Thread: zodiak repairs

Default zodiak repairs

So thinking of spring needing to get my zodiak ready. When I stored it last year I noticed some of the glued on parts like handles and such were coming unglued.Also I had a leak in the coned end of the tube where the rubber boat material was glued to the hard plastic cone is this and easy fix and if so what glue do you guys use...thanks

What year is it? Is it hypalon material?

Hypalon and PVC utilize different Glues. Several shop in town can help. AKR&K, Marita, ARC.

The glue is expensive. If it is hypalon - buy your tolulene AIH instead of the boat shops - way way cheaper.

Might try calling CAC plastics in Wasilla.....they might have a solution?!
    BK

If it is rubber use SC2000. Alaska Rubber & supply has it, works better than the contact cement the boat shops sell you.

Does the SC2000 work for applying poly over the glue?

I had my bottom coated at ARC. One of the strakes came off and took some of the protective coating with it. I plan to just recoat it since I cannot find a strake..........trying to hunt down the materials very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Does the SC2000 work for applying poly over the glue?

I had my bottom coated at ARC. One of the strakes came off and took some of the protective coating with it. I plan to just recoat it since I cannot find a strake..........trying to hunt down the materials very soon.
    You mean you want to attach something poly to your rubber raft? if so Im not positive but here is some info for you to check out, honestly I have not messed with plastics much. http://www.rematiptop.com/technical/...dures-Rev4.pdf out of curiousity what did they coat the bottom with? I sell alot of loctite products here that I'm wanting to try but I havent yet. My Avon raft is pretty old and used but I need to get 1 or 2 more years out of it.

I mispoke. It was a 2 part Urethane by ARC. http://www.alaskaraftconnection.com/msg14.htm

I don't think that the SC2000 is used for patching holes -but it could work.

I am looking for some 2 part Urethane that I can put on the area that is missing the coating. I don't want the rest of it to rip off. I also have to figure out a good way to make the single existing strake stay put. I will probably pull it off, cut it in half, and put it on both sides. Once the leading edge of the strakes start to come loose they will come off. Finding a replacement has turned up nil.

Brian down at ARC can tell you about the cones. If they are bad they probably need to be replaced completely. You can probably get away with patching and then coating with some glue/Urethane and make it last longer - that might even fix it if it isn't too bad.

Bear - you definately need to purchase the costly contact glue/cement from a boat shop. If you zod is old it is probably hypalon - but that needs to be verified.

I would not use the SC2000 for patching personally.

This link looks like pretty good for application of the glue/patch. http://www.nrsweb.com/repair/hypalon_repair.asp

Know first - that the glue used is very temperature and humidity sensitive. Too cold, or even if you breath on the glue it will not hold.

Maritia Sea & Ski has everything, why take a chance get the mfg recommend glue for which ever type it is, they will know. I do all my own read & follow 100% of instruction, clean clean clean it is the word!

Lightbulb Fixing older Zodiac boats

I'll reply to the original poster and say that it is a common issue to have cones leaking around seam-taping. There are 3 tried and true practices in terms of lasting good looking repair solutions. (I will also say 'none' of the quick-fixes that others have shared so far are correct - sorry to relate). To asses this repair it would need to be a visual hands on.

Addressing urethane coatings... keep in perspective that two aspects are important: one is that it adheres, and two that it has a suitable durometer. Organization, proper materials, fabric preparation, adhesives or primers, and most often two part urethane are involved. While all this is key... it does not guaranty a perfect result by just following directions --- as in many of the chemists that make two part Urethane have their own issues with delivery, accountability, customer services, and no 100 percent product quality control straight from manufacturer level. Shipping specialty Haz-Mats is not easy to Alaska.

Certain factory components on older Zodiac brand can be a nightmare for response time, finding OEM parts can dry up, so creativity comes into play or refurbished parts may be necessary. For example in the old strake problem... they do not make a matching part today and much of the old finds are dry-cracked beyond cost effective refurb. I can assure the one contributor to this post here has found this to be true on his Zodiac.

Gluing accessory parts or reattaching D-rings, tow-rings or other glued components will be determined by the fabrication of boat and those parts. An excess of this stuff going on can indicate that internal issues are happening or soon to develop.

One final consideration is that you can do the best resulting armor-coating around; yet still not guaranty that things like the old strake letting go in the one posters case, a bad seam finally giving up internally, and by same logic why a coating may not be a long-term ideal fix on original poster's cone sections.