Thread: DB301 Any Sign?

Default DB301 Any Sign?

Looking to hit the Peninsula every chance I can this Spring for my draw. If anyone sees anything stirring of interest this Spring, let me know. Anything brown, from nuisance to trophy would be of interest. I had a tough go of it this Fall and want to get some good sightings this Spring.
    Thanks.

I think your best bet is upper Russian lake. the entire trail is thick with bears from upper Russian and along the resurrection but its really thick country. The lake and south facing slopes and slides would be good cause the bears get big up there on salmon in the Fall. try and book the cabin!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

bears everywhere on the kenai, you should have no issue in taking (even a trophy). I grew up there and if its still anything like it used to be.....post up on someones porch with a open bag of dog food and wait....haha. i joke but i dont. the most populated subdivisions seem to be the hot spots, hopefully some f&g person see's this. good luck hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I think your best bet is upper Russian lake. the entire trail is thick with bears from upper Russian and along the resurrection but its really thick country. The lake and south facing slopes and slides would be good cause the bears get big up there on salmon in the Fall. try and book the cabin!
    yes russian is very infested with browns..biggest bear ive ever seen was @ fuller. every single lake on the outskirts of town, both north and south has bears, cruising shorlines(especially if fish are present) should give you success

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    bears everywhere on the kenai, you should have no issue in taking (even a trophy). I grew up there and if its still anything like it used to be.....post up on someones porch with a open bag of dog food and wait....haha. i joke but i dont. the most populated subdivisions seem to be the hot spots, hopefully some f&g person see's this. good luck hunting!
    You did see the 10'er that was killed in downtown Soldotna last year didn't you...???

I do understand that there are a lot of bears in certain areas on the Kenai. My zone runs from Kenai Lake to Seward roughly. I spent several days by the Upper Russian Lake but had a hard time getting a good vantage, but saw lots of sign. I was just hoping with people prepping for baiting season and Spring in the air there will be an increase in traffic on the peninsula. Anybody see anything stirring, I am all ears. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MNAK08 View Post
    I do understand that there are a lot of bears in certain areas on the Kenai. My zone runs from Kenai Lake to Seward roughly. I spent several days by the Upper Russian Lake but had a hard time getting a good vantage, but saw lots of sign. I was just hoping with people prepping for baiting season and Spring in the air there will be an increase in traffic on the peninsula. Anybody see anything stirring, I am all ears. Thanks again for the help.
    When does the permit expire.......?

I've heard of an increase in bear sightings the last few years in the moose pass area, might be a good area to try. Also might want to try hunting the crescent lake area if that is in your permit area. I'm sure there's gotta be some brownies that den up in that area that will be coming down looking for food.

Anyways good luck, I always root for people to get a KP brownie when they get a tag for one. If your willing to put in the time and effort it is possible to get a huge brownie on the KP.

Might want to check your permit. I don"t believe Upper Russian Lake is in your permit area. But Kenai Lake is. I usually see a couple very nice brownies in mid May between Porcupine island and the burn from 2000. Also around Tern Lake. Brown bears start appearing here in the Cooper Landing area around mid April. Good Luck and hunt hard! The moose are counting on you.

Yep, upper Russian is just out of my zone. I hit all road accessible points for this hunt pretty hard this fall. Saw ton of blacks, but only 1 griz. I will have to try to find a way to get back on Kenai Lake. Have a snow machine so will try that until it breaks up, then on the zodiac. Thanks again for the ideas.

Ill tell you what depending spring season and my work schedule if you dont connect on a bear and you are interested I will spend a day or two with you and try to help you connect another set of eyes always helps. I can probably even convince another guide to come along. I obviously can not gaurentee any thing and this is in no way shape or form an offer to guide just a hunter going hunting with another forum member..

Long weekend out running after those brownies. Saw one blackie, decided to see how close I could get to it while on the snowmachine. Got to within 500 yards before it spooked. Wasn't planning on taking it, just wanted to get in a stalk the easy way for a reference. Anybody else see any brown sign on the Peninsula?

Quote Originally Posted by MNAK08 View Post
    Long weekend out running after those brownies. Saw one blackie, decided to see how close I could get to it while on the snowmachine. Got to within 500 yards before it spooked. Wasn't planning on taking it, just wanted to get in a stalk the easy way for a reference. Anybody else see any brown sign on the Peninsula?
    Yes, but not in your area....

If quartz creek is in your area do some looking, there are some large browns on the area!not sure where you could get up to glass though.