Thread: 1st timer bear baiting

Default 1st timer bear baiting

Hello all im going to try bear baiting this spring for the first time. i'v been reading alst of post on this forum but would like some pointers from the vets. So far i aquired my 55 gal drum from a baiter who is retiring from baiting. there is a sliver moon cut on the top of the barrell ( this is not a barrell that the lid can be removed) there is also holes cut on the bottom for chains. the barrell is ment to lay on its side and be chained to a tree. So far i bought a 40lb bag of ol roy dog food and 5 gallons of molasses. i plan on setting up somewear in the Housto - Willow area. Going scouting this weekend. Thanks

Dog food can get expensive. Buy a 50lb bag of popcorn instead of a 50lb bag of dogfood and it will go alot further. There is tons of info on here about whatever everyone uses for bait, it's just a matter of preference. Baitem 907 makes bait balls you can hang at your site. I mix my mollasses with a couple cups of brown sugar and some hot water to make it a little bit thinner and then pour it over everything. While on stand, burn some honey. If your setting up a bait site in a new location don't get too dissappointed if you don't get any bears on your bait. Sometimes it might take a season on a site before the bears really start coming in. If you have a trail camera, use it. It will let you know exactly what you have coming in and will help you pattern them. Some people are religous about scent control and some don't care. I don't use any cover scents. Some people will smoke while they are baiting the site so the bears get used to the smell. I dip Copenhagen so I make sure I do it at my bait. There's no way I'd make it for as many hours as I sit on stand without a dip. Just about anything sweet smelling will make good bait. Or, if you can get your hands on one, a beaver carcass has brought in more bear for me than anything else.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I'm far from a vet bear baiter but as said, popcorn will give you the best bang for your buck and Baitem907 scent products work awesome(baitem907.com). Oats, barley, also work, anything really, just stay away from meaty or fish products as the grizz are more apt to eat that but they also eat anything too... Also be sure you are legal with the 1 mile cabin/building/dwelling rule/, even when it seems your far from everyone there always has to be that one cabin that you never seen or thought of. Google earth works great if the area has a detailed sat. photo but best to check it out on foot. because the troopers may check your site in the area your baiting.

What kind of tree stand are you going to use, hanging or permanent? If you plan to build a permanent stand you should locate your spot now and haul the wood in with a snowmachine. Lots easier than doing it a month from now. I have seen guys pre-build a ladder out of 2 X 4's to make building the stand easier and it also makes climbing into your stand safer and quicker than installing some kind of spikes or screw in steps. Haul the barrel and food in on the first legal day (Usually April 15th) with a snowmachine to save a lot of work later.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jcav.444 View Post
    Hello all im going to try bear baiting this spring for the first time. i'v been reading alst of post on this forum but would like some pointers from the vets. So far i aquired my 55 gal drum from a baiter who is retiring from baiting. there is a sliver moon cut on the top of the barrell ( this is not a barrell that the lid can be removed) there is also holes cut on the bottom for chains. the barrell is ment to lay on its side and be chained to a tree. So far i bought a 40lb bag of ol roy dog food and 5 gallons of molasses. i plan on setting up somewear in the Housto - Willow area. Going scouting this weekend. Thanks

couple of tips

as mentioned.. popcorn is cheap..

so is barley grain from the feed stores about 1/2 the cost of dog food.. lighter too we ordered a ton from Delta the other day for our baits

the 5 gallons of molasses.. will LAST a long time mix it 1 part molasses -2 parts water.. it will scent your feed and distributes it evenly.. when using grain.. the water will help ferment it.. nothing like 55 gallons of almost beer growing in your drum they love it.

feed stores also carry dry molasses. in 50 lb bags.. and few cup of it goes a long way also.. and again lighter easier to pack/mix etc.

if your insistent on buying bagged feed.. WET COB.. ~ $15-$17.00 a bag.. molasses cover corn oats barley ( cob) or dry cob a few $ less ( as you already have 5 gallons) if you run out of mol. feed stores carry it cheaper then sporting goods stores.. One is horse feed the other is marketing to urbanises that don't know any better.

bear will eat it all..

also.. a white trash bag set by the door to catch every piece of left over bread in your house. heals, dried out, molded, extra hot dog buns.. left over garlic french breads etc.. let them dry .. and stack up.. by may i will have 1/2 a drum to pour molasses over.

bears love the grains. and will eat them all.. dog foods expensive.

have fun and GOOD LUCK its a lot of work and often will take most of a season to establish a site.. if not all of the season.. but once its hit.. they come back year after year..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Has anyone on here tried Koolaid on the popcorn. found a youtube video today about it and was wondering if anyone had any experience good or bad with this method. and if they would be so kind to share with us. Its also going to be my first time bear baiting and i will be doing it in 20B out on the Yukon Training Area. thanks

heres a link to the video i was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S5WmLoRtWM

Quote Originally Posted by shmobag View Post
    heres a link to the video i was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S5WmLoRtWM
    You mean like discussed in the time to pop thread?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/111625-Time-to-pop!/page2

Yep, thank you kindly Wet eNuf.

well all i can say is i dont have a tree stand or a snowmachine or a ATV!! i do however have a strong back and a ice fishing sled! i plan on sitting on ground about 50 yards away from bait with a 7mm and a 44mag!

i also don't have a snowmachine. and i am working on a tree stand. this is my first time hunting bear and baiting as well. i have been reading all the post on here for the past year or so .. got a lot of good info.. and hoping i have a great time weather i get one or not.. i am moving to the lower 48 this summer so this is my only chance to get a bear..

Every time I see that video I laugh my butt off that's my baiting partner.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..