Thread: Single hook regulations

Default Single hook regulations

Hello,
    Later this year I will be fishing in an area that is subject to the single hook regulations. It is my understanding, from reading the regulations, that the single hook must have a gap not greater than 1/2". I use mostly pixies and always replace the treble hooks with single hooks but after measuring my spoons I see that I don't have a single spoon that meets the 1/2" requirement. I live in Louisiana and we don't have siwash style hooks in this part of the country so I am going to order some from Cabela's. What I would like to know is what size gamagatsu siwash hook do I need to order to meet the gap requirement?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie

I feel bad that no one has even given you a response.

First you want to be sure of the regulations for where you want to fish. The regs for a lot of Alaska can be REALLY confusing and asking for advice about them on this forum can sometimes get you just as confusing an answer. If I were you I'd actually call the ADF&G and get your information from them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I feel bad that no one has even given you a response.

First you want to be sure of the regulations for where you want to fish. The regs for a lot of Alaska can be REALLY confusing and asking for advice about them on this forum can sometimes get you just as confusing an answer. If I were you I'd actually call the ADF&G and get your information from them.
    Muttley Crew,
    Thanks for taking time to reply. I will contact them as you suggest.

Charlie

Muttley Crew,
    I contacted the ADF&G and they confirmed that the 1/2" gap is a requirement in the single hook areas.

Again, I would appreciate some help on finding a hook that will meet this requirement.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some assistance.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Muttley Crew,
    I contacted the ADF&G and they confirmed that the 1/2" gap is a requirement in the single hook areas.

Again, I would appreciate some help on finding a hook that will meet this requirement.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer some assistance.

Charlie
    See, that pretty much points out how confusing the regs can get up here. I've never heard of a 1/2" gap rule for single hook waters. But it's been a long time since I've fished any single hook restricted waters, so I don't keep up on the rules.

To add to the confusion I do know that if you're fishing in a "fly fishing only" area like on the Kenai near the Russian River the gap on the hook can't be any larger than 3/8".

Where is it you plan on fishing? And where did you see the reg about not using a single hook with a gap larger than 1/2"? I'm just curious.

Regardless, if you don't get an answer here I'd try just contacting Gamakatsu (http://www.gamakatsu.com/) and asking them. I think they should know.

I would also like to know where this is spelled out in the regs about 1/2" gap for single hook

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    I would also like to know where this is spelled out in the regs about 1/2" gap for single hook
    Yeah, I know that the regs say in fresh water when fishing with a "multiple hook" (eg. a treble hook) the gap on the hooks can't exceed 1/2", but that "single hook" rule is a new one to me.

I'm thinking there was some confusion in that conversation. I cant find that reg anywhere I've looked

Mutley Crew & Reel Bob,

I emailed the ADF&G my question to make sure I was compliant. I am posting my email and their reply below:

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 11:07 AM
    To: Wood, Michael A (DFG)
    Subject: Re: Shore fishing in the Ketchikan Area
    Mike,
    I will be fishing in downtown Ketchikan at the creek that runs through town. I believe it is called Creek Street Bridge. Is that a single hook area?
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Charlie

To: Charlie
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:28 PM
    Subject: RE: Shore fishing in the Ketchikan Area

Yes, that is Thomas Basin and that is single hook.
    No snagging allowed, but bait is allowed seaward of the bridge.
    Above the bridge is Ketchikan Creek and it does not open until September 15.
    In waters designated as single-hook waters, sport fishing is permitted only as follows:
    1) With not more than one single hook with gap between point and shank one-half inch or less
    2) Hooks or lures (including those of standard manufacture) may not have additional weight attached to them; weights may be used only ahead of the hook or lure.
    Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
    Mike Wood
    ADF&G Sport Fish
    Ketchikan, Ak
    907-225-2859

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me.

Charlie

Ohhhhh. I didn't realize it was in Ketchikan. I'm kind of guessing that's a special regulation for that area because I have never heard of a "single hook" rule like that up in these parts. Once again that just points out how convoluted the regs can be in AK. Thanks for the clarification.

Charlie, a #1 or 1/0 size siwash-style hook should be good. I've picked up some from Bass Pro for my summer trip, but since we're saltwater fishing I'm using size 5/0 and the model # (Mustad 95160) doesn't appear to be made in smaller sizes. Shoot me a PM to remind me on Friday and I'll go to my local BPS & see what manufacturer/model of hook would be right.

edit: a Mustad 9175UP in those sizes would probably make a good jig hook that will comply with the regs