Thread: Making The .223 WSSM Shoot...Better :)

Default Making The .223 WSSM Shoot...Better :)

My wife's Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow Stainless is a collectors piece. They didn't make many, and after looking for over two years, I still have been unable to locate another, so I am severely loathe to make any changes (such as a new barrel), to a desirable item. Unfortunately, the sloppy factory chamber frustrates me to no end.

New factory loaded brass ammo measures 0.265" at the neck. A fired case measures 0.274" !! Using the really fancy nickle plated ammo a new cartridge measures 0.2655" (almost 0.266"), and a fired case is right at 0.275". And they shoot better than the brass cases. Gotta do something.

SAAMI print shows the chamber to be +/- 0.275", with spring-back taken into account, I think my chamber in the neck area is roughly 0.277" or so. Only a chamber cast will tell the truth.

Another challenge is the ridiculously thin pencil barrel used with this high-intensity shell. It could stand to be thicker, but that is another story.

So here is what I am going to do:
    I have ordered a bag of 50 .243 WSSM cases. I will prep them just as I do all my brass, and spend a little extra time to get a good outside chamfer on the mouth. I'll then run a case up into my .223 WSSM die to see if I can squash the neck down without collapsing it. If this doesn't work, I'll use my Wilson bushing sizer and size in two stages.

Now that the case will be necked down, I'll run the .223 neck turning mandrel in to make it smooth, and turn to a size about 0.002" under the chamber neck. Then we'll see what she can really do.

Right now I can get 1" groups all day long, and an occasional one hole 2-shot group. So I know there is potential here; if only Winchester had used a heavier barrel, the rifle is so light, holding it steady is near impossible. But musing about reality won't change things.

Just to be on the safe size, before I get into prepping 50 cases, I'll make a chamber cast to see just how things are.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks you for sharing

By your own admission it shoots fine, unless you're wanting to shoot benchrest, so I would either let it be or sell it and build whatever it is you're after.
    But since it is a collector piece, stop shooting it. LOL.

You're feeding a schit rifle,horribly botched fodder and "wonder" at the "results"?!?

I'm awaiting the Punch Line.
    Last edited by Reco Noiter; 04-06-2012 at 19:00. Reason: Horny

Quote Originally Posted by Reco Noiter View Post
    You're feeding a schit rifle,horribly botched fodder and "wonder" at the "results"?!?

I'm awaiting the Punch Line.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    By your own admission it shoots fine, unless you're wanting to shoot benchrest, so I would either let it be or sell it and build whatever it is you're after.
    But since it is a collector piece, stop shooting it. LOL.
    I am not satisfied with 1" groups.

Can't sell it, it is my wife's, besides, I don't sell firearms like I change my socks. I make them better.

I am 99.99% certain why it won't shoot, but the chrome bore will not allow a re-chamber, which means a new barrel, and if a new super-premium barrel, the action needs to be worked over. Money. Time. Already have a barrel for it, but before I spend the coin, I need to know it is the chamber. Once I know, then I can move forward.

I don't do benchrest.

Lawton 7500 repeater, Bartlein barrel, McMillan stock, Jewell trigger. That's what I would like to build, but would be far less expensive to have D-Tech build me a WSSM upper for $1100 that will do the same. The decision is far more challenging than you think.