Thread: Coming to Your state end of June

Default Coming to Your state end of June

Hi all, Myself and a mate are coming over to Alaska (from New Zealand) at the end of june for 5 weeks of fun, my mate hopes to catch a nice king and I would like to see how many of your fresh water species I can catch as well as lots of salmon we hope. Also going to have a go at halabit and claming. We are both fair flyfishers and will be bringing rods and flys with us. We are renting an RV so will be traveling to different spots mostly shore based. Any tips on where to head first and for witch species. Any local tips will be apprieciated. Thank you

Five weeks is a long time, but you are definitely in the right time slot for plenty of action. There is plenty of published information out there and your trip requires diligence in run timing, and species, and location, in which to make it happen. I wrote a primer on such an undertaking, and you are welcome to contact me for more details.

If your budget is flush (means you can undertake expense) you can ferry your RV over to Kodiak Island and enjoy great fishing with less visitor pressure. The ride alone is worth the price, the island is my new home, and the opportunities abound in shore fishing and tossing the fly.

Personal assistance is worth its weight in gold for any newcomer to Alaskan fishing. Contact me privately and you'll see what I
    mean.

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    alaskanauthor@verizon.net
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Should be a great time of the year, Kings and Reds will be available. You can go clamming, fish for halibut, and there is plenty of fly fishing to be had!

I'd recommend spending a large chunk of your trip on the Kenai Peninsula. For sockeye you'll start at the Russian River in Cooper landing in late June, and by mid-July you'll want to be in the Soldonta area to partake in the 2nd run for sure... if you like to hike there are lots of opportunities to get away from the crowds and get after rainbows, dollies, and grayling in the area (let me know if you want specific info)... Kings can be had on a fly rod on the lower Peninsula streams, but check regulations cause they're tight! I'm not too privy on the Mat-su for Kings on fly, but maybe someone up there could point you in the right direction I know they have some nice fly water for bows... If you're here in the last days of July and early August you can wack a bunch of pink salmon on fly w/o a problem... 5 weeks is a nice long trip and you should be able to see and catch lots of stuff with good advice
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thanks for the advice guys, Is their any spacific flys I will need toe tie or are the old standards that work most places ok . eg hair and copper, duns, mosquitos, and just bigger salmon flys. I use a lot of yellow on my salmon flys over here but have tied some with orrange & blue hopeing that they will work if not will buy some localy when I get their. Thanks for advice again I like this site does have a lot of good info on it just good to get one on one contact with fishos