Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A few sheep gear questions

Default A few sheep gear questions

I have spent the day trying to figure out what is getting cut from my gear list and what isn't, as well as estimating the weight of all the gear I will be taking. A few questions came up in my research:

1. Do you guys carry a small tarp with you to bone out your meat? I always carry one for caribou and like how my meat comes back clean. I was looking at a 4x6, and a 6X8 Tarp, the small one weighs in at 10oz, and the bigger one weighs in at about 1 pound. I am just wondering if there is a better option than a tarp.

2. What kind of bivy shelters do you guys carry? I was looking at the mountain hardware bivy bag, but I want to know if anybody has any recommendations before I buy blindly.

3. I had a Gerber folding saw, but it broke on my last caribou hunt. I am trying to find one that is light weight, but not going to break on me, and hopefully doesn't take an hour to cut the horns off the skull.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I have my pack down to about 31 pounds, which leaves me 19 pounds for food. I still need to weigh my gear without the all the carry bags, and other misc they come with. I am hoping I can get my gear down to 25, which would allow me to get 25 pounds of food, and more time on the mountain. And maybe it would allow me to throw in a book to read while I am waiting for the season to open, or the weather to clear.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

no tarp for me. sometimes i'll have my noahs tarp and just my OR bivy bag/sleeping bag and no tent. But usually won't have both. one or the other. tent is 3lbs, sleeping bag is 3lbs, i think my noahs tarp/bivy bag/sleeping bag is about 5lb so no real savings there, just a matter of preference i suppose.
    i have a saw thats nice and light grizzly saw or something its called, cost about 20 bucks from sportsman and has a skeletonized hard plastic scabard for it. works really well and really light!

After a sheep hunt, you'll be amazed at what you could have done with out....as long as nothing goes wrong. if the crap hits the fan you'll never have the right stuff or enough of it!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

1) small sheet of tyvek- keeps inside of pack clean.

2) No bivy.

3) Outdoor's edge folding saw- 25-35$ use coupon.

Best,
    Thomas

1 no tarp, my emergency space blanket doubles as a tarp if needed
    2 tent and bag no need for a bivy for me my little tent for spike fits two and worth the extra pound or two .
    3 never carried a saw on a sheep hunt...

take a book or you will regret it if fogged in, wayyyy better to read book then the tags on a tent or counting little squares in the fabric of the tent

dont over look the little stuff like spare laces forboots,clevice pins for packs,blister kits,wrap water bottle with duct tape, wrap gun barrel with electric tape, I carry nylon sticky back tape for tent repair(kind of torture to have a drip on you at night) also works on sleep pads if you use thermarest also works on holes in glacier socks,tape for measuring horns,lighters,small bottle of bens bug dope. I have this little stuff and some other mini odds and ends in my pack always,only weighs a few ownces but just try to walk out with no lace in your boot...

Barney's has what looked like a light weight super slick saw hanging in the back by their axes.

All blade one piece with a small handle on the end. Maybe 5-8 oz.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Are you using the space blanket to butcher your sheep on? If that is the case, that is a great idea, that is something I can stuff in my pocket and not have to weigh it with my pack. I found this KUIU gear has big pockets so hopefully I can stuff a bunch of stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Are you using the space blanket to butcher your sheep on? If that is the case, that is a great idea, that is something I can stuff in my pocket and not have to weigh it with my pack. I found this KUIU gear has big pockets so hopefully I can stuff a bunch of stuff in there.
    depends on where the sheep ends up(I hate dirty meat!!!)... I have in the dirt used it but no real need in the rocks or grass. Also not the little cheapy blankets i use the one thats a little heavier duty but still super light. also works to keep meat dry when waiting on a plane,,used the same one many years now for that.. just one of those things I never leave home with out as it has many uses including saving you if you need to spend a night on the ide of the mountain without your bag...

trying to drop weight but stuff a bunch of stuff in big pockets...?! lol
    to answer your question i don't bone my sheep on a tarp. i filet my sheep one side at a time, front shoulder gets boned right on top of the rib cage, but hind quarters are easy, hold it in the air with one hand and just peel that meat off with the other so the meat either drops in the hide you've skinned off or rests on the rib cage...pop the front shoulder off and just lay it on the skined hide as well or rib cag and go to work. a garbage bay would be way easier/cheaper/lighter for boning meat on if you really felt like you needed it. sheep are pretty small in that department.
    Master guide 212

1. I wouldn't waste 10 ounces on the tarp but thats just me,a space blanket can be used for many things.I usally just use the skin to bone meat on.
    2. Ive used my OR aurora bivey on a few hunts but stays home more times than not.They are sure nice to climb in and glass on them cold windy days!!
    3. We came up with the idea last year to take just bone saw blade from a wyoming saw and wrap our spare eltrical tape on both ends for a handle.A little slow but worked on a sheep and a goat last year,never gonna pack another saw up the hills again.

You are doing good being at 50lbs with 19lbs of food!!You sure no how to prep for a sheep hunt for your first one.Good luck in the hills this fall,Only 131 days left for me to enjoy the best thing about living in alaska!!!

Are you including your rifle weight? Your weight seems extremely light. As for a saw, I simply took a Wyoming bone saw blade and wrapped duct tape around one end for a handle. Then I took a piece of brown paper bag and folded it then wrapped duct tape around it for a sheath do the blade didn't chew anything up in my pack. I cut the ribs off with it and the horns. It weighs 1.5 oz I believe.

How much does your pack and rifle weigh? What about optics? Game bags, stove, fuel, clothing, etc. I've pared my stuff down to pretty much bare essentials and some fairly lightweight gear choices and I'm at about 49 lbs! Get a digital mail scale and weigh your gear accurately to the ounce.

My little stuff included extra pins for pack, parachute cord, carabiner, a couple lighters, bug dope, small diamond sharpener, small bottle of ib profen/tylenol, Blister meds, cleaning wipe for optics, lightweight towel, multitool, and a couple bungie cords. Good call on the boot laces and the tape.

I hate dirty meat as well, that's why I like to pack a tarp. I will be on the lookout for one of those space blankets.

Thanks for the heads up on the saws as well. I will check out Sportsmans this weekend. I was just in Barney's yesterday and didn't think to look for a saw there. DOH!!! I need to go back in and get a pair of glacier socks and a cover for my pack anyway.

A lightweight piece of thin plastic might be lighter. Kotton and I picked up a couple cheap space blankets at the last minute and we used them to cover meat from rain and keep shade on the bags while it was sunny.

ducks this is what i have in my pack...little heaver at 12 ounces but it doubles for a lot of things and does not tear like the cheapies,emergency blanket, meat tarp.wind break,ect used it many many times on lots of sheep hunts as well all other hunts..

http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket

i'd recommend NOT weighing your gear. pack what you need, no more no less. but don't let that number bounce around in your head to long. you can pull of a sheep hunt with a heavy pack and you can pull it off with a light pack.
    i load it, then weight it...i usually go in around 75-85 lbs....clients usually around 40-55lb. but don't get to caught up in pack weight. just be in shape and it won't matter to the ounce like sheep gear salesman would lead you to believe.
    Master guide 212

You'll have to update your business motto to "drunken duck and sheep hunting"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i'd recommend NOT weighing your gear. pack what you need, no more no less. but don't let that number bounce around in your head to long. you can pull of a sheep hunt with a heavy pack and you can pull it off with a light pack.
    i load it, then weight it...i usually go in around 75-85 lbs....clients usually around 40-55lb. but don't get to caught up in pack weight. just be in shape and it won't matter to the ounce like sheep gear salesman would lead you to believe.
    I would be afraid to weigh my pack before a sheep hunt...lol

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i load it, then weight it...i usually go in around 75-85 lbs....clients usually around 40-55lb.
    Easy for you to say. I've seen pics of you hauling a pack with a clients strapped to the back of it.

Do you haul in a case of Coke on every hunt?? That explains the 75-85lbs.

Sorry, I didn't see the posts after Mr. Bear's post as I was typing.

That wyoming saw idea is also an excellent one, Saves me a bunch of money too!

As for weight I am only talking about what is going to be in the pack on the flight out. 40 mile does not count your rifle against your weight on the flight in so I wasn't counting that as well.

For optics I have a Swaro HD spotter, and a Cullman tripod, I am not sure if I am bringing Binos, I have a set of Leupold 10x42s, and I am strongly thinking of bringing them. I have counted the weight of the spotting scope and tripod, and my range finder. The only things I haven't added to the estimate of my pack is my two knives and sharpener, and salt. I also have not counted extra socks, underwear, and longjohns yet, as I am not sure what I am going to get yet. I even weighed a roll of TP without the cardboard center, (10 oz BTW)

From this thread alone I have already eliminated a little over 2 pounds.

ditch the tripod....

and add a case of coke....
    Master guide 212

Bring the binos,I know it's been done but I wouldn't ever cut weight to leave them at home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast