Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: How to Get a 2859 Shipped Up to AK????

  1. #1
    Member powderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    297

    Question How to Get a 2859 Shipped Up to AK????

    Im looking at a 2859 in the Portland area. I need to get this 12 Tall x 32 long and appox 8,000 lbs boat up here. I am planning on buying a new trailer, and having set on there for shipment. I original planned on using Horizon Lines, have them put on the barge in Tacoma Wa. I had Horizon barge up a Ford F-250 a few years ago. After I talked to them today they said the boat was to large and declined the deal. So, who else could I contact to get this boat barged up here. Or possibly trucked up. Anyone on here done this before? Have any solutions to me issue of transport?
    The Broker company can get the boat to the barge, if I find an affordable means of getting it up here that way.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks Gents!

  2. #2
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Might try Northland services, http://www.northlandservices.com/
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Cheapest way might be to drive down and haul it back. Some other options include barging it to Haines Alaska and then driving to Haines to pick it up.

    I think the least costly "barge" option is to use the Alaska Marine Ferry option from Bellingham to Haines Alaska. They charge a premium for over 8 foot wide as well.

    Last year when I checked into having our 25 foot Thunderjet shipped up it was going to cost about $5,500 from Tacoma to Anchorage if we choose a commerical company. Would bet you are looking at $7k for the larger, higher, boat. The Marine Ferry was cheaper than Carlile but then you had the drive to Haines and back to tack on.

    I ended up driving down and towed it back.

    Tried that service where you posted what you wanted barged and then received quotes. Every one of the quotes was MUCH higher than Carlile Freight or the Alaska Marine Ferry system.

  4. #4
    Member powderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I will look into the above options. Honestly, I would love to drive down and haul it back myself. I just dont think I could find time though.
    This will be my first glass boat, what is your opinion on bunks over rollers on a trailer. I do plan to tow this boat to Valdez from the Valley atleast 4 times a year, and then storage in the winter months on the trailer. Rollers or Bunks?
    You opinion on these trailers? Never herd of them before but appear to be well built.

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bod/2891633460.html

  5. #5
    Member logman 49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just South of Moose Pass
    Posts
    353

    Default

    You could call Alaska Logistics, they bring a barge into Seward.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I will look into the above options. Honestly, I would love to drive down and haul it back myself. I just dont think I could find time though.
    This will be my first glass boat, what is your opinion on bunks over rollers on a trailer. I do plan to tow this boat to Valdez from the Valley atleast 4 times a year, and then storage in the winter months on the trailer. Rollers or Bunks?
    You opinion on these trailers? Never herd of them before but appear to be well built.


    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bod/2891633460.html
    Those trailers are stout...you`ll need a triple axle for sure. Go with bunks...the long hauls can take a toll where the rollers rest on the hull. BTW, you need a hell of a truck to pull that distance with it...have trailered one and it was pretty darn heavy. You`ll be $$$ ahead to go from Whittier to Valdez by boat instead of towing...not to mention getting there twice as fast. IIRC, you can expect 1mpg with that boat at cruise.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    PM sent. call me if you need details.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    You can use the ak marine highway system to get it from Bellingham to Whittier. You can pay a copy to load it in Bellingham and then transfer it in Juneau to get it on the ferry to whittier. I put my trailer on in bellingham and drove the boat as far as Juneau, then put them together and shipped it to Whittier. I think my total bill was around 4K.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  9. #9
    Member Soundfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    You can use the ak marine highway system to get it from Bellingham to Whittier. You can pay a copy to load it in Bellingham and then transfer it in Juneau to get it on the ferry to whittier. I put my trailer on in bellingham and drove the boat as far as Juneau, then put them together and shipped it to Whittier. I think my total bill was around 4K.
    If you do use the Ak Ferry system and transfer in Juneau, PM me on who not to use. They damaged my tongue trying to back up without the correct wiring plug. Was witnessed by a ferry worker who reported it to me on arrival. Then he denied doing it until he knew of the witness, then refused to pay for it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Petersburg
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I've got a friend that is in the process of shipping up at 24 footer from the Seattle area. He said he was using Alaska Forwarding Services. Shipping to Seward was around $3400.00. I haven't heard how the process is going so don't take this as an endorsement, just an option to explore.

  11. #11
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Just remember if you use a barge service that they add in a fuel surcharge to the total bill, right now i've been paying a 29% surcharge on my freight.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  12. #12
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    list your boat package on www.uship.com and let them bid on it, won't hurt at all and you may hit the jack pot. Also I see several adds around on boat movers who will drag your boat up the highway for you. If you go that route, I would shrink wrap it first. Look on craigs list under rides, upper lft corner, and you might find somebody you can trust to tow it up for you that is on the way, just be sure insurance is in force, also place a add in cl both here and portland cl. These are ideas that are non commercial, but you can save a bundle if careful about who you choose. My neighbor just retired from red dog, he pulled a 32 ft 5th wheel all over the lower 48 this past winter, also has a 24' ft boat he pulls alll over alaska, and now he is short of money. Nice trustworthy guy, bet he could have that boat up here in a week for you for far cheaper then commercial rates. pm me if you want contact info. Bud
    Wasilla

  13. #13
    Member logman 49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just South of Moose Pass
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Here is someone looking to haul a boat to AK. fwdsx-2937783227@sale.craigslist.org

  14. #14
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    I used Totem last year to haul up an airboat. Weighed 5500lbs, OAL about 26', height at 10' along with width. Ran me $4000-.
    Shipped out of Bellingham to Anchorage.
    BK

  15. #15

    Default

    Boat that size has no business being on rollers. They put to much pressure in one spot of the hull and can be deadly on a boat ramp if a mistake is made by unhooking before it's at the water. Bunks insure the boat floats on and floats off, and won't come off as easily if unhooked to early. Just because there are a bizillion boats on rollers doesn't make it a good idea.

  16. #16
    Member powderhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Those trailers are stout...you`ll need a triple axle for sure. Go with bunks...the long hauls can take a toll where the rollers rest on the hull. BTW, you need a hell of a truck to pull that distance with it...have trailered one and it was pretty darn heavy. You`ll be $$$ ahead to go from Whittier to Valdez by boat instead of towing...not to mention getting there twice as fast. IIRC, you can expect 1mpg with that boat at cruise.
    Your INBOX is full, please make me some room. I have some questions for ya.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    PM sent. call me if you need details.
    I never received a PM from ya steve. Try again please.

  17. #17
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    ...you can expect 1mpg with that boat at cruise.
    I know bigger boats with twin outboards that get in the 1.6mpg range. I am betting that would be a 1.8 to 2.0 mpg boat. Maybe JR2 or someone else with one can chime in with an accurate number.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  18. #18

    Default

    Alaska Marine Lines.

  19. #19
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I know bigger boats with twin outboards that get in the 1.6mpg range. I am betting that would be a 1.8 to 2.0 mpg boat. Maybe JR2 or someone else with one can chime in with an accurate number.
    A coworker and his dad have a Bayliner 2859 and he told me that they pretty much get 1 mpg, they have a 454 in it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    A coworker and his dad have a Bayliner 2859 and he told me that they pretty much get 1 mpg, they have a 454 in it.
    We shipped ours up from SEA in 05 on TOTE. I think is was around $6500 then.

    I have an '04 w/350 and get 1.8- 2.1 depending on load.


    I would also second the vote for boating from Whittier to VDZ over driving. It is a nice run and not near as far to haul that big ass boat. We do it a couple times a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •