Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trophy

Default trophy

What do you guys think of older trophy boats?

See one on CL for 22.5 that is tempting but I don't know much about them. We see them sometimes out in PWS.

Define old.
    And which models? Mine is a 1993 2002 WA, we were looking at a 2859 in the late 90's early 2000's age but they are 9' 9" wide which means way larger bill to go through the tunnel. And I drag mine down to Seward sometimes so it isn't feasible to just keep in in Whittier.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I see tons of older trophy's around. That tells me they hold up fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Define old.
    And which models? Mine is a 1993 2002 WA, we were looking at a 2859 in the late 90's early 2000's age but they are 9' 9" wide which means way larger bill to go through the tunnel. And I drag mine down to Seward sometimes so it isn't feasible to just keep in in Whittier.

Way larger bill? Isn't it only $30? Seems worth it for all that extra comfort.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Nothing wrong with the Trophy models. I would just do the typical routine of survey, motor inspection, and sea trial if possible. Does seem to be a lot of older models around, I assume if it was taken care it will serve you well. Seems to be lots of info on the web about them, would guess with some searching you could find any years/models that may have any systematic errors particular to them.

Bought this one off CL last year,Repowered it this winter. I love this boat 24' lots of room in tha back it's an 84. We looked at some 24' 2000's that had less room in the back

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger, what did you re-power with?

Motor vehicles, including any trailer with any load, more than 8.5 feet wide, excluding mirrors, but not more than 10 feet wide, $125.00
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Motor vehicles, including any trailer with any load, more than 8.5 feet wide, excluding mirrors, but not more than 10 feet wide, $125.00

http://dot.alaska.gov/creg/whittiertunnel/tolls.shtml

Class B1: "* Passenger and recreational vehicles pulling trailers hauling boats more than 8.5 feet wide but not more than 10 feet wide, not more than 14 feet high, the total combined length cannot be more than 75 feet, possessing a permit and displaying all markers required by the permit"

$20

Simply check it out thoroughly. I have an '84 Bayliner Explorer and we cruise all over PWS for 6 years now. No issues. It will handle bigger water than I care to be in.
    FYI - CAC plastics in Wasilla will do an inspection with a moisture meter for a small fee in order to evaluate the hull and wood structure.
    BK

Spoiled one, you just made my summer. I missed that one. Thats what I get for listening to others say they got charged extra,
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Actually it is B-2 which is 35. still better than the 125.00 I was thinking. I think I will look for a bigger boat this summer
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Actually it is B-2 which is 35. still better than the 125.00 I was thinking. I think I will look for a bigger boat this summer
    Thanks for the correction. It is $35. They will measure you. They do not just go by what the permit says. I do not think that the people doing the measuring paid much attention in math class. Comical to watch, really.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Thanks for the correction. It is $35. They will measure you. They do not just go by what the permit says. I do not think that the people doing the measuring paid much attention in math class. Comical to watch, really.

It is pretty amazing now much my boat shrinks and grows each year. Their measurements on my boat have varied by over 4 inches.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Had a 2004 22' Hewescraft HT loved that boat but it wasn't much for camping off. Sold it a couple years ago and picked up a 2001 2359. The boat is well built, handles crap well and overall we are happy with it.

The one thing almost all Trophies are know for is the silly fishboxes are not sealed so they are always full and all the crap off the deck ends up in them but otherwise no complaints about the hull.

[IMG][/IMG]

There was a guy on bayliners owners club that put the gas assist shocks on his and a better seal, then put a twisty type handle, it sdolved his problems, but I am not that industrious,

Only thing the Trophys have that erk me are the flappy rubber scuppers on the rear, I swapped them out for the Rabuds but the clear plastic crazed and cracked over the winter, plus the click clack of the balls slapping around drove me mostly insane. So I swapped back to the rubber flappies.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I only have one out the rear and it's a small one. The main drains on mine are out the sides 2 on each (right in front of the swimstep). I put inline check valves in them because stock, they didn't even have the flappers 2 people on the back deck and you had water splashing in.

Quote Originally Posted by ddmitchell View Post
    I only have one out the rear and it's a small one. The main drains on mine are out the sides 2 on each (right in front of the swimstep). I put inline check valves in them because stock, they didn't even have the flappers 2 people on the back deck and you had water splashing in.
    The one out the back is a drain line for the battery hatch cover drain. Where did you get your in-line check valves?

plus the click clack of the balls slapping around drove me mostly insane. So I swapped back to the rubber flappies.
    I was looking at buying those but did not Glad I stuck with the scuppers My boat the last owner stuck regular sing plugs in the holes on the deck
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Concerning an older Bayliner, they can be real value. Just be sure to look under the hood for dry rot, cracked fiberglass, valves, switches, wiring, etc. There are a lot of age issue potential problems with any older boat. The engine may not be fuel injected, which an give you some starting issues. But, the hull design is very seaworthy. My last boat was a 1991 2309. I bought a 26' Kingfisher three years ago, which I really like, but I think that the Bayliner took water better. And yes I hated those funkey fish box lids. We never used them and put our fish in a big cooler on the swim platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast