Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's it...I'm moving to Southeast

Talking That's it...I'm moving to Southeast

OK...not really. That being said, Southeast rocks! I was born and raised in Alaska and have spent a great deal of time on the water, but I've never had the pleasure of spending time in Southeast. This weekend my wife and I went down to join my brother and a friend of his for a couple of days on the water. It only ended up being one day spent on the water due to some issues beyond our control, but man...I saw enough to know that I'll be a frequent visitor to Southeast in the future. My brother was hoping that we'd like it enough to consider going in on a simple cabin with him. Man, we're sold. On the first night we were welcomed with a dinner of king crab, tanner crab, spot and coonstripe shrimp, and halibut - all fresh out of the ocean that day.

The next day we started with some king trolling, where my wife quickly boated this white king:

We later moved on to pulling some dungeness pots:

And later some shrimp pots, though we didn't pull out the camera. Man...what a fantastic weekend! I know I'd miss the high alpine if I lived in Southeast, but still, you folks down that way have a pretty magical playground that you call home.

Sitka is one of my favorite places..
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I would move back to southeast if my wife would go. But with our kids and grandkids in SC I doubt that will ever happen. Maybe if my son-in-law gets a transfer...

I would trade opportunities at bigger game up here for the ducks, fish, shellfish, black bear and deer that are more readily available down there. Of course, my perceptions are based on the Ketchikan and Sitka of the 60s and 70s and I have heard that Sitka and Juneau are not as full of outdoorsmen as they once were. But that is becoming true around the state.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. don't let our secrets out.

Default Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    OK...not really. That being said, Southeast rocks! I was born and raised in Alaska and have spent a great deal of time on the water, but I've never had the pleasure of spending time in Southeast. This weekend my wife and I went down to join my brother and a friend of his for a couple of days on the water. It only ended up being one day spent on the water due to some issues beyond our control, but man...I saw enough to know that I'll be a frequent visitor to Southeast in the future. My brother was hoping that we'd like it enough to consider going in on a simple cabin with him. Man, we're sold. On the first night we were welcomed with a dinner of king crab, tanner crab, spot and coonstripe shrimp, and halibut - all fresh out of the ocean that day.

The next day we started with some king trolling, where my wife quickly boated this white king:

We later moved on to pulling some dungeness pots:

And later some shrimp pots, though we didn't pull out the camera. Man...what a fantastic weekend! I know I'd miss the high alpine if I lived in Southeast, but still, you folks down that way have a pretty magical playground that you call home.
    Brian,

I can't help but laugh looking at that um.....you know, poop eating grin as you're thinking you hit the motherload. I too have not been to SE before...but seriously pushing to get there this summer. What fun.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Brian,

I can't help but laugh looking at that um.....you know, poop eating grin as you're thinking you hit the motherload. I too have not been to SE before...but seriously pushing to get there this summer. What fun.
    It's quite an adventureland, Tim - you could do a crazy number of shows down there between the fishing, crabbing, hunting, trapping, etc.

We're looking seriously at buying a place down there, in which case I imagine we'll be down there at least three times a year. Thinking once in late May/early June, once around Thanksgiving, and again in March. Deer, bears, and fish...oh my!

I've never been as well but have always thought SE was the place to be. Now that you've confirmed it it's just a matter of finding out how to pay for it . Very nice and thanks for sharing the photos.

Any photos of the white king fillets? I've never seen the inside of one. Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Ive been trying for years , the BOSS says no way !! shes afraid of the winters , and shes probably right , both being Cailf natives , but at least I get a coupel weeks a year to hang with my buddys up there , and it a great break for them to come down here in feb to chase coastal steelhead , Nice job on the King , Ive caught a coupel in Juneau , they all say there better eating , and the restraunts charge more for white king , but I can honestly say I cant tell the differnce !! but its probably just me !!! NICE JOB !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Any photos of the white king fillets? I've never seen the inside of one. Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing.
    No pictures from the filleting process, but I'll take a few when we cook some up. It looks a little darker than halibut flesh, but not by much. Super, super tasty....but the same could be said of red winter king. I used to roll my eyes when homerdave would talk about how much better winter kings are than summer kings returning to spawn, but man...there is just no comparison. Amazing!

awesome weekend for sure....what part were you in.....grew up in haines & definitely miss the mountains, water & multitude of seafare.

Brian: Thanks for sharing your experience and photos! Looks like you had a great time and certainly makes me want to venture that direction for the experience.

Heres a pic of a june fish !!kings 2011 023.jpg

Here's a white we caught in Feburary
    Attachment 58787
    Looks like it uploaded upside down... but it tasted good any way you cooked it!

Brian, you can look me up anytime you want to visit the Petersburg area, it is quite a playground and I'll share one or two spots with you but not all of them...
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Brian - read a book called "We All Choke the Same Herring" by Francis Caldwell. In it you'll find a tremendous description of the difference in bodyweight between a feeding king of a given length and body depth and the same size fish staging to spawn. Dramatic weight (fat) loss - on the order of 15-20% if I remember right. That would explain the change in taste. A 15-20lb bright king caught nowhere near its terminal river any time of year is heavenly.

Regarding SE - I'm of the opinion that if a guy can employ himself down there and that same guy likes fishing kings/steelhead/crab/shrimp, he oughta consider living there. You can still ferry to haines and hunt the interior.

Onlly one home showing for sale on AK Realestate in Sitka and it's $2.6M

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Onlly one home showing for sale on AK Realestate in Sitka and it's $2.6M
    Ha! Yeah...that's not the one. We weren't in Sitka, but rather a smaller locale along the way. South of Juneau, north of Ketchikan, in the middle of saltwater paradise.

Ha! Yeah...that's not the one. We weren't in Sitka, but rather a smaller locale along the way. South of Juneau, north of Ketchikan, in the middle of saltwater paradise.
    Did you enjoy Wrangel?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Did you enjoy Wrangel?
    Nah, if I were in Wrangell I would've had Amigo Will showing me around. Besides, I got a PM from another Southeasterner lately that told me Ketchikan is trashy and Wrangell is too full of rednecks. Seriously.

Nah, if I were in Wrangell I would've had Amigo Will showing me around. Besides, I got a PM from another Southeasterner lately that told me Ketchikan is trashy and Wrangell is too full of rednecks. Seriously.
    That pretty much sums it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast