Thread: Kite fishing the surf?

Default Kite fishing the surf?

Being without a boat -- I always wanted to attach a kite to a fishing line then direct it out to the ocean rigged up. I was thinking of attaching a power grip plus release so when a fish takes the bait, lure, spoon, etc on the fishing line the kite would fly off and hover then I would reel in the fish. After getting the fish in I would bring the kite back in and then send it back out rigged up. I suspect I would be able to troll and cover a large area if a modern kite was used. Not sure how much weight would be needed to keep the line down, though. I also think the kite would have to be sky blue or built to look like a sea gull so as not to spook the fish. I might try out my rig/kite this May but not sure it would be legal. Anyone tried this?

Default balloons

Guys used to use balloons to float the bait out, then pop the balloon. I can't remember how they popped the ballon but a good .338 ought to work ;-D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

sounds legal to me, but I'd bet that the trick would be finding offshore winds
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I was just in Florida and they Kite fish off boats down there. It is just like downrigger fishing but it is Uprigger.
    I caught a 70lb sailfish. They use the kite to dangle live bait just at the top of the water. Then when a fish hits it releases just like the downrigger.

i don't think the kite is going to spook any fish, no matter what color it is.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I think the .338 and fishing would be enjoyed by most out here in the valley, especially if one adds whiskey in the mix -- goodtimes

I have saw the balloons before but the were let out in the surf.

The kite idea from shore may need two folks -- one for the kite and one for the rod.

For those who care to research this a little farther go to www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/ocean/seabreezes.htm for an explanation of how the land/sea breezes work and how you can go either onto or off of shore by varying your altitude.

Default kite fishing - kiwi style

Try the NZ Fishing News, or other NZ fishing rag -- the Kiwi's are big on kite fishing, form low, long beaches, over rips and off reefs and high banks. I obtained a NZ kite with gear. December issue focused upon technique for fishing gear off sea floor -- good source for other techniques like jigging and for sport fishing innovations.

Thanks for the NOAA site. I think it will not be too difficult to get a kite up on most beaches and out a great distance during the day. The rigging of the kite to a line might take some work, especially in high winds. Looks like a kite could be flown at night with neon lights on the kite, but the wind pattern may be a little more challenging? I looked but was unable to find the NZ fish news site or article. Anyone a kite expert on this list?

Default kite fishing info

Via google, type in: Kite fishing New Zealand -- loads of references and sources

ARR,
    I've done quite a lot of kite fishing from the long range tuna vessels out of San Diego......it works very well there but they are anchored and the wind positions the boat for the proper presentation.....I don't think you will find a predictable wind for shore fishing.

Also, the Aussies do some floating balloon presentations for marlin....I have a video of this.....but in both cases they are using large live bait.... a small bait like a herring would be wind vulnerable and require additional lead etc....

Another trick the LR boats use in light winds is to put a helium ballon behind the kite.

I don't feel that the kite will scare the fish as the fish and birds often work in conjunction on bait schools.....warm water captains look for bird activity to find fish as I'm sure some Alaska captains do also.

I have also been concerned with the Alaska surf and winds and keeping the bait down with weight. The rocky end of beaches might work better depending on the wind? Do not really know. I suspect the kite fishing from shore may be plagued with problems, but eventually I might catch a fish on the rig, which would be a big triumph. Then again, I may just be kite flying and never get it to work right from shore.

Saw the cool RC boat fishing video and thought I would bump this thread. I made a basic kite and tried it on a windy day. A more sturdy kite is needed. The fish started biting so I went fishing.