Thread: Primus Multi fuel stove

Default Primus Multi fuel stove

I know you guys like the bottled gas stoves but I just can't seem to get away from the liquid fuels. I've always had good luck with them and I have a Sven, Brunton, Coleman (several) and Primus that use white or unleaded gas and I'm on the trail of a new Primus multi fuel which sounds like the answer to fuel supply since I always have some sort of petrol available from a 4 wheeler, dirt bike, snow machine, boat or plane.

I wonder if it will use 2 stroke outboard gas mixed with oil? Seems like if it uses kero the the oil in the mix wouldn't bother it much....maybe a little soot.

Does anyone have any experience with the multi fuel stoves? How do you like them?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a Primus Omni-fuel stove. I bought it because it can burn many different liquid fuels as well as fuel from isobutane cannisters. This is especially valuable for me when I travel outside of the USA, where liquid white gas is often not available.

So far, the stove has performed very well and I'd recommend it. I don't have any complaints with it at all. It's fairly bulky and heavy for a hard-core "backpacking" stove, but that's a nit-picking observation. I expect to own and use it for a long time (I also have a Primus stove that my dad carried with him in WWII)

I've never tried burning 50:1 outboard mix in the Omni-fuel stove. I'd be cautious about that. On the other hand, if it doesn't work, not much can go "wrong" with the stove that you can't fix with a good cleaning. Maybe try burning a tank full of outboard mix at your house (instead of the backcountry) to see how it behaves.

Thanks for the comments and recomendation. I wanted to hear from someone before I made the investment. The boat motor fuel should work since there is a very low persentage of oil in the mix. Maybe use the kero jet to start and go from there. The omni fuel stove seems to the be the perfect stove for most application I will have since I always have a motor vehicle of some sort when I'm out.

Thanks again!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.