Thread: Are there jobs of any sort, related to aviation, available to those with around 100tt

Default Are there jobs of any sort, related to aviation, available to those with around 100tt

I know it's a super low number, but I figured it was worth asking, anyway. I have enough money to get my private and commercial license, but getting a bunch of flight time would take me ages if I can't get an aviation related job. My ultimate goal is to become a bush pilot, but I know that's a ways away. I don't mind living anywhere in the world. Africa, South America, Asia, wherever. I don't mind not actually getting to fly. Cleaning planes, general maintenance, etc. sounds fine by me. I'm thinking about the A&P route, but the only way I'd do that is if I can apprentice, and I'm not sure I feel like spending three years doing A&P to get my cert. I don't know how much I'd like it. Anyway, I'm looking for alternatives to A&P

Well there is line service at an FBO, fueling Airplanes. 100 tt is not a lot of time. The route most pilots go is to become a flight instructor and build flight time by teaching people how to fly. Do not discount the idea of an A&P. Its a mistake I made, not getting one when I had a lot of down time due to the economy down turn in the late 1970's. It would have been very use full to me in the kind of flying that I do. It dose open some doors. When I got my first flying job in Alaska, in 1983 I had over 6000 hours in my logbook. It takes time. I was 32 years old, started flying when I was 17!! Instructing, power line patrol did some fire watch, traffic watch banner towing flying a lot of junk airplanes. I still fly junk but at least I know its junk. I was very green and oh so young and foolish.

I would recommend going to one of the bigger operators like Rust and apply for a job as a A&P OJT/ goffer and work your way into right seat rides on days off etc. You most likely will end up with a flying job & a A&P Lic. If they like you they will help you. Sooo, pick a company that you might like to fly for. Good luck, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tylerobot View Post
    I know it's a super low number, but I figured it was worth asking, anyway. I have enough money to get my private and commercial license. I'm thinking about the A&P route, but the only way I'd do that is if I can apprentice, and I'm not sure I feel like spending three years doing A&P to get my cert. I don't know how much I'd like it. Anyway, I'm looking for alternatives to A&P
    I would recommend you continue your flight training. If your going to fly backcountry, get a tailwheel endorsement as soon as possible. You'll want an instrument rating to remove the limitation from your commercial, you'll also want a float rating.

Most definitly get your A&P. If you can attend full time some programs can be completed in 18 months. I attended a local community college full time 8 qts (24months) this will be way faster than working for some other A&P, because the mininum is 18 months for each.(36months for A&P) You'll need to work full time for 3years before you get your IA. You'll want to get that also.
    Check this site to find a school close to you.
    http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp

Good luck