Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Care Who Pulls the Trigger?

Question Do You Care Who Pulls the Trigger?

The group of guys I hunt with has been hunting together for several years. We divide our kills equally amongst the group and no one has ever shown too much concern for who actually pulls the trigger. We discuss it at the beginning of the hunt and decide who's turn it is. That said, we have an understanding that anyone who is by themselves and has a shot will take it. There is some good natured "discussion" about who gets to shoot but usually it boils down to who hasn't shot for awhile.

I am curious if most hunting groups look at it this way, or if there is more competition for making the kill. We view hunting as a harvest and are most interested in stopping the meat long enough to collect it and stick it in the freezer.

Only in combat.When it comes to eating I as soon have someone else pick up the check.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

We party hunt down here in Iowa. There may be 8-10 of us and our goal is to fill tags. If we have 8 tags total and only fill 6, we divide equally. If we have 22 tags out of 8 hunters, every tag a hunter has, he takes a deer home. Some guys only bring one tag, other bring 4-5. We don't care. We fill as many as we can. It's strictly a meat hunt. If a hunter shoots a buck, he keeps the antlers but the deer goes in to the mix until all tags are filled. This is during our two gun seasons we hunt. We will move hunters around so those that have not taken an animal may have a better shot too. Last year I let two of the younger hunters take the shots instead of me.
    Archery season, we trophy hunt.

If my record is any reflection of my feelings then I clearly prefer not to shoot and would rather just pack out my hunting partners kills.

DaggaBoyAK

When I ramrod a hunt sometimes it is me who shoots first, sometimes it is the newest member of the hunting group.
    Sometimes a coin flip. Sometmes draw straws.
    It depends on what we are hunting, and where, and who paid the most for the fly-in, and whose equipment we are using.
    And who is wasting his hunting time catching fish.
    And who is sleeping late following last nights campfire and beverage consumption.

And this same thread topic was discussed about six months ago while I was lurking around the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If my record is any reflection of my feelings then I clearly prefer not to shoot and would rather just pack out my hunting partners kills.
    You are just the guy I'm looking for ~ tag is DC001
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I love to pull the trigger! I love to make the kill!
    However, I have pulled the trigger on enough animals over the years that I now want my sons or grandsons to have that privilege while opportunity still allows them to. I will be there for the backup shot if needed.

I don't hold much hope for the future of hunting in Alaska for the average person. It is becoming a "sport" for the rich and/or lucky.

When my daughter is along I want her to pull the trigger - she shoots much better than I do.

When my hunting party goes for elk and deer in Idaho, the newest/youngest person always gets first shot. Then up through the ages, unless your on your own. then you take the shot. But we always divvy up the meat equal ways. The hunter that takes the shot keeps the antlers but the meat is spread equally to everyone there.

My hunting partner and I alternate. I shot our first moose 09, he shot the next one in 11, now it's my turn again. Unless his brother comes along with us this year. I would give him new guy preference. Anyone who has never got to actually make the kill on whatever animal should get to make the shot IMO. We split the meat, too, so that takes away the competitive tension.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

sometimes i actually enjoy watching someone else shoot and watching how excited they get. I remember a few years ago i was watching my dad pull the trigger on a nice bull elk and watch him get a little nervous and laughed a little bit thinking to myself. I was the one shaking not so long ago as he was watching me.

We usually let the new guy take the first shot. Unless there is a kid in camp, Children that are old enough get highest priority. Like others have said, the person that pulled the trigger keeps the hide/horns but the meat is equally divided between the family's present.
    It doesn't matter who makes the shot the real work begins after the shot and everyone there is expected to help out.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

The only folks i hunt with are family... whether blood or "alaskan family" matters not. First shot will ALWAYS go to my boy (only kid in the group) if he is with us, be it a bunny or a moose. Pulling the trigger is nothing.... sharing the work is where you earn your "stripes".
    Killing is inconsequential to the experiance once you have done it....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I'm not gonna lie, I'd like pulling hte trigger much more than watching my brother pull the trigger.....all the work gets spread evenly anyway.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I'd like pulling hte trigger much more than watching my brother pull the trigger...
    That's okay kid, things will change when you mature as a hunter.

when i hunt with a group (not guiding) i always offer the shot to whoever i'm with. if they turn it down i'll take it. But i've killed stuff and get the chance to be in on alot more kills than most of the folks i hunt with. Fun to see them shine when they make a great shot! i drop it and its kinda like " huh...ok lets skin." i'm more excited when others shoot.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

as a guide its become second nature to let someone else pull the trigger,It means more to me to see the excitement in someone elses face and just knowing how happy and excited they are. It seems to me that anymore the only way I ever get to pull the trigger is if I hunt alone,,

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    when i hunt with a group (not guiding) i always offer the shot to whoever i'm with. if they turn it down i'll take it. But i've killed stuff and get the chance to be in on alot more kills than most of the folks i hunt with. Fun to see them shine when they make a great shot! i drop it and its kinda like " huh...ok lets skin." i'm more excited when others shoot.
    EXACTLY!!

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    That's okay kid, things will change when you mature as a hunter.
    I reckon, but with only on moose under my belt, and only a couple predators, I'm stil at that "hoarding" stage Ireckon. if there was somebody who doesnt hunt much or was younger than me or what ever I might offer the shot, but I usualy only hunt by my self or with dad or brother, and dad always offers me the shot cause he says "I've done enough killing" (he used to be a ADC trapper so he kinda lost his zest a little" and with the brother rivalry thing, you know how it is.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Killing is inconsequential to the experiance once you have done it....
    I know what you mean, but I don't know If I would use the term "inconsequential"....for myself anyway. Even though I love to hunt and really just being "out there", the older I get, it seems that the actual act of killing itself is getting a little harder for me to do. So I guess it has a different kind of consequence to me now....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast