Thread: cans/silencers whos runnin' one?

Default cans/silencers whos runnin' one?

been kinda looking into aftermarket cans and such, i had miy stock one out of my 2011 M8 the other day and was suprised by how heavy they are. i've read you can drop about 10lbs or so and gain 4-6 horsepower by using some of the aftermarket stuff. but see they run just shy of 300 bucks. do they make that much difference and can you get one thats effective and quiets a machine a bit?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake,
    Most aftermarket exhaust systems claim to reduce weight and increase HP. Most of the time the HP gains are marginal--detectable on a dyno but largely unnoticable while riding. The biggest selling point is lighter weight.

There is a myth that loud equals fast and has been disproved over and over. For a high quality, lighter but still quiet can I would look to SLP. I'm not a Cat guy but I'm sure there are other quiet, quality cans out there.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

loud = headaches for me...and those i'm not a fan of! SLP was one of the brands i was checking out. just curious what others thought of the ones they were using. i'm not expecting to grab the throttle and blown off the back because of the can, but the noise and weight issues i think would be a big selling point.
    by the way eric the snow out at the lodge right now..humm you could climb some mtns you might not want to!!!
    Master guide 212

What you are looking for is the MBRP trail can it is much smaller than stock and not much ouder than stock at all at idle you can barely tell but at WOT you can definatly tell a difference in tone but its not much louder. MBRP also makes a "race" can that is one of the loud annoying ones the trail can is a nice medium you can check it out on youtube or if you want I can upload a vid of my summit 800 with the trail can and you can hear it.

here a vid of a Poo 800 with it.... sounds identical to my summit 800 very nice sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozk56PzkstU

Losing weight is all it would do on a Cat. That can on my kid's Summit is considered a quiet can and it's annoying as hell. The can on the 700 Summit of Claude's is worse. I hate the dang things.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

ya that 700 is annoying!! lol i had a 800 vert escape with a MBRP can on it and at 8000rmp i think my ears bled a little bit. but we never got that sled running right so i never had a chance to ride it much which might have been a good thing.
    Master guide 212

You probably had the "race" can here is a vid oof mine with the "trail" can while riding and it is very tame. With a balaclava and helmet on its not loud at all.

I had a can on my 800 summit made by HPS. I think I saved a few pounds, but I never noticed the HP gains. It was a little loud at first, but not too bad unless you were standing beside me when I was WOT. After about 4-5 years, the packing wore out and the pipe was cracking and I had to weld it back together. It just got too loud and I put the stock can back on. Now I can take my kids (didn't have them when I bought the sled) for a ride without ear protection. MBRP and SLP are both well known for making good exhaust products. My bro-in-law has the SLP on his XP and it sounds great, without being too loud. Good luck!

You rode my 800- best steer away from Skinz lol.

A can alone honestly wouldn't net you a worthwhile gain for what they cost.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Back in the70's expansion chambers were really loud. Cans are loud too. Hard to get close to critters being loud.

I wish I could find the reference but the cans were tested a while back and most lost the HP they were advertised to gain and the rest were lucky to maintain stock power. The only can we were able to see definitive gains (and it isn't anything you would feel riding) was "the Thing" out of revelstoke. Most expensive out there though. MBRP is the worst I've been around and used over the years. Packing burns out during the first season and it's just loud after that. Quit selling them a long time ago because of it. Even the trail version. SLP makes good stuff. Don't expect to get anything but less weight with any can. I run a quiet "Thing" behind an SLP pipe on my sled. I will add that the Thing required jetting down a notch or two so not sure how they are working on the newer fuel injected sleds.

Being quiet while hunting is a great comment too. The newer 4 strokes are excelling at this. Spooked a coyote off a moose kill yesterday and if the fog had lifted early enough I could have walked down on him instead of driving. And I was on a stock 600 and still wasn't quiet enough to even think about being close enough for an attempt at him.

Is it really worth the money to drop maybe 10 pounds off a machine that may be used for hunting? 10 pounds that may not even be noticeable riding it anyway?

brwnbr I have run numerous cans and I do not care what anyone says, cans are "LOUD" especially on Cats when their power valves open. If you are mild on the throttle they are fine, crack the throttle to get over something or to get moving thru the deep stuff and the power valves open you can wake the dead.

The weight savings is huge, hp gains are almost none. These modern machines with fuel injection and pipe sensors ~almost~ run on the edge. Adding a can would not require any change to richen the fuel. Change the "Y" pipe or the expansion chamber requires a fuel adder......well depends on the stock programming. I am working on a sled right now after adding a "Y", pipe and can and it is still running a little rich.

A pipe can add HP, a can does not. In fact on today's new sleds you can loose HP with many cans. Some aftermarket manufacturers flow test their products, others just make a light weight noise makers. SLP makes great pipe & can combos that can add HP but most new sleds will require a fuel controller like a Power Commander V to add more fuel to prevent lean burn downs.

Jake doesn't need to lose weight off his sled. He climbed to places he didn't need to go several times this weekend. Kinda' like marking his territory along the way He stomped every highmark up the Clearwater as we came around to Windy Creek. My son's HPS can has lost it's packing as of this weekend. I heard him coming from 2 miles away. Looks like he's going to be riding the Indy Light GT for bear hunting
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Dynoport makes good products. I had one of their cans on my '99 XCR800, made it sound exactly like a Yammie tripple. Nice tone and mellow, but it was just a little bit louder than stock. Much lighter too. I eventually went back to the much heavier and quieter stock Pol muffler.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...