Thread: Recommendations for boat with Pilothouse...

Default Recommendations for boat with Pilothouse...

Hi Everyone -

My wife and I may be looking for a boat with a pilothouse.. something similar to what Wooldridge makes. We need a small galley, bathroom and sleeper for two. I like what Wooldridge makes but when we were fishing in Alaska last year I saw other makers of boats (just can't remember their names) that had similar setups..

Any other manufacturers out there or should I just stop at the Wooly Sport with Pilothouse?

Thanks

Mike

Do a search on the site there have been several long threads about what is the best boat to have.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thank you. I have found Wooldridge, Hewes, Thunderjet, NorthRiver and Harbercraft....I just kinda remember seeing another name up there but can't remember. Guess I'll have to book another fishing trip..... )

Mike

Those new Duckworth Pilot House boats look nice
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

i looked at new duckworth this summer and sure liked it, if dewey's would of wanted to deal i would have bought it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Don't forget Weldcraft. Awesome boats. Yes, like Duckworth, but the lines are a little different.

I would really consider adding Definace Boats and Parker (both fiberglass) to the list. Craigslist Seattle has some practically brand new outboard packages for 24-26ers for less than $60k.

Sobie2

Thank you for the Parker / Defiance info. Parker is very close to me and I did not know about the fiberglass pilothouse boats...

M.

What's your budget, new or used, how fast do you want to go, what type of range per trip and what waters will you be using it on? The Sea Dory 22 and 25 has a faithful following and is worth consideration.

You should really nail down how you want to use the boat and what type of trips you'll be taking 80% of the time to narrow down the parameters. There are alot of excellent boats out there but seemingly small differences can have a big effect on a boat that can be made to fit your use, one that is pretty good, and one that is perfect for your use.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My wife and I will be using the boat primarily in fresh water on a large lake but MAY take her to the Atlantic near the Carolinas. I primarily fish but we need a heated cabin for overnight, galley, fresh water, toilet, etc. and a place to keep pets.. .. I don't like high maintenance boats and we really like our Jetcraft XS. I've never owned a fiberglass boat. It seems aluminum would be less to take care of based on my experience with the Jetcraft. I kinda like the durability of the Jetcraft since we regularly run her aground and over rocks and ledges on the Delaware river with no problems.

I have compiled a nice list at this point and need to go out and take a look at all of them. Our budget would be 70K.

M.

Two things to consider regarding aluminum vs. glass. How loud, or quiet is the hull, and how warm, or how cold? Aluminum wins for durability and low maintanence, but you're inside a tin an that does an excellent job of conducting heat out of the cabin, and cold in from the outside.

For a hard core fishing machine, I'd say aluminum no ifs ands or buts. For a cruising vessel with the wife, you really might want to consider a glass boat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Only problem I would have with the Parkeer and Defiance brands is the head is not in a seperate compartment but is instead under the cushion in the berth area. They wife has nixed this set up fo anything we buy. She does not want to have to leave a warm bed if someone has to go in the middle of the night.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Here's the C-Dory 22 Cruiser we took all over SE Alaska for two months. The 25-footer looks much the same, and includes an enclosed head compartment. Can be had used within your budget. Fine simple well-made and seaworthy boats. Check tons of great info, and some for sale, here:

http://www.c-brats.com/

1995CindyandCindySea.jpg
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"