Thread: lifting a Hudson Bay Freighter solo

Default lifting a Hudson Bay Freighter solo

I need to lift my Hudson Bay off my trailer to do some trailer renovations. We lack the room to just slid it off and still work on the trailer. I also need to lift my outboard back on which now seems heavier than I recall. I have been thinking of two sets of 2X4 A frames with a 2X8 beam between them and a block and tackle and sling for each beam. Anyone have any ideas if this would be workable and safe?

Supporting Member

Faced similar issues as you. I bought a light duty automotive engine hoist to deal with my 166# MB motor ... got it on sale so it wasn't as expensive as I expected. Your hoist thoughts seem sound, to deal with the hull, but 2 guys can manhandle it onto a trailer. Look at the support system oyster uses to deal with his stripper hull in a small shop with no help ... in his freighter building thread. Looks "trick" to me.

I recommend a SPITZLIFT. I used mine to lift a 12' inflatable on top of my old Hewescraft. I use it now to lift my Tohatsu 50 or anything I want to by myself. Little spendy, but so is back surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattail View Post
    I need to lift my Hudson Bay off my trailer to do some trailer renovations. We lack the room to just slid it off and still work on the trailer. I also need to lift my outboard back on which now seems heavier than I recall. I have been thinking of two sets of 2X4 A frames with a 2X8 beam between them and a block and tackle and sling for each beam. Anyone have any ideas if this would be workable and safe?
    I use an inexpensive block and tackle suspended from an overhead beam. They're cheap and mine
    reduces the apparent weight of my 160# SD to 40# I've removed the motor several times. Two guys can
    easily pull a HB off the trailer -- just use your trailer winch to pull it back on again.