default monster

Thank God we killed that giant monster, she has been over populating her species for a hundred years. No more by golly, we got her in the nick of time before she dropped another herd of those rotten worthless fish. You know if those nets were bigger they could scrape everything off of the bottom and find older and bigger fish. Size IS everything!!!

Default Ugly

Sure is a ugly fish, reminds me of my exwife, lol.

Terry

Default ex wife

Yeah, and that was her good side...

Default I'm suprised

They made no mention of how long Yellow Eye live (longer). It is a shame that they killed a queen of reproduction. I guess McDonald's and fish stick companies need to stay well stocked! Not to mention all of the other things these draggers produce. Its a double edged sword! I think this forum would be better off not to go down this slippery slope. We as sportsmen need to be proactive! Fish Hard

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    I see the draggers have also landed more than 64,000 chinook salmon that they can`t sell.And halibut?

That shocked me most about the whole article.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default fact jack

You know what that article didnt' mention?? That the vessel had two fishery biologist's onboard who monitore 100% of all tows for a partial haul sample of about 30% of any given tow. The didn't mention who pullled out the Rockfish really, but I have a guess.

You want to know how we know how many chinooks were caught? Active monoritoring with human observers on the boats. This King bycatch is a problem FOR THE TRAWLERS, but not at the moment the overall king population. It is closely monitored up here. Alaska fisheries (commercial draggers, longliners, and pots) are not that similar to the lower 48 fisheries.

There are problems up here but I get ticked when folks who don't seem to understand our fisheries want to talk junk. There is waste all over...I wonder how many Rockfish charters waste every year?? Wait we don't know, and have not idea. Why? NO active monitoring. How much bycatch is caught by salmon fishermen?? Wait we don't know. Why, NO active monitoring.

There is only one Fishery up here that is even remotely monitored. That would be commercial vessels targeting Groundish over 60 feet overall. Any vessel over that must have an Observer on board for at least %30 of fishing time. Larger vessels that are typically talked about as far as bycatch goes usually have at least 1 observer 100% of the time or in the case of the huge pollock boats there are usually 2 observers for 100% of the time. It looks as if Flatfish may also go to 2 observers in the near future. Target and bycatch numbers are KNOWN in the majority of our groundfish fisheries in Alaska. Why because the industy and NMFS understand that to be substainable (which all of our grounfish fishery in the Bering Sea are) you need good science. You want to complain about draggers? Know the facts and work on your area council first. We have problems up here, but draggers don't deserve the rap they get. Guess what if they catch to many Rockfish we shut them down. They catch to many (*to many IS decided at a council level so there is some bias) halibut we shut them down. They catch to much pollock we shut them down. See how it works?