Thread: Change in boundary of North Gulf Coast Shrimping permit

Default Change in boundary of North Gulf Coast Shrimping permit

I was in at F&G picking up my PWS permit, and I asked about the North Gulf Coast (NGC) permit. I usually get one of these since I spend part of the summer out of Seward, although I have not bothered to shrimp much there. They said that they are still at the printers due to a last minute boundary change. The boundary is now Gore Point to Cape Fairfield! The PWS and NGC permits now butt up so that there is continuous coverage along this region.

They say that they will have the permits in within a couple of days. I am not sure if this includes within Resurrection Bay or not, but it could make navigation a bit trickier going into Seward.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

can't wait to run into shrimp lines rounding cape resurerection

Will there be an administrative change to the regs? The 2012 regs still show shrimping only west of Aialik Cape. The NGC and PWS boundaries have always butted up on the east side of the NGC limit, although that has moved in the past. Maybe ADFG was confused on this point?

According to ADFG Press Release dated March 29 2012, Commies also picked additional grounds inside PWS. This new area includes to the north bottom of Perry Passage down past Culross Passage to the SW and continues south to the entrance into Port Nellie Juan down to and including Derickson Bay, Blue Fiord and MC Clure Bay. Exact coordinates can be found on the back of the press release ~ yellow colored map is somewhat hard to read. Sorry, I tried to locate the electronic link but couldn't find it ~ only have the hard copy I picked up @ ADFG.

Pretty amazing. Here is the new boundary. They say permits will be available on Monday.

Attachment 58810

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Shrimping inside Res. Bay. That should get crowded pretty fast.

Actual text from F & G:

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME DIVISION OF COMMERCIAL FISHERIES NEWS RELEASE

Cora Campbell, Commissioner Jeff Regnart, Director
    Charlie Trowbridge, Area Shellfish Management Biologist

Phone: (907) 235-8191 Fax: (907) 235-2448

Homer Area Office 3298 Douglas Place Homer, Alaska 99603
    Date Issued: 04/6/2012

ANNOUNCEMENT
    NORTH GULF COAST PERSONAL USE SHRIMP FISHERY OPENS AREA EXTENDED BY EMERGENCY ORDER
    EO # 2-SF-H-02-12

The Personal Use season for shrimp fishing with pot gear in North Gulf Coast (NGC) area waters will open April 15. At its March shellfish meeting, the Alaska Board of Fisheries adopted a proposal to open additional NGC waters between Cape Aialik and Cape Fairfield and including Resurrection Bay. Figure 1 shows the expanded area open to personal use shrimp fishing.
    Only Alaska residents may participate in this fishery. A permit is required prior to harvesting shrimp. Permits are free and will be available beginning April 11 during regular business hours at ADF&G offices in Anchorage, Soldotna, Homer, and at the Fish House in Seward. A person must possess or be named as a household member on a permit to participate in the fishery and the permit must be in possession of the person fishing for shrimp. Harvest information must be entered on the permit catch log prior to leaving the fishing grounds.
    Legal gear for the fishery is five pots per person and per vessel. Each shrimp pot must meet the mesh and biodegradable escape mechanism requirements as described on the permit.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../119348720.pdf

Hummm? This should be interesting, as nearly every where is fished hard!!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Here is the official announcement:

NR03-SF-H-12 NGC shrimp area adjusted.docx
    ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    DIVISION OF COMMERCIAL FISHERIES
    NEWS RELEASE
    Cora Campbell, Commissioner
    Jeff Regnart, Director
    Charlie Trowbridge, Area Shellfish Management Biologist 3298 Douglas Place
    Homer, Alaska 99603
    Phone: (907) 235-8191 Date Issued: 04/6/2012
    Fax: (907) 235-2448
    ANNOUNCEMENT
    NORTH GULF COAST PERSONAL USE SHRIMP FISHERY OPENS
    AREA EXTENDED BY EMERGENCY ORDER
    EO # 2-SF-H-02-12
    The Personal Use season for shrimp fishing with pot gear in North Gulf Coast (NGC) area waters
    will open April 15. At its March shellfish meeting, the Alaska Board of Fisheries adopted a
    proposal to open additional NGC waters between Cape Aialik and Cape Fairfield and including
    Resurrection Bay. Figure 1 shows the expanded area open to personal use shrimp fishing.
    Only Alaska residents may participate in this fishery. A permit is required prior to harvesting
    shrimp. Permits are free and will be available beginning April 11 during regular business hours
    at ADF&G offices in Anchorage, Soldotna, Homer, and at the Fish House in Seward. A person
    must possess or be named as a household member on a permit to participate in the fishery and
    the permit must be in possession of the person fishing for shrimp. Harvest information must be
    entered on the permit catch log prior to leaving the fishing grounds.
    Legal gear for the fishery is five pots per person and per vessel. Each shrimp pot must meet the
    mesh and biodegradable escape mechanism requirements as described on the permit.
    -continuedNR03-
    SF-H-12 NGC shrimp area adjusted.docx
    Figure 1. Open waters and reporting areas for the 2012 North Gulf Coast personal use shrimp fishery.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We never had as good of luck shrimping in Aialik as we have in PWS. I wonder if we were trying to shrimp too deep. It's tough to find good looking structure greater than 400 feet or so and not in the swells. What has been others experience in terms of fishing depth?

This ought to prove interesting to say the least!

This is pretty good news. It will be intesting to prospect closer in then having to make a run arround Ailaik. Not going to put my hopes on too much success, but will be nice to try.

That's an interesting change, would be nice to drop a couple pots while running out to pony cove. I spend 90% of my time on the water out of Seward and have done some prospecting in Aialik, but I generally don't do much fishing back there. Nice to see them open up the boundaries a bit.