Thread: I have a serious question for you handloaders ....

Default I have a serious question for you handloaders ....

In studying Hodgdon's reloading data info it would appear to me that a prudent but slightly adventurous handloader "might" get his .308 / 168 Nosler E Tip loads quite close to what is recorded for the same bullet in an '06 (within 150 - 200 fps anyways) and it's got me thinkin' ...... I would much rather carry a -6 lb rifle around the canyons AND whilst sneakin' through the brambles and ferns .... now, maybe it's my "age" catchin' up with me, or maybe it be "wisdom" but before I venture forth into Montana 84L '06 territory (I'd add Forbes production BUT I can't get them to answer an email query) I have started to think that maybe I was very STUPID to sell that Montana .308 AND "maybe" I should replace it and go from there ...... I'm not a magnum fan at this point in my life and I have to realize that the knees are not gonna "regenerate" cartilage so I guess I'm looking for someone to either commiserate with me or chastise me, or maybe I'm just killin' time on the computer ...... YOU decide

Just get the 06, no adventures into uncharted waters needed. The rifle will weigh about 4 extra ounces, and you'll be packing a cool classic caliber that has been there and done it for 109yrs. Adventures can be fun, but why mess with perfection?

I vote "just killing time on the computer". Don't have much use for the .308 myself, nor magnums, and agree with The Kid about "classic caliber" and not messing with "perfection". And I empathize with you about age and knees. So why not consider a nice light classic rifle in 6.5x55? It's mild mannered and a joy to shoot; will kill everything from mice to moose; has been around longer, and is about the only cartridge that is truly more of a "classic" than the '06.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lighter bullets 308 will run right with 30-06 close enough it donít matter nun, get to 180s and 06 starts pulling away, 200g and up is all 30-06. Both are fine calibers that wonít do ya wrong, your choice.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm thinkin that AD is right.

A 308 is OK if you wanna use short bullets.

Longer bullets don't work as well in a 308, and a 30-06 makes a good Bear Gun with 200 or 220 grain Bullets.

Do you want people to know you use short bullets? Not Me?

Folks will see that 308 and think, "There's a guy who uses short bullets". (The shame of it all.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Oh yeah, and the Swede uses really loooong bullets!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Just get the 06, no adventures into uncharted waters needed. The rifle will weigh about 4 extra ounces, and you'll be packing a cool classic caliber that has been there and done it for 109yrs. Adventures can be fun, but why mess with perfection?
    Very well said.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Oh yeah, and the Swede uses really loooong bullets!
    That, it do.

No stigma attached to that fine cartridge.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

One thing to remember is the loads that made the '06's reputation 75 years ago are pretty much the factory loads the .308 has today.

I'm a big fan of the .308/165gr...and I doubt any critter alive could tell you the difference. Nothing wrong with either in my book and I can't honestly say any perceived advantage doesn't fall solidly into the realm of "minutiae".
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

30-06 all the way up here
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    In studying Hodgdon's reloading data info it would appear to me that a prudent but slightly adventurous handloader "might" get his .308 / 168 Nosler E Tip loads quite close to what is recorded for the same bullet in an '06 (within 150 - 200 fps anyways) and it's got me thinkin' ...... I would much rather carry a -6 lb rifle around the canyons AND whilst sneakin' through the brambles and ferns .... now, maybe it's my "age" catchin' up with me, or maybe it be "wisdom" but before I venture forth into Montana 84L '06 territory (I'd add Forbes production BUT I can't get them to answer an email query) I have started to think that maybe I was very STUPID to sell that Montana .308 AND "maybe" I should replace it and go from there ...... I'm not a magnum fan at this point in my life and I have to realize that the knees are not gonna "regenerate" cartilage so I guess I'm looking for someone to either commiserate with me or chastise me, or maybe I'm just killin' time on the computer ...... YOU decide
    Backcountry, go with either. If I live where you lived, I'd take a 308 and never look back. They sure are dandy little rifles. Moderator AK_lanche and it have posted some exceptional velocity from the 308 pushing 200 grain bullets out of the 308 winchester so make sure to do a search. I used Alliant MR-2000 exclusively, Lanche did equally well with both Reloader 17 and MR-2000 Lanche has also killed up to grizzly bear with his trusty 308's. Forum member 323, who would be a bit more adventurous than you or I, simply loaded some 200 grainer to the brim, and shot them out of his 308 (no incremental starting charges). He would be a third to report the same 30-06 type velocity too. Again, do a search on the 308 I'm kind of busy loading up for tomorrow's range session, otherwise I'd find the threads for yah.

I like 7mm a lot so I would lean to the 7x57 or .280 in a mountan rifle but nothing wrong with the 6.5x55 either but they are all long action cartridges. The .308 family (.243/260/7mm-08/.338 Fed or the .358) will do anything you need and are easy to reload like the .30-06 family. Short actions are great and might save a few ounces for you.

I think I'm going to use my Tikka in .338 Fed for elk or moose and my tried and proven .280 in a 700 Mtn Rifle for lesser critters. I can't walk like I used to and I don't like recoil anymore so that's where I'm headed.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I vote "just killing time on the computer". Don't have much use for the .308 myself, nor magnums, and agree with The Kid about "classic caliber" and not messing with "perfection". And I empathize with you about age and knees. So why not consider a nice light classic rifle in 6.5x55? It's mild mannered and a joy to shoot; will kill everything from mice to moose; has been around longer, and is about the only cartridge that is truly more of a "classic" than the '06.
    I'd put the 7x57 ahead in all stated categories

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I'm a big 7-08 fan & i have one in Kimber montana that is light weight, accurate, & a pleasure to shoot. My 10 year old son shoots it also and likes it. Alot of critters have fallen to this rifle & I highly recommend it. A guys carries a rifle in the field more than he shoots it so thats why i use it.. I truely think magnums are over rated unless your hunting dangerous game. my 2 cents

Glucosomine might help. Add a little of that to the gun powder.

Well.....a 308 is close to the '06 anyway and the '06 does move 180+ weights better but to say the 308 doesn't like looong bullets is ...ah...well...not correct. The VLD's in 173-177 weights are long and arrive at the 800 yard line in good position.

I am a huge fan of the '06 but also the 308, having spent lots of time with it at the long line. It is also more efficient and can deliver from a short barrel better than the '06. An '06 with 24" barrel is all anyone needs for a hunting cartridge for even the longest practical shots, given good bullets, but the 308 is likely the very best deer/caribou cartridge ever invented. Works well on Jihadists, too, so I'm told.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I grew up shooting a 30-06 Springfield my Dad had made into a "sporting" rifle. I used the 220 grain Win. Silvertip for moose and 150 grain Win. Silvertip for caribou. Old rifle shot both to almost the same zero at 100 yards, go figure. Any way, with the factory loads I was shooting in the 60's, I doubt they were going very fast by today's standards. With today's bullets and powders and factory loads, I doubt the loads for the 30-06 from 50 years ago are as good as what you can do today with a .308 Win. and a 22" barrel. The 30-06 did just fine on Alaskan game 50 years ago. Unless you plan on shooting brown bear off of a salmon stream on a regular basis I think a .308 Win. and a tough 165 grain bullet would be fine. I would decide based on the type of rifle you like best and what caliber is available for that rifle. I have an old Pre-64 Win. Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06, it would be the last hunting rifle i would ever sell.