Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few sheep gear questions

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    sorry, i didn't see the posts after mr. Bear's post as i was typing.

That wyoming saw idea is also an excellent one, saves me a bunch of money too!

As for weight i am only talking about what is going to be in the pack on the flight out. 40 mile does not count your rifle against your weight on the flight in so i wasn't counting that as well.

For optics i have a swaro hd spotter, and a cullman tripod, i am not sure if i am bringing binos, i have a set of leupold 10x42s, and i am strongly thinking of bringing them. I have counted the weight of the spotting scope and tripod, and my range finder. The only things i haven't added to the estimate of my pack is my two knives and sharpener, and salt. I also have not counted extra socks, underwear, and longjohns yet, as i am not sure what i am going to get yet. I even weighed a roll of tp without the cardboard center, (10 oz btw)

from this thread alone i have already eliminated a little over 2 pounds.
    bring the binoculars!!!!!!!!

ducks Im not that old yet...lol no need for Mr just Dave works for me

Ok, Binos are added to the list!

With 40 mile air I have a 50 pound limit. I guess the reason my pack is light is due to these forums, I went back and read a bunch of sheep gear threads, and they give some good advice on good lightweight gear, and ways to eliminate weight. I do expect it to go up some, I am sure there are things I have missed. But work has been slow lately, so online research on gear, and it's weight is a good way to pass the time.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs

Have you considered trekking poles? To me, they're a life saver!

I would ditch the tarp, sharpening stone, and potentially one knife depending on what it is. Like others, I bone meat either on top of a meat bag or on the hide. As for the sharpening stone, I have never felt the need to touch up a blade on a sheep. That has especially become true since I switched to a Cutco - I have now butchered ~8 animals with my Cutco without sharpening it. It's time, but still...on my sheep hunt with my wife I will not be carrying a stone. As for the 2nd knife, if you're bringing along something like a havalon for doing fleshing work and turning eyes/ears/etc, then bring it...but if it's just another skinning or butchering knife, leave it behind.

I'd freak out having out so few things on a hunt. Good thing Jake can haul a kitchen sink. Might hafta save my pennies.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I got a set of trekking poles from Barney's yesterday. They make a huge difference climbing up lazy mountain.

Brian, the knives I am referring to is that exact combination. My Cutco That I just got, and a havalon piranta. What kind of Cutco knife do you use? I noticed at the sportsmans show that one had a serrated edge, and one had a smooth edge. I wonder if they both keep Thier edge that long. I bought the smooth edged knife.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ii usually go in around 75-85 lbs....clients usually around 40-55lb. but don't get to caught up in pack weight. just be in shape and it won't matter to the ounce like sheep gear salesman would lead you to believe.
    Sounds similar to the weights we carry when going in my wife, perhaps I should charge her more

I have the smooth edge. I would not bother with the sharpening stone. That knife holds an edge amazingly long. I need to send mine in for a touch-up, but that's after multiple years of reasonably heavy use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I have the smooth edge. I would not bother with the sharpening stone. That knife holds an edge amazingly long. I need to send mine in for a touch-up, but that's after multiple years of reasonably heavy use.
    hmm what cutco do you have Brian I might have to try one.On sheep hunts I have always used my little 3 inch folding buck or something like that that a hunter gave me a long time ago, crappy little thing but always worked great for sheep but sharpened so much that theres not much left of the blade..
    dave

Duckslayer,

I have used the serrated Cutco and the havalon for the last three years and it is a great combo I usually just have the Cutco sharpened at the end of the year as I can get through multiple animals without sharpening, thinking about trying the Lone Wolf (Benchmade) Landslide orange handled 3.5 oz folder to save weight (along with the havalon). Additionally you mentioned bringing a book one of the best tips that I rcvd was to bring a kindle the new $79 version weighs 5.9 oz fits in your back pocket and it has a thirty day battery life so when you get weathered in for a day or two or three you can have not only one book to read but as many as you would like to load up, plus you can save an ounce or two over a regular book, and it is way more compact measuring in at 6.5 x 4.5 x .25". As far as the saw, I think it is outdoor edge makes a saw called the Griz and the Kodiak one is slightly larger both are light with T handles, however I may try the bone saw with the duck tape. I was talking with a top sheep guide and he and his guides do not even bring a saw. Their thought process is why pack a 16 oz Wyoming saw up and down the mountain for two to ten days that can add up to 10 or 15 miles or more, when they simple pass on the saw and carry the skull minus the lower jaw (2- 3 lbs difference supposedly) out along with the horns out only once which is usually down hill for 5 miles to the airstrip. Anyway food for thought. Best of luck...

Just as a side note, it's a little work with just the saw blade but it worked and it was nice for the ribs too as we ate them off the bone back at camp. Plus you really can't beat the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hmmmmmmm......these Cutcos seem pretty interesting. But you have to "send them in" to be sharpened? I've heard about them but never really looked into them. I also only take one knife for skinning and butchering, but I do like a small skinny bladed knife for capeing.

I use bring a couple of heavy duty trash bags and use that to lay the meat out on. They also keep blood off my pack while packing, shelter my gear and/or meat at night, and even work as as a emergency tent fly (don't ask on that one). Only weigh a couple of oz.

The last few years, I've been skipping the bone saw since I like euro mounts.

I would highly recommend good binoculars. You will spend lots of time with them. I've tried to skimp a couple times and bring compacts, but always regretted it. If you wear them in the cub, they won't count against your 50 lb limit.

Yk

I used just the havalon on a sheep. If you know where the joints are it is not a problem. I used one blade on a sheep, but did have a few extras just in case. Also if you are using a havalon I think it is a must to bring a micro leatherman. I wouldn't change out the blades without using a pair of plyers. Also you can not twist them; if you do they will break.

I am going to stick with the Cutco for dealing with the meat. I am afraid to lose a blade inside the meat somewhere, as somebody pointed out in another thread.

Has anybody tried out one of these Zip Saws?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104320080

I was thinking the same thing about the kindle. I am going to see if I can find a used one on Ebay. I bet a few people are looking to upgrade to one of the newer models.

1: I bring 2 HD large plastic garbage bags. You can lay meat on these if needed when boning. Be careful to not cut holes in them. I put bagged meat in these in my pack, you can lay the meat in a cold creek bottom,etc. to keep meat cool and dry.

2: My pack cover is an XL Outdoor Resarch that is big enough to curl up in as an emergency bivi. That along with a space blanket (thin ones) or one of the SOL Emergency Blankets will work in the event of a siwash.

3: If you are going to do a euro mount leave the saw at home. Otherwise there are lots of way you can go. I have a light weight Stanley from home depot.

Oh, and bring the binos!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

[QUOTE=Snyd;1105197] I have a light weight Stanley from home depot.

QUOTE]

those stanley tool box saws are the greatest saw I ever used for cutting skulls and moose ribs.... I never carried one in the mountains but they are great and sharp...

I was thinking the same thing about the kindle. I am going to see if I can find a used one on Ebay.
    You're actually thinking about packing a Kindle up a mountain sheep hunting? Remember, you are talking about a hunt where guys used to take their Mt.House meals out of the wrapping just to make things lighter.....lol. And I've always said may as well pull off that top button on your shirt cause you won't need that. Oh well, after the first sheep hunt you'll learn. I remember my first....after we crossed the river the first thing we did was stop and start emptying our packs saying......."nope don't need that.....nope don't need that....nope don't need that".......lol

Good Luck and have a great trip...!!!

I sure miss it, but hopefully this goat hunt will make up for all the years I haven't been sheep hunting now.....

I figure I can just offset the weight by secretly stuffing some of my stuff in my buddies pack.

I figure I can just offset the weight by secretly stuffing some of my stuff in my buddies pack.
    Ha...!!! That'l work until he finds it......then he'll say you don't get any of it because he lugged it up the mountain..........lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast