Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Report

Default Kodiak Report

Spent the last week circumnavigating Kodiak and Afognak by boat. Lots of deer on the beaches. The North end of Kodiak, Afognak, Shuyak, Spruce and Whale Islands still have lots of snow all the way to the beach. The number of deer on the beach has decreased from the week before, and those that remain seem to be spending more time lying down conserving energy. The deer near the capes seem to be doing better, since they are blown or burned off. Saw one elk not looking real great either. The west side and southeast sides of Kodiak seem to be doing better, the snow line is moving up from the beach at a pretty fast pace. Still haven't seen a bear or tracks. If you have a tag and plan on hunting the next two weeks, bring a snowshoes and a plastic sled, as all the inland valleys still have lots of snow. Temps are still down into the twenties at night and the forecast is calling for more northwest wind, which seems to be keeping Kodiak record cold this winter. Good luck to all the spring bb hunters out there! I'll be hitting East Afognak with akscootnshoot the end of the month to try and connect on a couple Kodiak groundhogs, looking forward to that!

Do you recall what the Zachar Bay/Larsen Bay area looked like? Did you happen to run up into either of these bays?

check out ak weather cams...

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsit...kmark=69EBZ8UQ

gives you a slight idea.

Any new updates on the Kodiak area?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

The info I've been getting, be it all second hand, has been that the northern part on the island received way above average snow fall, almost identical to Anchorage this year, but the southern part ( mid part of the island down) got normal snow fall.

Its been blowing and raining constantly this weekend. At one point it was blowing 35. May have blown more or less...didn't spend much time outside sadly.

Been watching the web cams at Larsen Bay and it appears there isnt any snow at lower elevations. Any further word on how the deer populations made it through the winter?
    Would like to book another November hunt but still a little apprehensive.

I think the deer will be fine, yes tis winter did a job on em, but I dont; think it'l be as bad as we expected. I'm acutally seeing lots of green popping up in the yard. A few stretches on base the gets lots of sun are real green which is surprising me, also making me think I might need glasses. Snow is about gone in the lower stretches and moving up the mountains quick. I might try and see how the trail to Saltry is after work today.

Snowwolfe,

I am headed to the Larsen Bay area in a couple of weeks and can give you a report for that area. Is that where you are planning on deer hunting?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Been watching the web cams at Larsen Bay and it appears there isnt any snow at lower elevations. Any further word on how the deer populations made it through the winter?
    Would like to book another November hunt but still a little apprehensive.
    The ADF&G biologists stationed in Kodiak usually do a "Winter kill survey" in the Spring. If they've had a chance to do one this year, John Crye (486-1880) may be able to give some deer survival estimates.

Something else to consider is that the west side typically gets a lot less snow than the eastern side of the island...So if you are basing your concerns on Kodiak City snow levels, than relax a bit. I used to live in LB and a couple of years ago the island was hit with a huge storm. Kodiak city got something like 26 inches in 24 hours. Larsen Bay got 6-8 inches.

Had a friend/neighbor that spent a couple weeks in larson Bay teachign before it started warming up. Said that was hardly any snow over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Had a friend/neighbor that spent a couple weeks in larson Bay teachign before it started warming up. Said that was hardly any snow over that way.

Was that Wendy who was out there subbing? I know she was there a couple weeks ago.

Yuprs, sure was her.

Have her take you out to Anton. She mentioned there was a ten footer out there...

No Brownie for me this spring, next year.

Larsen Bay Lodge notched their first successful hunt of the season yesterday. The guys bagged a 10 foot 6 brownie that is absolutely beautiful!

Default Kodiak bound 'again' 3pm today :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    Larsen Bay Lodge notched their first successful hunt of the season yesterday. The guys bagged a 10 foot 6 brownie that is absolutely beautiful!
    WOW...this is good news. Heading over today for Uyak Bay (next to Larsen Bay) with two tags to fill. Just got back from hunting the south end with Louis Cusack and his friend who bagged a nice brownie. Very little snow left there but our best guess was we were about a week early. Flew over Larsen Bay/Uyak on our way back - snow is half way up the mountain.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

tdelarm,

Good luck and see you next Friday. Hope you guys get a couple of big ones. You can save the small ones for my grandson.

Randy

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...41#post1117741

Results from my hunt with Seinerman (with pics and vid)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast