Thread: Moose bacon recipes?

Default Moose bacon recipes?

Any one have any moose or caribou bacon recipes? I know I can take it in to have it done but would prefer to process it myself. Thanks all info greatly appreciated

I believe Sportsmans warehouse had a seasoning kit for moose bacon.
    If you decide to hire out, get the pepper bacon made, it's the sh*t!
    Also-If you make some, I' d be interested in how it turns out. Please post your results.
    Thanks,
    BK

Ive had Bears made into Bacon before & it was ok, but thats a great thought for moose, I might try that also.

I will bet the Butcher supply place in Anchorage would have the fixins for it also.

Makes my mouth water already. LOL

RJ Simington

I have had good luck with a product called Buck board bacon. Sportmans Warehouse should have it. I just did a lamb bacon and everyone love it. I did 15 days instead of 10. Make sure you use meat that has some fat or marbling in it.

Lots of luck

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bacon, corned meat, pastrami, its all good!...

google a simple recipe and pick one you like.. > http://www.good.is/post/how-to-make-bacon-at-home/

http://www.imafoodblog.com/index.php...nd-smoke-bacon

when i make moose bacon i used the heavy rib meat, take a fillet knife and slip it right off the bones. then work to get all the silver skin off..

you will end up with several large chunks and a bunch for the grinder. Moose does not have the fat content anywhere in it to make " bacon" but you can make a hunk of meat that smells like bacon, tastes like bacon.. and makes the best pot-o-beans youve every tasted..

that hardest part of making bacon, corned meat, ect.. is designating the fridge space for the length of time you need it. if you like my family.. the fridge is full of everyday crap.. my solution was 2 cheap ones in the garage, to be used for meat processing. been a life saver with all that sausages i have been making this winter..

Have fun... the first few times i did.. were wonderful.. though not quite what i wanted..trail and error, will get you something you love.. and most importantly ENJOY the fact that you carried it through begining to end.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I like the spare fridge idea! When not in use for meat it would make handy storage for copious amounts of beer!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like the spare fridge idea! When not in use for meat it would make handy storage for copious amounts of beer!
    i found a thrift store in town here with a pile of them.. and for 200 bucks have nearly 60CF fridge/freezder space with WIRE racks, and not full of space stealing drawers and gismos

( i bought 2 )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here