Thread: Bear Hunting Grunt

Default Bear Hunting Grunt

Ok here goes. Just moved down from Fairbanks. I have been wanting to get into AK bear hunting since i moved up here 3 yrs ago. I only have between April 6-12 off. I'd be more than willing to do grunt work and help out any hunters to learn more before I hunt next year. Willing to help with stands, placement or even just scouting if going down to 6D. Not in to taking anyones spot just picking up some knowledge. Thanks

Bears are still sleeping at that time and there will still be to s of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by 310chmo View Post
    Ok here goes. Just moved down from Fairbanks. I have been wanting to get into AK bear hunting since i moved up here 3 yrs ago. I only have between April 6-12 off. I'd be more than willing to do grunt work and help out any hunters to learn more before I hunt next year. Willing to help with stands, placement or even just scouting if going down to 6D. Not in to taking anyones spot just picking up some knowledge. Thanks
    Do you have weekends off and do you have a boat for access to 6D? I am looking to get out to my old place I used bait, stopped in 08 and will hunt there this spring hopefully a few times. Not enough though to run a bait. If I can get out there every weekend on a boat I would let whoever wants the bait have it from here on out. I sold my boat for a worthy reason and never bought another one, been almost 4 years so don't think I will buy another if I have not already. Sure miss it out there. Plus with lots of experience in PWS I would pass that info on as well.

i am going to buy a 12 gauge for grizzly bear can someone give me some advice.
    there are many slugs out there from 5 dollars a box and up what slug is known best for taking grizzly for me its not about price its about what works and would a rifled barrel be better using slugs

Are yoy buying a 12 ga for bear hunting or bear protection?

bear protection

Remington 870 or mossberg 500. 3in mag remington express or winchester super X wil do good. Or for about the same price buy a marlin lever action big bore .444, 45/70, or .450 rifle is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by woulvkite View Post
    i am going to buy a 12 gauge for grizzly bear can someone give me some advice.
    there are many slugs out there from 5 dollars a box and up what slug is known best for taking grizzly for me its not about price its about what works and would a rifled barrel be better using slugs
    The Dixie Terminator slugs are supposed to be one of the best slugs if not the best out there for taking down big game or anything else you can dream up. http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

If you can not get some of those I would take a hard and close look at the other options out there and see what ones are made from a hard cast slug or a harder material. Most run of the mill slugs are very soft and potentially will not penetrate through a big angry bear. Then again this is all internet theory since there are very few cases of people shooting bears with shotguns.

I agree with jcav.444 rifles are a much better choice for incapacitating bears but they cost more to buy and are not always that easy to have on you all the time. Then again very few people can accurately shoot a pistol grip shotgun or carry them all the time.

so the best slug or bullet for bear would be somthing solid that wont mushroom under presher of entering a bear is that right