Thread: Alaska Airlines to discontinue Adak service

Default Alaska Airlines to discontinue Adak service

I just heard from Alaska Air today that they are scheduled to discontinue service to Adak in June, but only after finding another carrier to fly the route. Maybe they can talk the Delta, Narrita Japan flight into dropping into Adak. I guess maybe it will be Penair, but what if Penair doesn't want the route? I have mixed feeling about this developement.

Do you still guide out there?

I haven't been there since 2010. I am renewing my Refuge permit though. If Adak becomes more difficult to get to that will improve the trophy quality, so there is an up side to Alaska Air discontinuing service there. It will be interesting.

Last I read of the issue if the DOT/FAA Essential Air Service approves Penn Air's rate request of $1500 then Penn Air can use one of their larger passenger planes. Penn Air was thinking of one freight flight and one passenger flight a week to make up for the loss of the 737 combi usefulness.

If the $1500 rate is not approved then what? If the Essential Air Service program is defunded as DC has tried twice now with FAA funding authorization then what?

From the Alaska Air terminal manager in Adak: Pen Air is the only airline to supply a bid for service to Adak so it will most likely be them taking over in July. He also said there are a lot of people leaving town including his family and he hopes it doesn't just close down. He has a business catering to visitors that will be closing.
    We were planning to head out there again this November hunting using air miles. Bummer!

DaggaBoyAK

The once great and strange shaped antlers of the Adak caribou herd have been shot out in the last 10 years.
    So Alaska Air has stopped flying there?
    Perhaps those caribou genetics will once again have the time to age and mature so that Adak will again, somday, produce the monster caribou racks of the '90s.

Going to make Unit 23-WACH hunting a better deal but more pressure for sure.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaggaBoyAK View Post
    The once great and strange shaped antlers of the Adak caribou herd have been shot out in the last 10 years.
    Didn't Jim Shockey have a big gig out there?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Didn't Jim Shockey have a big gig out there?
    he has a guide agreement on two other islands with the native corps... hes hunting reindeer of the native lands
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    he has a guide agreement on two other islands with the native corps... hes hunting reindeer of the native lands
    Ahhh ok. I recall his show touting mighty guided reindeer hunts in the wilds of Adak.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I heard about in on NPR a few months ago. Something to do with a 1 million dollar federal subsidy, or lack thereof.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith