Thread: 168grn LRX for the 7mm

Default 168grn LRX for the 7mm

I was just about to order up a box of the new LRX bullets for my 280AI but paused because the Barnes site calls for a 1 in 9 twist. Anyone try these in a 1 in 9.5 kimber 84L?

holy smokes, don't think I've ever seen a hunting bullet with a Ballistic Coefficient number that high. They look similar to the 200 grain TSX bullets I have.

Caliber Weight Description S.D. B.C.
    6.5mm 127 grain Boattail .260 .468
    7mm 168 grain Boattail *requires a 1:9 twist .298 .550
    338 Lapua 280 grain Boattail .350 .667

That'll sure be a wind and gravity defying bullet for your new rifle. Might defy your rifling twist too though.

I have been looking at the 6.5mm and the .308 bullets in LRX. I currently use the TTSX bullets. I put the numbers into a ballistics program and was disappointed at the results comparing them to similar weight bullets. Not much difference to 400 yards. I bet it would make a difference beyond that, but I am not ready to shoot that far on game. I bet they are LONG bullets and hence the higher twist? 9 vs. 9.5 twist. May be close enough, you going to give them a go?

If you want higher BC with less twist look at Berger. Although not a hunting bullet the Sierra Matchking will probably shoot better for you. The less lead, the longer the bullet so faster twist.

I actually prefer the 160 gr. bullet for the 7mm here in Alaska. I have found that several of my rifles (most recently a 7mm RUM) went from "poor" accuracy with the TTSX 160 gr. to "excellent" (e.g. 1" at 200 yds) with the 150 gr. My feeling is that the increase in accuracy, at least in this rifle, with the 150 gr. is worth the reduced bullet weight.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

A .550BC .284" 168 grain projectile,is far from novel. A 1-10" in 7-08 will stabilize same.

Hint.