Thread: Operators and Private pilots

Default Operators and Private pilots

Hello, I'm new to this forum so excuse me

I'm looking for some experience in the co-pilot seat, just on a few flights or just to get a few spins of pilots in Alaska. I have never been to Alaska, I'm planning on going there for a few weeks and I was to do some flying. I'm in the middle of getting my Private Pilots Licence so it will not be possible for me to rent a plane. I do not know where to start. Can some one help me out on where I get get in on a few charter flights or flights with locals.

Or can you get me in contact with a local guide who would no more or some operators that might let me in. I know when I go in the summer it will be difficult as they will have paying passengers which will take up the seat, but I'm eager.

Anyone any leads or tips for me?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by footy View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum so excuse me

I'm looking for some experience in the co-pilot seat, just on a few flights or just to get a few spins of pilots in Alaska. I have never been to Alaska, I'm planning on going there for a few weeks and I was to do some flying. I'm in the middle of getting my Private Pilots Licence so it will not be possible for me to rent a plane. I do not know where to start. Can some one help me out on where I get get in on a few charter flights or flights with locals.

Or can you get me in contact with a local guide who would no more or some operators that might let me in. I know when I go in the summer it will be difficult as they will have paying passengers which will take up the seat, but I'm eager.

Anyone any leads or tips for me?
    Thanks,
    Personal recommendation? Todd Rust at Rust's Air Service, either Lake Hood (Anchorage) or Talkeetna.

What part of Alaska ? We are 2.5 times the size of Texas.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I would look at where you are going in Alaska, find an instructor with a plane and get instruction... if you are paying for a "guide" you might as well have a CFI with you to do some flight seeing/gain experience with Alaska flying. FloatPilot has beautiful scenery in Homer.

When you get up here, shoot me a PM. If you are going to be in the Wasilla/Palmer/Anchorage area I would be willing to take you flying, especially if you help out with gas, if you just want to see what it is like to fly in AK. Heck, I will even let you fly and pick the destination if you want to. I'm just a PP with a little Cessna, but I am always looking for an excuse to go flying.

At Float Pilot,
    I do know how huge Alaska is, but the better part of me, I'm willing to go anywhere around alaska to get some real flying done!

At akbou, What is the cost of a lesson with an instructor out there? I'm training in a light tri-gear aircraft, not a tailwheel and I'm not sure if I can "log" the hours towards my licence. Can anyone confirm this to my european licence? Sound like a great idea though! I never thought of that. Thanks

At Articmayhem,
    Thanks a lot of the reply man, sound great! I might just send you a PM if I get up there in the summer. Thanks.

any operators do you think would let me in for just a few flights just plainly for experience?

Flight Instructors must be VERY careful with giving logged instruction to non-U.S. citizens unless the Reichs Ministry for the suppression of free travel (TSA) gets involved.
    If the non-citizen already has a US license, then you can do add-on ratings without a new security check and approval from the bureaucrats. But primary instruction means the student must be cleared via a bunch of red tape.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com