Thread: Larsen Bay

Default Larsen Bay

I'll b up fishing in Larsen bay with a lodge from July 1-July 8th. I am wondering how the fishing might be and what I can look forward to? We will be after Halibut and Salmon of course.

thanks

Just bumping this up can anyone help me out ?

Quote Originally Posted by chadfindlay View Post
    Just bumping this up can anyone help me out ?
    I don't know anything at all about fishing Larsen Bay, and I'm not sure why no one answers certain posts, but if you don't get any help here find the ADF&G office closest to it and call the fisheries biologist there and talk with them. They should be able to tell you what you want to know. And I would also think the people at the lodge your staying at would be an excellent source of info. If anyone should know, they should. Good luck!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I suspect the reason your question hasn't generated a response is that most of the active forum members, I believe, boat out of Prince William Sound, Seward and Homer (as do I). As I have never heard of Larsen Bay, I googled it and found that Larsen Bay is over on Kodiak Island. Their website states "World class fishing adventures at Larsen Bay Lodge includes King Salmon, (Chinook), Silver Salmon (Coho), Red Salmon, (Sockeye), Pink Salmon, Chum Salmon, Steelhead, Dolly Varden, as well as saltwater fishing in near-shore and protected waters for Halibut, Sea Bass, Lingcod, and more!" Geez--makes me want to go, too.

I'm sure they are telling the truth. I have never been to Kodiak, but reports from friends indicate the fishing is fabulous just about anywhere you drop a line. From the pictures on the website, the lodge looks great, the boats seaworthy, the guides appropriately "bushy"--you should have a wonderful time. Let us know how you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs Stump View Post
    I suspect the reason your question hasn't generated a response is that most of the active forum members, I believe, boat out of Prince William Sound, Seward and Homer (as do I).
    There actually are a number of forum members that fish Kodiak waters regularly and one in particular that charters on Kodiak, which is why I am surprised no one has answered the post. Maybe their out fishing!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

You should be looking at some of the best fishing you have ever seen!!! I have fished Larsen bay many times, Halibut fishing is off the hook and salmon fishing can be can be between great and oh my GOD!!!!!! Have the time of your life! Go to the dump and see the bears too.

Thanks everyone for the info

Went to Larsen Bay last August. Many small halibut (largest was about 65lbs), few salmon but we had a lazy ignorant guide.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymen View Post
    ... but we had a lazy ignorant guide.
    Sounds like it! The first week of July should be really prime for kings, but barely starting for silvers and those only off the headlands. Silvers arrive that early, but they're still smallish in the 5-6# range that time of year. Should be the front end of the pink salmon run too, so prime shore fishing in some areas. I'd put in an ultralight travel rod built around 6# line for casual times at the lodge or casting near shore if your guide is into it. Pinks only average 3.5#, but when you get into them an ultralight rod turns them into trophies.

Halibut is variable with location and tide, but it shouldn't take much of a guide to connect you.

Sorry not to answer sooner, but I've been mostly offline the last two months.

Best halibut fishing I ever had was at Larsen Bay fishing between set nets. We would watch for big sections of net to get pulled under then would move in at drop a salmon down then back out big old halibut were pulling salmon out of the nets we caught 5 over 180lbs and 2 over 200lbs it was a blast! I was there doing under water construction at the time and one of the elders took me out fishing. When the tide is moving fishing the narrow channel going back into the harbor by the cannery can be a blast for salmon and dollies!

Larsen Bay in July is a great time for halibut and reds, and some kings. It is to early for silvers; however, dolly varden are thick. It is also a great time to catch tanner and dungeness crab. If you are going with a guide you will need to put on your own buoy. There are 5 lodges in Larsen Bay, unknown who you will be fishing with, Larsen Bay lodge, Carlsen's is the biggest. They put a fence around the dump a few years ago to eliminate people feeding bears at the dump, i.e. bear viewing, still plenty wandering around the village to see and photograph. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakOceanPro View Post
    Larsen Bay in July is a great time for halibut and reds, and some kings. It is to early for silvers; however, dolly varden are thick. It is also a great time to catch tanner and dungeness crab. If you are going with a guide you will need to put on your own buoy. There are 5 lodges in Larsen Bay, unknown who you will be fishing with, Larsen Bay lodge, Carlsen's is the biggest. They put a fence around the dump a few years ago to eliminate people feeding bears at the dump, i.e. bear viewing, still plenty wandering around the village to see and photograph. I hope this helps.
    I'll be up there with Kodiak Lodge for a bit of time. I really hope to get into some nice Kings and come home with a bunch of Halibut for the freezer.