Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Plastic

Default Going Plastic

Well, my beloved Lowas have seen better days and after long thought I have decided to try a pair of Kolflach Degre plastic boots this year. Found a deal on a winter close out and mail ordered a pair and after spending the last hour heat forming them, they feel pretty good. If they don't work out, still have some time to work a new pair of Lowas. Anyone else rocking plastics??
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

yes, koflach degres are an awesome boot! would take them over scarpas anyday. Worked great on my previous packing trip. you will not be dissapointed.

Plastics can be tough on long approaches into sheep country.
    But plastics can edge into the little rock outcropping like no other boot can.
    Some guys love em.
    Some can't use em.
    Interested to read your report after multiple long hiking outing for conditioning, prior to the next real hunt.

I ran Degrees for a couple of sheep hunts. Loved them at the time. Eventually wore out first the first pair and never could get the fit right on the second pair. I really liked the stabillity, but you don't break them in. They break you in. Went over to La Sportifs and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    I ran Degrees for a couple of sheep hunts. Loved them at the time. Eventually wore out first the first pair and never could get the fit right on the second pair. I really liked the stabillity, but you don't break them in. They break you in. Went over to La Sportifs and never looked back.

Did you heat form them to your feet???
    Founding Member

How do you heat form them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    How do you heat form them?

Mine were a little tight in the toe, so I cut the toe off a thick old wool sock and put it on my foot and used a thick sock to hold it in place.

I removed the footbed and placed the liner in a preheated oven to 200 degrees and while the liner was heating I used a blow dryer to heat the boot itself. Mine were tight in the toe and the top of my calf, so I made sure that the boot was nice and warm. I removed the liner after 7 minutes or so and quickly place a quality footbed into it and place your foot into it and then the boot and make sure to stomp into it good. I did one at a time and wore them for 30 minutes until they were good and cool. Removed the extra socks and they fit perfect to my foot and the toe box was just right. Took me 2 times to get it right, but worth the effort.

Took them for a spin and so far so good.

Want to make sure that everyone understands to remove the insoles, liner, from boot and only heat liner in the stove.

Be careful!!!
    Founding Member

I have the Koflach Alaskan Hunters and I've been very happy with them. I put a in a set of Superfeet insoles, no heat forming needed. They are probably my most comfortable boot. They take some getting used to on flat terrain, but when its steep or the footing is bad, nothing compares.

If you buy your Koflachs at Barney's, they will help you heat form them before you walk out the store with them.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Steve, Beaver sports might be able to heat mold them for you...

Steve I think you will be petty happy wth the degres.I have used a lot of plastics over the years and find them to be the best balance of comfort and stability. The inner booty is a lot more cushioned in the tongue which reduces the wear on your shin bone.The outter boot is a softer plastic as compared to the scarpa infernos that I used to wear but it still gives excellent support where you need it. If you find on the flats that they are bugging your shins just loosten the outter booty(keep inner boot tight so as not to cause blisters),this seems to help a lot of hunters.Now just get yourself a pair of glacier socks and you'll be set. I actually wear my koflach for all hunting now,they really work great on the tussiks and keep ankles from rolling. In moose country(swampy) I just keep my glacier socks on at all time and just have them rolled down and under my gators and when needed just roll them up. All the best to you.
    Dave

AMH has custom inner booties they will fit to your foot. Pretty trick. Way nice.

funny - I just bought a pair of the Lowa Civetta's. I tried the Koflach Degree's but they dont fit my feet as well. Anxious to take em for a hike!

How heavy (on average) are these plastic boots? I'm shopping for some new boots right now and Lathrop and Sons is probably who I'm going with. I've got small feet so it's hard to find boots that fit and Lathrop will have them custom done. It's pricey but if I have to skimp on anything it isn't going to be my boots.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    How heavy (on average) are these plastic boots? I'm shopping for some new boots right now and Lathrop and Sons is probably who I'm going with. I've got small feet so it's hard to find boots that fit and Lathrop will have them custom done. It's pricey but if I have to skimp on anything it isn't going to be my boots.
    AkHunterNP this is the weight specs I could find for you..
    Weight: 2 lbs. 6 oz. (one boot, size 8.5).
    Dave

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I used plastics to climb Denali. I hadn't spent much time in them beforehand (several climbs up Mat Peak) so I was a little nervous about 2-3 weeks in the same pair of boots. Without dragging it out, they were money. I didn't have a single issue, and would use them again in Goat country. Please note, Goat country. I won't use my plastics for anything other than hunting the nasty nasties. I hunted sheep with a buddy last fall and wore my leather Vasques. Sheep country in most ranges, especially the Brooks, is not plastic boot country imo. The headwall at 14,500' is plastic boot country.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Anyone else rocking plastics??
    .....and on the eighth day God created plastic sheep hunting boots and said they were good! Koflaches ALL the way! I heat molded them to my feet at Barney's after purchasing them. I have yet to get even a hot spot even after packing out a sheep.

Brett

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Limwel View Post
    Plastics were really useful in all types of aspects. But, we should still take considerations on how to use and properly dispose plastic.
    best way.. is to throw it on the heap of burning tires... little while later it can be scooped up with a small shovel.. and buried with the metals
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    you will NOT be sorry with Lathrop andsons.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, which boots did you get through Lathrop and Sons? I don't know if I should go with the mountain lights or the Alaska GTX. I'm leaning more towards the Alaska GTX since it looks to be more waterproof. They are carrying a lot more Danner's now too.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast