Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to live

Default Best place to live

Hello again. Like in my previous post I will start off with this. I am an 18 year old man inspired by a dream to one day move to Alaska for the adventure and expiriences that come with it that are nothing like any other place in the world. I love hunting and fishing but you can only get so much in Pittsburgh. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best locations to live in Alaska for outdoor endevers such as hunting, fishing, etc. I would love to live in a place with the greatest variety of animals cause where I live, if you want to big game hunt, its just deer. Also a place where the fishing is good as well, where I can fish the salmom runs when they occer but trout when they arn't. Any suggestions?

There's no place thats far from all the great outdoors stuff. To truly get out into the really rich fish or game rich areas, you have to drive a decent ways no matter where you are. I'd focus on what place has a good job or school for you and build your outdoors plans around that. For every location, there are unique advantages and drawbacks.

For salmon, theres no place on the road system like the Kenai peninsula IMO, but the moose hunting there has been cut down to almost nothing, from what I hear.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yakutat. Not much in the area for employment, but I love the fishing/hunting opportunities. Great surf to.

Go Steelers!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by bjennings2012 View Post
    Hello again. Like in my previous post I will start off with this. I am an 18 year old man inspired by a dream to one day move to Alaska for the adventure and expiriences that come with it that are nothing like any other place in the world. I love hunting and fishing but you can only get so much in Pittsburgh. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best locations to live in Alaska for outdoor endevers such as hunting, fishing, etc. I would love to live in a place with the greatest variety of animals cause where I live, if you want to big game hunt, its just deer. Also a place where the fishing is good as well, where I can fish the salmom runs when they occer but trout when they arn't. Any suggestions?
    From the sounds of things ... sounds like you want to go to school to become a history teacher so you can afford to play in the outdoors. With respect to this thread and your other thread ... I would suggest Fairbanks.

Instead of a history degree ... how about a science degree (money and job opportunities should be better).

If I were in your shoes ... I'd strongly consider becoming a firefighter or paramedic. Good pay and a good number of consecutive days off.

You must decide what is more inportant money or the outdoors and go from there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd say climate preference is going to be a huge factor in answering your question. A small Southeast town, Glennallen, Fairbanks, Seward, or even Anchorage might be great options...but it depends on whether you prefer very cold winters and dry (interior), warmer but very wet and cloudy (southeast), or something in between(southcentral or western ak). Also, do you prefer mountain hunting or timber? Saltwater fishing or freshwater? It's a huge state, needless to say.

Or get a job on the slope and enjoy the best of both worlds....6 months off and a decent wage allows you to live anywhere you want, literally.
    BK

bjginnings2012,

(These little gems are gonna ignite some spirited debate....)
    Life requires some money. The recreation you mentioned requires money.
    Alaska's largest city, Anchorage, has the most jobs, and the largest cash flow.
    Anchorages sister cities just to the north-Wasilla, Palmer, Willow, ect-also known as Mat-Su Valley- has housing that averages 100K less per residential house. But they generally earn less also. Certainly not always, but generally. And more than 30 percent of those who are employed and living in Mat-Su Valley are working in Anchorage. And oddly, of those that are employed in Anchorage and living in Mat-Su Valley, the largest single employer is the Municipality Of Anchorage. (That's weird!)
    So although the average cost of a residential house in Mat-Su Valley/Borough is 100 K less than in the Anchorage Borough, those making that daily commute are driving two+ hours per day and traveling approximately 80 to 120 miles per day. At $4.00+- per gallon of gas and daily wear on a vehicle I'm not certain who really has the best deal and the finest quality of life.
    Alaska is riding at about 8 percent unemployment overall.
    Anchorage is at about 6 percent unemployed.
    Mat-Su Valley is at about 9 percent unemployed annually, 10 percent now, but many resident in Mat-Su are only "loosely attached" to any labor market (the "end-of-the-roaders"), and remember that 30 percent of those employed and living in Mat-Su Borough are working in the Anchorage Borough.
    Juneau has high employment, but expensive housing.
    The bush communities always have higher rates of unemployment.
    The town of Skagway recently had about 25 percent unemployed.

(...just a few rough gems for more detailed discussions...)

So bjginnings2012, where is it best for an 18 year old male outdoorsman to reside? I'm not sure.
    Living comforts can be important. Weather conditions can be important. Education opportunities can be important. Sustainable work can be important. Girls might be important to you.
    What is your current occupation? What is in your toolbox? What is your skill-set?
    So waz you want? Waz you really want? What is your paradise? Where is your heaven on earth?
    Onward and upward...

They will dispose of my carcass around here.

Im already in Heaven, so Im reallly not leaving.

Everything is here if your tough enough to get it and live without comforts, and 7$ + a gallon gas...... Fishing and Hunting can be a living.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

You need to review the anwser to your post down in the "relocating to Alaska" forum. That answer provides good general concepts for you to consider. Once you consider that generalized info then get a map and start looking at towns. Once you find a town in a region that you think might work out then start googling it and see what comes up.

If you stick with Education with a History degree you are fixing yourself to large towns like Fairbanks, Anchorage, Palmer-Wasilla that have the most population and a tax base to support specialized teachers. Off the road system you need to be very useful to the education program and history is not the way. On that other thread you were give some good links to the education information up here.

As stated there and here, Alaska has it all, but its all spread out across 570,665 square miles, and there are only three roads. Your current state has only 44,817 square miles, and has how many thousands of roads?

The best place to live is a question only you can answer. Or just read Outside magazine and let them define that for you. Good luck in Boise.

Stick to your idea of going to UAF for college. Fairbanks is a great town to test yourself out in. You will get exposure to the native culture, bush culture, off the griders, oil field wonks, politicians, government hacks, and the large military in the wilderness presence. Its the best place in Alaska to dip your toe in before you jump off the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd say climate preference is going to be a huge factor in answering your question. A small Southeast town, Glennallen, Fairbanks, Seward, or even Anchorage might be great options...but it depends on whether you prefer very cold winters and dry (interior), warmer but very wet and cloudy (southeast), or something in between(southcentral or western ak). Also, do you prefer mountain hunting or timber? Saltwater fishing or freshwater? It's a huge state, needless to say.
    I don't think I would like the southeast. From what I heard its much more expensive and the idea of rain for days doesn't strike my interest. Also im not much of a salt water fishermen. I would rather find a nice freshwater stream and chase trout up and down it all day over siting in a boat fishing for Halibut anyday. Besides that I have no preference. Although I feel like I would like a place where I am closer to timber hunting so I can hunt bear, moose ect, however maybe on occasion make a trip to the mountains for a change of setting. Like I said I would love variety because where I'm from, you have one option for hunting and that's deer, so I would like a change. And in regards to Wet eNuf's post, im not a science guy lol. I understand it's harder to find a job as a history teacher but I believe in the statement, "find a job you love and you won't have to work a day in your life" But who knows. I know things change so my ideas of my future can change easily in a short amount of time. But however that occurs I am pretty sure I will end up in Alaska lol

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Stick to your idea of going to UAF for college. Fairbanks is a great town to test yourself out in. You will get exposure to the native culture, bush culture, off the griders, oil field wonks, politicians, government hacks, and the large military in the wilderness presence. Its the best place in Alaska to dip your toe in before you jump off the dock.
    Haha! That's funny but so true. UAF is a microcosm of Alaska. At UAF you will meet all the various 'groups' of people and then you can tell if you're cut out for Anchorage, Girdwood, the Valley, Fairbanks, Southeast, or even the bush. There's not enough commercial fisherman to really get a feel for the Kenai, but still. Great point Ray. Rep points inbound.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by bjennings2012 View Post
    I don't think I would like the southeast. I would rather find a nice freshwater stream and chase trout up and down it all day over siting in a boat fishing for Halibut anyday. Besides that I have no preference. Although I feel like I would like a place where I am closer to timber hunting so I can hunt bear, moose ect,
    I guess all those cutthroat trout and steelhead in southeast are safe then. Too bad the rest of the state outside of Bristol Bay has such poor trout fishing. Outside of the Kenai and Anchor all other trout fishing near Anchorage is hatchery stocked dog food eating nasty fish.

Also have not seen many moose in timber up here. Brush sure, but not in anything that I would call timber. You will want to hunt moose in as open a terrain as you can find as long as its not a knee deep swamp.

Keep in mind that Penn has black bears two to three times the size of the average AK black bear. Of course we have you outnumbered in brown bears.

If trout and salmon fishing along with moose and bear hunting are what you are after you need to not look further than Dillingham, King Salmon, Naknek, and the surrounding villages of Bristol Bay north to the Kuskokwim river. Just do not forget your head net and 55 gallon drum of Ben's bug dope.

If I was coming up here for the first time, I'd take a serious look at places like Tok, Delta, Glennallen, Manley, Nenana, etc; on the road, no property taxes, not too many people, good fishing and hunting opportunity (maybe not the ultimate, but good), some jobs, within a few hours of the big centers, yet close to wild country.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I guess all those cutthroat trout and steelhead in southeast are safe then. Too bad the rest of the state outside of Bristol Bay has such poor trout fishing. Outside of the Kenai and Anchor all other trout fishing near Anchorage is hatchery stocked dog food eating nasty fish.

Also have not seen many moose in timber up here. Brush sure, but not in anything that I would call timber. You will want to hunt moose in as open a terrain as you can find as long as its not a knee deep swamp.

Keep in mind that Penn has black bears two to three times the size of the average AK black bear. Of course we have you outnumbered in brown bears.

If trout and salmon fishing along with moose and bear hunting are what you are after you need to not look further than Dillingham, King Salmon, Naknek, and the surrounding villages of Bristol Bay north to the Kuskokwim river. Just do not forget your head net and 55 gallon drum of Ben's bug dope.
    Plenty of moose hang in some dang thick timber. Just walk through the woods around excursion inlet in SE Alaska.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've lived (more or less) all over the state and each region has it's own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Only you are fit to determine it. I'm impressed by your planning acumen, which is sorely lacking in most 18 year olds. Something to bear in mind is that most young folks starting their careers tend to move around a fair bit as they leverage various opportunities (and face a few setbacks)... I wouldn't worry too much about where you'll wind up cause you're not there yet and the ride is most of the fun anyway.

Everywhere up here has pretty good outdoor opportunities and it's own unique experiences. If you have to be tied to a college town- Fairbanks has much to offer.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

By the time you are ready to move...............there wil be an eligible, attractive, young lady or 2 in Noorvik, and her parents are very talented outdoors people..............as the pictures on this forum will show.
    Marrying in to an outdoors family is a big help in getting started!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

UAF is a great school. My daughter is there now and dong very well. And if you live there then you aren't far from REAL GOOD moose hunting. Understand tho.....that a lot of these towns/villages that some of these guys are mentioning are considered remote. Meaning once you're there.....you're there, unless you have a boat or plane. No roads in or out, so keep that in mind when you hear about some of these places.

I am tryin' to make room here...... But I think you'll find her in UAF as likely as Red Dog this Fall....... ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    They will dispose of my carcass around here.

Im already in Heaven, so Im reallly not leaving.

Everything is here if your tough enough to get it and live without comforts, and 7$ + a gallon gas...... Fishing and Hunting can be a living.
    I won't argue with you, but I love Dillingham and have no plans to leave.

As for the OP, you can't hunt everything from anyone one place in AK so you'll need to make some compromises. For my part, you couldn't pay me enough to live on the road system, but I know that some people actually like it. The one thing you should know is that regardless of what you like (with the exception of a true metropolitan area) AK has it to offer. The difficulty may be in finding out what you really like. For my part, I prefer bears to people.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast