Thread: Western Extreme Afognak Blacktail TV show

Default Western Extreme Afognak Blacktail TV show

I watched the Western Extreme TV show today and they were going after blacktails on Afognak. The host finally found one in range of his bow and he nailed it....while it was standing on a logging road.

I am wondering how the Troopers would view the shot though? The deer was crossing a logging road that had enough obvious tire tracks on it that it was in current use and not abandoned. There was no reference for where the hunter shot from. He could have been on the road or just off of it hiding with his bow. However the deer was dead center on the road surface when it was hit with the arrow.

So we can't shoot while standing on a road surface dirt or paved. We can't shoot across a road. But can we shoot an animal that is standing on a road surface?

In Alaska, hunters are not allowed to shoot on, from or across any driveable surface of a road. It does not say they cannot shoot to to a road. but if the arrow passed through and hit the ground on the other side of the road, technically that would be an illegal shot. In addition, there was just a hunting couple that was recently arrested for illegally taking game on an outdoors TV show. Ill link an article about the case.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/04...deral-charges/

Drivable or "maintained" surface??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Public or private?

So we can't shoot while standing on a road surface dirt or paved. We can't shoot across a road. But can we shoot an animal that is standing on a road surface?[/QUOTE]

No

IIRC, the restrictions apply to publically maintained roads. Private roads or temporary roads (logging, construction etc) don't apply.

**CORRECTION**
    Went and looked it up (should've done that first). 1st item on page 18 of the regs under General Hunting Restrictions for All Game:

"Shooting on, from, or across the driveable surface of any constructed road or highway"
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Should've known better.

I saw that episode of AK State Troopers where Trooper Massey had the decoy moose out.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I guess the next question is... Is it still a driveable surface if its not open to be driven on?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I guess the next question is... Is it still a driveable surface if its not open to be driven on?
    It sure is.

Default Bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by shmobag View Post
    In Alaska, hunters are not allowed to shoot on, from or across any driveable surface of a road. It does not say they cannot shoot to to a road. but if the arrow passed through and hit the ground on the other side of the road, technically that would be an illegal shot. In addition, there was just a hunting couple that was recently arrested for illegally taking game on an outdoors TV show. Ill link an article about the case.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/04...deral-charges/
    They didn't have Nebraska hunting licenses. Its hard enough for show producers to weed out the knuckle heads (who claim they're the best and baddest) who may guest appear on shows, but its beyond me how this simple item slipped by the production team.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I didn't see the show but it seems to me that the key word in the regs, legally speaking, is "constructed" not "driveable". A two-track logging road is not necessarily a constructed road, especially if it's in an old cut and begun to over grow. I'm not defending shooting across roads, but the point of this restriction is public safety and there's no real threat to that in an old clearcut.

To the point that these TV producers and hosts need to read, understand, and comply with the regs for the area they're hunting? I agree completely.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I didn't see the show but it seems to me that the key word in the regs, legally speaking, is "constructed" not "driveable". A two-track logging road is not necessarily a constructed road, especially if it's in an old cut and begun to over grow. I'm not defending shooting across roads, but the point of this restriction is public safety and there's no real threat to that in an old clear cut.
    Actually, older cuts that have begun to over grow are great places to hunt and the best way to access them is via grown over roads or old two tracks, whether it is on foot or ATV(where legal). The point is that people still use them even if it is an old cut, the restriction is there for public safety. Even if the road is grown over with alders and "appears to be" no longer driven upon, a trooper is going to be salivating on his ticket book when some poor schlepp shoots from, across, onto, over, etc..etc...

5 AAC 99.021. Definition

In addition to the definitions in AS 16.05.940 , in this chapter "road-connected area" means the location of domiciles that are normally accessed by motorized highway vehicles operating on constructed roads that connect to the main highway system in the relevant area, including roads that can be negotiated during all portions of the year; in this section, "normally accessed" means that it is reasonably feasible to transport persons, food, and other supplies to domiciles by motorized highway vehicles.
    The term highway is also defined as a "constructed road".

By all means talk to legal council on this but I read the regs for a "road" in the same way that the above defines road connected areas. If it it can't be reasonably traveled by a "highway vehicle" (car) then it isn't a road.

Is the Actual name of that show, "Western Extreme TV" ??

trying to find it online somewhere, no luck so far
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I had a pretty good conversation about this with a F&W trooper on Prince of Wales in November. Logging road or not, it's not legal to shoot a critter on it. I even expressly asked about roads that were blocked off and he still said it wouldn't be legal until it was so overgrown it wasn't passable by a motor vehicle anymore.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I watched the video and I would not have shot that deer on that road. It appeared to be a road that could pretty clearly be driven in a Honda civic comfortably and it sure looked like there was fresh vehicle tracks from a highway vehicle. Certainly not what I envisioned in my earlier post. I would shoot on an over grown 2-track like are pretty common on the mainland or an old mining trail but not a gravel road like in the video.

I will admit that I will feel for the guy if he loses his deer over this one. There certainly wasn't any "danger" in the shot and if the video representation is accurate he put in the work and wasn't "road hunting".