Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: judging that bull

Default judging that bull

ive heard many ways to judge the width of a rack(within inches)...lets here yours. Buddy (who has been avid ak hunter entire life) thought he had a 60" but ended up being 52", due to the extremly wide/thick palms, he guessed way off. i usually have been able to get them within two-three inches, lets here everyones theory. thanks

disregard thread if you guys want.....just found the old one, chime in still if ya have anything extra

If a bull is standing broad side, and he turns his head and and faces you, if the palm reaches the middle of ht hump its supposed to be 50....
    thats what I estimate anyway.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

yea ive heard that...ive also heard something about a 'full grown mooses' ears, layed out, if a guy can picture a foot on each side, he is pushing 50

I've also heard 10" from earbud to earbud and use that as a guide.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I run up real fast with my tape measure

http://www.multimedia.adfg.alaska.go...mooselegal.wmv

many have seen this but its still a good look

Ah Wiso - ya don hafta run up real quick like. I likes ta sneek up on em real slow an sneaky like me wife does to a candy jar - then Iz grabs em by the juglar an westles em ta the groun. Then you kin take your time an measure em up with your hand spread. I is such a big critter that a 3 hander makes em legil. Then yous piks em up right and steadies em till he kin walk on his own accord.

I just used a tape measure to mark 50 inches on my paddle and I get close enough to them to size them up.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I just used a tape measure to mark 50 inches on my paddle and I get close enough to them to size them up.
    Thats an awesome photo "stid"!

That's an intense pic, Steve. Bet the blood was pumpin!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    If a bull is standing broad side, and he turns his head and and faces you, if the palm reaches the middle of ht hump its supposed to be 50....
    thats what I estimate anyway.
    This is a good way, BUT "supposed" to don't cut it. I've always gone by if the palm COVERS the hump then it is AT LEAST 50". When a person uses this theory tho, they HAVE to make sure they don't look at the points covering, or going past the hump. Years ago I killed a 45" bull (finally saw the 3rd brow time) where only the points came about even with the rump side of the hump. Meaning do NOT let your eyes look at the points in relationship to the hump.......just the palm.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    This is a good way, BUT "supposed" to don't cut it. I've always gone by if the palm COVERS the hump then it is AT LEAST 50". When a person uses this theory tho, they HAVE to make sure they don't look at the points covering, or going past the hump. Years ago I killed a 45" bull (finally saw the 3rd brow time) where only the points came about even with the rump side of the hump. Meaning do NOT let your eyes look at the points in relationship to the hump.......just the palm.
    that I didn't know! I though any part of the antler went to the middle of the hump it was around 50.....I will defiantly keep that in mind next time!!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

the best way to judge bulls is to practice judging bulls...... pics,mounts,videos, ect..ect.. the best way to start learning IMHO is the distance between ears... dont matter how good you think you are dont shoot em when close without browtines.. guiding moose I have seen 50's that looked like sixties cause of horn drop and 40's look like 50's cause of appearance of palms laying flat and tipping the golden rule always works "not sure dont shoot"

we most always do the "10 inches from base to base" thing, but I figured everybody else did so I decided to mention the shoulder/horn thing

we most always do the "10 inches from base to base" thing, but I figured everybody else did so I decided to mention the shoulder/horn thing

hope my post didnt come off wrong...happens on these keyboards at times..lol I do think anything to help judge is a good thing, to me practice just seems to be the best.... especially if you can get to look at mounts at like sportsmans with binos or something so as to get a feel of it through binos as well...

Or Just do as Stid does with the paddle....

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    hope my post didnt come off wrong...happens on these keyboards at times..lol I do think anything to help judge is a good thing, to me practice just seems to be the best.... especially if you can get to look at mounts at like sportsmans with binos or something so as to get a feel of it through binos as well...

Or Just do as Stid does with the paddle....

dave
    Ah no thats was some good advice...I was just clearing some things up, that is a great idea about the binoculars, I woulda never though of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    the best way to judge bulls is to practice judging bulls...... pics,mounts,videos, ect..ect.. the best way to start learning IMHO is the distance between ears... dont matter how good you think you are dont shoot em when close without browtines.. guiding moose I have seen 50's that looked like sixties cause of horn drop and 40's look like 50's cause of appearance of palms laying flat and tipping the golden rule always works "not sure dont shoot"
    Yes, over time, the more bulls you see the better you will start to understand the "look" of a 50" bull. One of the main things I noticed over the years it that a 50" bull's rack really starts to become more per-portioned to the size of the body. At least to the point where you feel it is necessary to take a real good look, or just realize right off that it's a smaller bull and you don't have to "try" and make him legal. It's almost like how an 8 year old ram starts to take on that mature "look" about him. Of course this really only happens after seeing many, MANY animals. But like you said the more you see, the better you will get.

I also get a certain "feel" from a 50" or better bull. The way they move, walk, act. Kind of like a big bear....they have a very deliberate "air" about them. They don't move with quick jerky motions. I think older/bigger bulls get this way as well.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

that I didn't know! I though any part of the antler went to the middle of the hump it was around 50.....I will defiantly keep that in mind next time!!
    Keep in mind that this method implies that the bull is at exactly a 90 degree angle to you. If he is slightly quartering towards or away from you a smaller rack would cover the hump...and get you in trouble. I wouldn't recommend relying on this method of measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Keep in mind that this method implies that the bull is at exactly a 90 degree angle to you. If he is slightly quartering towards or away from you a smaller rack would cover the hump...and get you in trouble.
    Why yes, but I'm sure most people would understand this as it is the main case for this theory. You can tell very easily when the animal isn't standing directly broadside to you. Well, I guess I should say that I can, and I don't even need to see the whole body. Just the position/angle of the head. And when he is, it is indeed a good way to judge. And obviously the guys that do the judging seminars at the Sportsman's shows think so too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast