Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: I want a King this year!

  1. #1
    Guest
    Guest

    Default I want a King this year!

    Hey all,

    This is my third year in AK and I have fished as much as the next guy BUT have yet to land a King. I spent many, many days/nights fishing Eklutna Tailrace and Ship Creek over the last two summers and have got skunked!

    So.... I signed up for two different charters this year and want to get some input. The first is set for Deep Creek in the salt May 27 and on the Kenai June 6. Any suggestions on these times?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Homer Oct trolling for kings is the best place to be!

  3. #3
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Tower Rock Lodge no doubt.

    Solid 8hr trip til you hook up. My gal and I both landed nice kings then spend 2 days flossin reds til we limited out on possession. Tell 'em you want D-money on the boat. He's solid with the gear and knows where to go.

    Deep Creek/Anchor Point is a good bet for early season kings. 50/50 chance at hookin up a halibut. 90lbr on medium king tackle is the heat!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  4. #4
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    "Homer Oct trolling for kings is the best place to be!"

    Sounds awesome, but I dont have a boat... Was tempted to go for some winter kings in Homer on a charter but didnt ended up getting to head down there.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    If you get down to Homer give Josh Brooks a call at 399-3775 if there is a King around he will know! His prices are very good for what you get. If you try for kings and halibut the end of sept first part of oct is a great time last two years lots of twenty king days and limit on nice halibut too!!!!
    Good fishing, and best of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    "Homer Oct trolling for kings is the best place to be!"

    Sounds awesome, but I dont have a boat... Was tempted to go for some winter kings in Homer on a charter but didnt ended up getting to head down there.

  6. #6
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    If you get down to Homer give Josh Brooks a call at 399-3775 if there is a King around he will know! His prices are very good for what you get. If you try for kings and halibut the end of sept first part of oct is a great time last two years lots of twenty king days and limit on nice halibut too!!!!
    Good fishing, and best of luck
    Perfect, that would be excellent timing. I have family coming up around late September. Thanks for the advice.

    Fish on!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    527

    Default

    for the June 6th trip you might lean towards the Kasilof river rather than the Kenai, but be sure to pick a guide that can fish either river and will go where the fish are! Good luck
    www.akfishology.com

    fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

  8. #8
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    for the June 6th trip you might lean towards the Kasilof river rather than the Kenai, but be sure to pick a guide that can fish either river and will go where the fish are! Good luck
    Why would you suggest the Kasilof? Just out of curiosity because I could choose either I believe. From my understanding, you have a better chance of getting one on the Kasilof due to native and hatchery runs - but they might be smaller. So I was stuck with the predicament, lower chance of catching a trophy or better chance of catching one in general. I was not sure since I donít know the true logistics of either river.

  9. #9
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Quote:..."So I was stuck with the predicament, lower chance of catching a trophy or better chance of catching one in general." UNQUOTE

    Wow....U'r fishing 'Eklutna' and "Ship Crk" ....never got a King and u say it may 'lower your chance of a "TROPHY" !! Sonnnnnn! Your first King WILL be a Trophy. Did u forget....U NEVER CAUGHT ONE! When u get one, u will realize that. With that said, I give even U a 50/50 shot at a king on Ninny, Dp crk, or Anchor on any of the open wkends when the fish are in. Quite possibly catching several.
    And speaking of 'Trophies'... I'm going to give u a reverse hex that I am famous for in my household. A trophy fish (IGFA) is a rare fish indeed. I told my wife to "not count on one", when she went to the Kotzebue/Kivalina area a few yrs back. As most know, the area is reknowned for huge Dollies and Char. Well, to make a long story short, she scored one big Dolly and got her name in the book. So hex on you...... You'll never score a trophy King...............Good Luck.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  10. #10
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Thanks cod for the input. I guess I wasn't planning on catching a 90 pounder - just figured a 30-50 pound fish would be awesome! I was just asking the overall experience of the two locations. If it is much tougher to even get one on the Kenai at that time a year, Kasilof may be the ticket! However, if Kings can be had at that time of the year on the Kenai.... that would be a heck of a experience! Just trying to make sure I plan accordingly for this summer since it can get a little expensive!

    BTW, I will take the reverse hex!!

  11. #11
    Member AKBighorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Sorry if this sounds negative but, you went from simply wanting to catch a king to catching a trophy? If you are in search of a 50 lb fish I think you have your sights set a bit high. I'm not saying it can't happen on either the Kenia or Kasilof but you might get a reality check real quick. Most people still dream of catching one in the 50+ range and they have caught thier fair share of kings over the years and know how to fish for them, myself included. Unfortunately the king runs in the valley aren't anything like they used to be or you could fullfill your initial goal of simply catching one with a little guidance and not having to hire a guide. I hope that hex works for you, good luck.

  12. #12
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Sorry if this sounds negative but, you went from simply wanting to catch a king to catching a trophy? If you are in search of a 50 lb fish I think you have your sights set a bit high. I'm not saying it can't happen on either the Kenia or Kasilof but you might get a reality check real quick. Most people still dream of catching one in the 50+ range and they have caught thier fair share of kings over the years and know how to fish for them, myself included. Unfortunately the king runs in the valley aren't anything like they used to be or you could fullfill your initial goal of simply catching one with a little guidance and not having to hire a guide.
    Haha, no I never said I was actually planning on catching a trophy over 50+! I was just simply stating that you have a chance of catching a monster vs the Kasilof where there are smaller fish on average - since this seemed to be what I was hearing from multiple guides in the area. But, of course, I will take what I can get!

  13. #13

    Default

    Go to the Nushagak or Alagnak the first week of July. There's not a ton of huge kings, but there are tons of kings!

    Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  14. #14
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default

    [QUOTE=FishAddictAK;1104471]Why would you suggest the Kasilof? Just out of curiosity because I could choose either I believe. From my understanding, you have a better chance of getting one on the Kasilof due to native and hatchery runs - but they might be smaller.

    If you dont have a drift boat i would give Eric loomis a call 907-252 9094 If you don't catch a fish you sure get a fun time talking trash to him while he is paddling his ass off!!He sure does get some nice ones on the kenai even with the bait restrictions..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I would take the Kasilof over the Kenai for Kings. That is simply because I have never caught a Kenai River King, but have caught several Kasilof River Kings. It seems to have less people on the Kasilof. It is a smaller river which could provide some crowds with less people than what you would get on the Kenai. If you simply want to hook, land, and take a picture of king this year. Hit me with a PM, i fish the valley streams a lot and unless the return is zero we will catch fish. You may have to release it, but you have accomplished the goal. For fish in the freezer I will be floating the Kasilof twice this year with Drifting on the Fly and Scott Sager. I would recommend the Kasilof and Scott to guide you on the Kasilof.

  16. #16
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    I would take the Kasilof over the Kenai for Kings. That is simply because I have never caught a Kenai River King, but have caught several Kasilof River Kings. It seems to have less people on the Kasilof. It is a smaller river which could provide some crowds with less people than what you would get on the Kenai. If you simply want to hook, land, and take a picture of king this year. Hit me with a PM, i fish the valley streams a lot and unless the return is zero we will catch fish. You may have to release it, but you have accomplished the goal. For fish in the freezer I will be floating the Kasilof twice this year with Drifting on the Fly and Scott Sager. I would recommend the Kasilof and Scott to guide you on the Kasilof.
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I will send you a PM and would like to try the Valley as well.

  17. #17
    Member Ak Laker Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks,Ak
    Posts
    337

    Default

    i caught my 1st and 2nd king at ship creek late May early June and they kick my butt, they werent even the biggest
    kings either. fresh kings are the best, so much fight. As for Eklutna never any luck,better luck traveling to willow area

  18. #18
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    i caught my 1st and 2nd king at ship creek late May early June and they kick my butt, they werent even the biggest
    kings either. fresh kings are the best, so much fight. As for Eklutna never any luck,better luck traveling to willow area
    Oh yea, I will be back to Ship this year with a little more knowledge of how, when, and where to fish it! I did a lot of observing last year so hopefully I can give myself a better chance. My first year in AK was in Fairbanks for I was mainly catching grayling and fishing Allison Point in Valdez. I caught a lot of salmon over the last couple of years (silvers, pinks, chums, ect) but when it comes to Kings it seems to be a little more difficult! Either way, looking forward to a better summer of fishing this year for sure.

  19. #19
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Keep in mind that the "average angler days" for catching a king on the Kasilof vs. the Kenai are much more in your favor. Go to the Kasilof!

  20. #20
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Keep in mind that the "average angler days" for catching a king on the Kasilof vs. the Kenai are much more in your favor. Go to the Kasilof!
    Yes, what he said.
    And question: eat or take pictures? If you want a king, plan a day (a whole day; first light to dusk if necessary) on the Kasilof in June. You don't need a guide, just time. Bring eggs, but also gear to hook up beads and yarn on an egg loop. Plan for a day on which you can catch either wild or hatchery if you want an eater. Put in your time, move up and down the river from People's Hole and you will catch one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •