Thread: Unit 19 Sheep Hunt

Default Unit 19 Sheep Hunt

Before anyone tells me to use the search button....I did, and I looked through 14 pages of search results with no success, maybe some of you search "gurus" can find something.

Has anyone hunted unit 19? I'm thinking about flying out up that way, its all HT and I imagine its not highly pressured due to the access issues. I don't need to know what drainage you hiked up or anything specific like that, just general knowledge of the area, the pilot/outfitter you used, how many days you hunted, 15 miles per day or 5 per day, cliff hangin or gradual slopes?

As always, THANKS!!!

DAN
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

19 gets whacked pretty hard on sheep. Legal sheep are getting hard to find. There are lots of cub stribs depening on what part of 19 you are looking at and that is probably why hunting is tough.. help you if I can but send a pm as Im not willing to give info on open forum...

I used to guide in unit 19C. That's the South Fork Kuskokwim, Post, and Hartman river drainages basically. There are some good spots, but plan on hiking a loooooooong ways to get to them. You ain't gonna just fly right up to them. In fact, siwashing was a pretty common practice if you wanted to be regularly successful. Plan on hiking a minimum of 5-10 miles from the airstrip to get to where the good spots are. Sometimes even farther. But there are some decent rams in that area. If I had to pick one of the three draingages, I would probably choose the Post river. That one is the least hunted in my opinion. Then probably the Hartman. The South Fork Kuskokwim would be my last choice. I am not willing to give any more information than that. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I used to guide in unit 19C. That's the South Fork Kuskokwim, Post, and Hartman river drainages basically. There are some good spots, but plan on hiking a loooooooong ways to get to them. You ain't gonna just fly right up to them. In fact, siwashing was a pretty common practice if you wanted to be regularly successful. Plan on hiking a minimum of 5-10 miles from the airstrip to get to where the good spots are. Sometimes even farther. But there are some decent rams in that area. If I had to pick one of the three draingages, I would probably choose the Post river. That one is the least hunted in my opinion. Then probably the Hartman. The South Fork Kuskokwim would be my last choice. I am not willing to give any more information than that. Good luck.
    Post has been gettin worked over quite a bit in recent years...used to be really nice in there though,and Mr Jack is right be ready to hike,I have done 10 miles easy in the post...lol

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for guys! Thanks!!

Be aware that there is a big chunk of private CIRI owned land out there west of the Post.

Yk

Yeah I found that out pretty quick...I wanted to hunt out there, but CIRI doesn't just "give" out tags to individuals and it is extremely competitive.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-07-2012 at 18:27. Reason: member request