Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handled both the 44 magnum Super Redhawk Alaskan, and the S&W 629 Deluxe 3" Talo

Default Handled both the 44 magnum Super Redhawk Alaskan, and the S&W 629 Deluxe 3" Talo

Having never found a reason to tote a big bore revolver, I got along just fine with a rifle. There have been a few incidents over the years, where a revolver would have been handy to have. One of them was during inter-tidal zone research where I'm collecting data. When you're in the intertidal zone slogging around in the salt water, it's kind of hard to carry a rifle. I also got charged by a bull moose last October(fended him off with a 22 magnum revolver). Forum member hippie also told me a story of when mama bear exploded into the river on one of his rafting trips. You wouldn't be doing much with a hunting rifle slung across your back in a situation like that (I travel with an unloaded chamber).

Occasionally I've hiked to my remote property when I had a Sig Saur all stainless 45 acp, so I'm used to the weight of a handgun around 40 oz.

It'd have to be a real desperate moment if I were to reach for a revolver, honestly. Both pistols were amazing to say the least (same exact heeavy price too). The Super Redhawk Alaskan had the smoother double action pull. Weight was a non-issue as neither of them were heavy at all. The Ruger grips were a bit bulky, but the Smith wood grips were lower profile and seemed to have allowed me to get on target quicker and the orange front sight was a nice touch. The Super Redhawk Alaskan would've been better suited to the 454 Casull IMO. I don't think I have any business (as a bigbore revolver newby) starting out with the 454 Casull. Anyhow, both dang nice pistols and it seemed to have come down to personal preference, I ended up with the Smith. Might have been my little Taurus 22 mag. grips feeling very similar to the Smith Grips, just dunno. I'm not too thrilled with how expensive the two revolvers were, it's kind of ridiculous considering it's only a sidearm. They were never that expensive a few years ago.

Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats..... I ended up going with the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt. so I could shoot the lager Buffalo Bore rounds.

I had my Super Redhawk chopped by Wildwest Guns to 4 5/8 and I think it is the best length for both accuracy and portability. It is in 480 Ruger which is manageable recoil wise over the 454. You can see it in my avatar. Jim

Nice wheelgun Mike!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Congrats enjoy it.The 44mag has done it all before and still can.Light 44 spec for winter and taking smaller stuff is good pratice.Let us know how the fish scale checkering works in the hand conparedd to diamond
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Crooked barrel?

Just curious- were you lucky enough to get one with the barrel correctly aligned with the frame i.e. screwed in straight? The last three .45 Redhawks I examined all had crooked barrels and Ruger couldn't correct the defect on mine. I also contacted two sellers of new .45 Redhawks on Gunbroker and neither would respond to my question if the barrel was screwed in correctly so I assume they were defective also.

I'm still looking for one with a correct barrel myself. I'm not going to pay S&W prices for a Ruger with a crooked barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Congrats..... I ended up going with the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt. so I could shoot the lager Buffalo Bore rounds.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

That didn't take long!

Back to thread,

Very nice gun, now go shoot the hell out of it.

It's funny, if they actually had the super redhawk in 454 casull, than I would have ended up with one of those and attempted to hand load it to a manageable level. Couldn't seem to find one as they are very popular and sell quick. The gunstore fella was the one who told me to consider starting with a 44 mag and go from there (probably good advice). Never knew that Smith even made a 3 in. barreled all steel 44 mag revolver until he pulled it out for a comparison. Looking to try some Speer 270 grain bonded deep curls and call it good. Might not even mess with 44 specials, I'll just simply make a mild loaded 44 mag/speer gold dot load for the house.

I would think anyone who purchased a crooked barrel gun knew he could fix it when bought or just didn't know much about guns and didn't check it out before buying.Wonder how many different groups have owned S&W since Ruger started makeing guns.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Check the weights

The Super Redhawk and even the Redhawk are considerably heavier than your new S&W and the fit and finish aren't near as nice. Fit and finish may not help the gun shoot any better but their is a special pride of ownership of a well crafted firearm as compared to one that just doens't show that level of detail and craftsmanship. You also shouldn't have to do anything to it in order to shoot cast bullets accurately.

I've been using the Lee 310 gr. 44 mold bullet for some time with good accuracy. If you handload you can load the .44 Mag up and down - it is a very flexiable round and very accurately in most guns.

Enjoy your new S&W and shoot the heck outta it. If you do manage to accumulate any wear or tear on it simply send it back to S&W on their dime and they will fix it for you for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    It's funny, if they actually had the super redhawk in 454 casull, than I would have ended up with one of those and attempted to hand load it to a manageable level. Couldn't seem to find one as they are very popular and sell quick. The gunstore fella was the one who told me to consider starting with a 44 mag and go from there (probably good advice). Never knew that Smith even made a 3 in. barreled all steel 44 mag revolver until he pulled it out for a comparison. Looking to try some Speer 270 grain bonded deep curls and call it good. Might not even mess with 44 specials, I'll just simply make a mild loaded 44 mag/speer gold dot load for the house.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I can't find this pistol on the S&W website, so it might be a discontinued/specialty model. The gun counter guy put both on a scale and I think he said there was a 1/4lb. difference between the two. I couldn't tell, when handling both pistols. I honestly thought the Super Redhawk was the better pistol because the Double Action was smoother, and the sight blade had no play. The rear sight blade on the Smith had some play to it, the front sight looked slightly canted to the right and the double action wasn't as smooth. But for some reason, I could get the Smith on target quicker. I got skinny Indian fingers, so honestly the grip felt better on the Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The Super Redhawk and even the Redhawk are considerably heavier than your new S&W and the fit and finish aren't near as nice. Fit and finish may not help the gun shoot any better but their is a special pride of ownership of a well crafted firearm as compared to one that just doens't show that level of detail and craftsmanship. You also shouldn't have to do anything to it in order to shoot cast bullets accurately.
    You just couldn't resist......

Default S&W site

This is the link for your pistol: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Looks like your 3" .44 weigh is just under 40 oz, the SRH 2.5" barrel is around 45 oz. Retail on the S&W is $907; the SRH is $1079. Stores prices vary, I normally see the common S&Ws selling for more that the common Rugers.

The S&W has a full grip frame which puts more of the weight in your hand while the SRH has more weight and bulk forward in the frame and barrel - that different maybe part of the the way they handle and feel to you.

Most important thing is to get out and shoot it a LOT! Once you become accustomed to the recoil, the .44 is a great round to shoot.

I can't find this pistol on the S&W website, so it might be a discontinued/specialty model. The gun counter guy put both on a scale and I think he said there was a 1/4lb. difference between the two. I couldn't tell, when handling both pistols. I honestly thought the Super Redhawk was the better pistol because the Double Action was smoother, and the sight blade had no play. The rear sight blade on the Smith had some play to it, the front sight looked slightly canted to the right and the double action wasn't as smooth. But for some reason, I could get the Smith on target quicker. I got skinny Indian fingers, so honestly the grip felt better on the Smith.

Just MHO...S&W quality is not what it used to be before they sold out to the Brits in the 90's. I just bought a Model 10 dash nothing and it is beautiful with trigger the way they are supposed to be....SMOOTH and crisp and deep bluing that you can see yourself in...it's almost as smooth and pretty as my 1929 Colt Army model. Oh well, I love Glocks too and they will never be pretty...just plastic and tenifer.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Just MHO...S&W quality is not what it used to be before they sold out to the Brits in the 90's. I just bought a Model 10 dash nothing and it is beautiful with trigger the way they are supposed to be....SMOOTH and crisp and deep bluing that you can see yourself in...it's almost as smooth and pretty as my 1929 Colt Army model. Oh well, I love Glocks too and they will never be pretty...just plastic and tenifer.
    I agree S&W quality has gone way down in the usual production line guns. The custom shop guns and X-frames seem to get better treatment though, X-frames all seem to have a great trigger that someone put time into but all my other Smiths needed work to have a good trigger.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Down everywhere!

S&W certainly isn't alone in the decline of apparent quality! Ruger, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Marlin and the rest have all lost the art of hand fitting and finishing that once existed. Overall though, I'll say that S&W has managed to maintain some pretty good standards when it comes to the fit and finish on the revolvers I've seen. Surfaces are still flat or properly radiused, joints almost invisiable,and there is a minimum of tool marks even on the inside.

Even with the decline of hand fitting and finishing I must admit that we do have better materials, better machining, and tighter tolerances than exisited years ago. Most new factory guns today are much more accurate than those of 40 or 50 years ago and in a lot of cases more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I agree S&W quality has gone way down in the usual production line guns. The custom shop guns and X-frames seem to get better treatment though, X-frames all seem to have a great trigger that someone put time into but all my other Smiths needed work to have a good trigger.

While not the same, the wife has a SW M629 and I have a standard Redhawk. They both have barrels about 5" long and they are older weapons. For us, the Redhawk seems to handle heavy loads a lot better than the M629. They are both good weapons, just that I like the Ruger a lot better.
    Like it has been sais already, shoot the heck out of it, you will like it a lot more.

The Redhawk is a heavier gun hence it will be easier to shoot / handle heavier loads than the S&W. The grips may also make a difference.

It is great to have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    While not the same, the wife has a SW M629 and I have a standard Redhawk. They both have barrels about 5" long and they are older weapons. For us, the Redhawk seems to handle heavy loads a lot better than the M629. They are both good weapons, just that I like the Ruger a lot better.
    Like it has been sais already, shoot the heck out of it, you will like it a lot more.

I have been impressed with the triggers on the Ruger 4" and Alaskans. It almost seemed like they changed something in the manufacturing process when they started making the 4", because since then I don't remember a bad trigger on one of those models. Not great triggers, but good for a factory gun.

For the house you might look at either the Speer Gold Dot .44 Mag Short Barrel load or the Blazer .44 Special, which uses the Gold Dot bullet in a low priced practice load. Costs less, still expand like a Gold Dot!

It's funny, if they actually had the super redhawk in 454 casull, than I would have ended up with one of those and attempted to hand load it to a manageable level.
    The 454 Casull handloaded to a manageable (and perfectly adequate) level is called a 45 Colt, and you don't need a super redhawk to shoot it!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast