Thread: What's involved in a 135 checkride?

Default What's involved in a 135 checkride?

Hey guys,
    Finally landed a job in Southeast AK flying a Beaver on floats for a part 135 operator! I'll be up there soon and have to attend the companies training program and then get signed off by the FAA for my 135 certificate. I have never flown under these regulations before and from looking through a current FAR/AIM most of the rules look to be IFR, Turbo, or aircraft with more than 10 passenger seats. None of this applies to me so what can I expect from my FAA examiner as far as the ground portion as well as the flight in a Beaver on Floats?

Thanks for the help,
    Adam

Better read that far/aim again. There's plenty that applies to that operation.
    43, 61, 91, 119, 135 are players.
    Commercial PTS maneuvers.
    Opspecs. **
    Company likely has own check airman. Ask him as well. Ground school will answer alot of questions.

Congrats by the way!

Well its just a letter, not a certificate of any kind, its only good for the company you are flying for. The check ride is broken into to parts, the Oral and the Flight Portions. The oral can be very involved. Expect to be asked stuff on FAR-61, 91, 119 and 135 along with AIM. You will be questioned on the Charts, Weather Weight and Balance, Performance aircraft systems. For the Flight Part, standard PTS stuff for a Commercial Pilot single engine, for you Sea, Expect the oral to last two to four hours and around an hour for the flight part. Since this is going to be your first ever 135 gig. Expect a longer Oral. They like to really get into the Ops Manual. The will ask about B-50. Thats a given its where your company can operate. Have fun with it, but be warned, you are going to have a lot of reading and studying in that week of ground school, its easy to fall behind. Do not even think of tv internet or any other distraction till the check ride is done and you to your IOE.

I can tell you that my helicopter check rides involve a lot of emphasis on emergency proceedure and aircraft systems. If you have a company check airmen they spend a fair amount of time in aircraft specific information. You will be a better pilot for the time spent prepping. FAA checkrides are more like PTS manuevers and strong on orals in airspace regs.

You can ask the company to send you the books now so you can start reading and memorizing op specs etc. Congrats and good luck,Tom

It was in the late middle part of the last century but I got reamed by the FAA examiner on a multi-engine 135 ride for "knowing" the specs and not using the check list. His point was you may fly 4 or 5 different planes in a day and you should not rely on memory...I didn't argue and I passed the first time around. Looking back...he was right.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Adam,

Know the beaver COMPLETELY, (Performance, Emergency Procedures, systems, etc) Study everything early and often. Do NOT cram the night before, your brain will turn to mush. Treat your flying (physical abilities and oral knowledge) career like you are flying Mom, Dad, kids, brothers, sisters, Grandma, Grandpa, etc....because you are!

Good luck! You are going to love Alaska.

Brett

just remember, if you are an average pilot like most of us, you can do as 1000's have before you. When ever I felt nervious about a ride I would remind myself of some of the not so average guys that made thru! Going into my first ride in a 727 the check airman told me a neat little thing, if you can take a step on the floor and pick up a five dollar bill , could you take the same step on a beam 100' up and pick up the same $5.00 bill? Its all in your mind, never let anybody psych. you out of your job you earned.Good luck, Tom

Flying all the maneuvers to perfection, whilst displaying nerves of steel and an icy, calm coolness...

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all your input. I'm really not too worried or nervous about the ride so to speak. I will be up there on the 17th and don't do the "ride" till May 5th or so. That being said, I will have a few weeks to get collected and study up on the the procedures. Is it possible I will get tested on multiple commercial pts maneuvers? Any helpful tips or tricks you guys have for flying the Beaver or 185 I would really appreciate since im new to the whole game.

Cheers

I've had a seaplane 135 competency check for each of the last several years.
    Take a look at this document. It's the form that the examiner will will use.

http://images.flightdocs.com/FAAforms/8410-3.pdf

Some of the areas are non applicable. The boxes on my last form checked as completed are 1-5, 7, 9-14, 16, 18, 20 and 21. Even in a VFR operation expect to show some competency in instrument procedures. Maybe just tuning in a VOR and tracking a radial. All areas under seaplane operations will be checked.
    Nobody's ever asked me to fly any of the maneuvers from the commercial checkride. These guys are paying for the fuel that you'll be burning so they're not interested in dicking around with unnecessary stuff.
    At least for me all checkrides are stressful, but if you download the 8419 and mark the boxes I gave you you should have a clear idea of what's expected.

Supporting Member

Who are you going to fly for....Promech, Pac Air, Taquan, Wings Airways?

How did it all go?