Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shore Fishing on the Kenai Peninsula and Homer

Default Shore Fishing on the Kenai Peninsula and Homer

A part of our trip will involve leaving the Sterling area and heading around towards Homer. We'll have the whole day to travel and look for things to. Tides seem to be fair for trying some clamming. Thought we would hit Anchor Creek for Silvers and we will wind up staying two nights in Homer.

We're going to rent Kayaks and check out the bay, but will also have some time to fish while we're there.

Was thinking an 11 foot medium action rod, 20 pound test and casting from shore or from the spit.

Anything else we should look for along the way, or recommendations on fishing from the shore or spit around Homer would of course be appreciated.

You don't say what time of year, but mention silvers so I am assuming August. Silvers can be had from Deep Creek,Ninilchik and Anchor River. Fish them all early in the AM. When in Homer you might catch something casting spoons off the spit, my Grandfather used to get one or two silvers a day doing that, but it was 30 years ago. You can also try around the fishing hole on the spit, or actually fish in the hole itself. Another spot is the campground next to Lands End. You will see all the people fishing down there. You can catch cod, pollack, flounder and who knows what else. I just use a one oz sinker and a herring on a hook with a 3 ft leader. Fun for kids as if you hit it right you can catch something on every cast. Fling the bait out and let it sink... wait for bites. Good luck and have fun.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Good call JR2, time of year would tell a lot.....We're leaving Sterling the morning of Sept 1st, and will spend th day of Sept 2nd in Homer. Any recommendation on a bait shop in Homer.

I usually just buy some herring at the gear shed on the spit, that time of year I think its probably still open. If not you should be able to find some in town, heck I think the Safeway in Homer probably has herring.

Just a note, since you are going to be fishing after the first of Sept, remember that the rivers (deep creek, anchor and ninilchik) will be no bait by then. Single hook artificial lure only. That means no eggs and no scent either.

The rod you mentioned above will work fine by the way.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have two days and me and a friend are going to have two days to drive from Anchorage and fish. I was thinking of just chucking bait from the shore, or throwing jigs. I was thinking around clam gulch area... figured we'd catch something.... maybe a small halibut? rockfish? Any suggestions? Good access to fish from? Beaches or jetty's?

PS - I am going in on April 12 and 13th, so I expect it to be a bit chilly out..any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Uboatman View Post
    I have two days and me and a friend are going to have two days to drive from Anchorage and fish. I was thinking of just chucking bait from the shore, or throwing jigs. I was thinking around clam gulch area... figured we'd catch something.... maybe a small halibut? rockfish? Any suggestions? Good access to fish from? Beaches or jetty's?

PS - I am going in on April 12 and 13th, so I expect it to be a bit chilly out..any issues?
    you wont have much luck in the clam gulch area, you need to go further south
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Good call JR2, time of year would tell a lot.....We're leaving Sterling the morning of Sept 1st, and will spend th day of Sept 2nd in Homer. Any recommendation on a bait shop in Homer.
    I would say your best bet for fishing from shore would be at Whiskey Gulch. If I were going to do it I'd try about an hour before to an hour after high tide and especially if the tidal swing is at an extreme. In my experience I've found that foraging fish tend to come in closer to shore around the high tide mark and would allow you the best bet for catching something. There's a decent access road that goes from the highway down to the beach there and other than the obvious road accessible spots such as the Anchor Point beach road and the Deep Creek road there aren't a lot of spots that are beach accessible other than across private property.

As for bait, you can purchase it at Safeway, though I don't know what you'll find in their bait refrigerator around Labor Day. If you don't feel like coming all the way to Homer just to buy bait they do have bait at the gas station in Anchor Point (can't remember the name of it offhand), or in Soldotna at a number of places.

For "Uboatman". I have a feeling you're going to find pretty slim pickings fishing off the beach at this time of year, but I sure wouldn't want to say it would be totally fruitless. Once again I'd try as close to the high tide mark as possible down the Whiskey Gulch access road. You might hook into an early arriving king or possibly a halibut or two. Though you might find the Whiskey Gulch access road isn't passable yet. We had a LOT of snow this year and I doubt that it's high on the list for snow removal. It might be a couple of feet under snow.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Hi 2paws We will be in that area late July into August and 2 of our group are taking beach casting gear this year to see what we can catch from the shore .
    I will let you know our findings /results when we return to Scotland .

Charterboat Operator

How could you all forget about are world famous fishing hole located in the middle of the Homer Spit!!! Salt water shore fishing at it's finest!!! King's. Silvers,Pink's! Break out the lawn chairs!! great place to take the kid's, Burger and tackle joints just across the street. The Nick Dodiak Fishing Lagoon!! Look it up on the chamber website. Way more fun then catching pallok and bullheads off the end of the Spit. Build a camp fire and watch the bobber!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    How could you all forget about are world famous fishing hole located in the middle of the Homer Spit!!! Salt water shore fishing at it's finest!!! King's. Silvers,Pink's! Break out the lawn chairs!! great place to take the kid's, Burger and tackle joints just across the street. The Nick Dodiak Fishing Lagoon!! Look it up on the chamber website. Way more fun then catching pallok and bullheads off the end of the Spit. Build a camp fire and watch the bobber!!!!!!!
    I don't mean to be disparaging toward the Fishing Lagoon because it IS a great place to take your kids and give them a chance at catching a decent salmon, and a nice place to just sit back in a lawn chair and take it all in, but I wouldn't call it "salt water shore fishing at it's finest" by any means. If given a choice I'd go for the Whiskey Gulch option. You have a decent shot at catching a halibut (I caught a 70 lb. halibut about 50 yards from shore once) and an even better chance at catching a king or silver depending on what time of the year it is (I've caught 30+ lb. kings in the surf break on shore before and at the highest tide mark many kings within 20 to 50 yards from shore). Catching a king in the salt like that is like hooking onto a freight train. You won't get that in the Fishing Lagoon.

For "Uboatman". I have a feeling you're going to find pretty slim pickings fishing off the beach at this time of year, but I sure wouldn't want to say it would be totally fruitless. Once again I'd try as close to the high tide mark as possible down the Whiskey Gulch access road. You might hook into an early arriving king or possibly a halibut or two. Though you might find the Whiskey Gulch access road isn't passable yet. We had a LOT of snow this year and I doubt that it's high on the list for snow removal. It might be a couple of feet under snow.
    You can get down to whiskey gulch now with any full size suspension 4x4. Some wash out from melt off running but we've been down every day for the last week just playing.

If you are shore fishing at Whiskey Gulch for Kings, what works well for bait/lures? Been itching to try surf fishing, just might have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by didger100 View Post
    If you are shore fishing at Whiskey Gulch for Kings, what works well for bait/lures? Been itching to try surf fishing, just might have to give it a shot.
    I've never surf fished there, but when I'm trolling Whiskey Gulch I almost always use either red label or green label herring, though I'd think just about any "bait fish" imitating lure would work, too. I like Tee-Spoons for spinners and Northern Kings for spoons, though there are about a million other brands that are similar. But if I were going to go up there and try the first thing I'd try would be a herring.

When I first started fishing Whiskey Gulch about 20 years ago I heard from a seasoned fisherman that for the "early run" of kings (like from about now until mid to late June) herring was the most effective thing to use, and then for the "late run" people would switch to large spinners (like the Tee-Spoons) or spoons. I never was able to figure out why, but that was a pretty popular bit of advice back then. Don't know if it still holds, but I never seem to have any problem catching kings with good ol' herring.

If you want a "bait" option that doesn't require refrigeration, nor finding a fresh supply you might want to consider getting some berkley saltwater gulp.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you want a "bait" option that doesn't require refrigeration, nor finding a fresh supply you might want to consider getting some berkley saltwater gulp.

Ya know, one of these days I've got to give those a try trolling. It would be interesting to fish them on one line and herring on another and see what happens.

do you guys use a slip sinker or fixed? i just picked up a surf set up and now im jonesing for high tide! i have also heard the fishing gets better when the hooligan run and gets nearly impossible when the set netters are there. any help on rigging would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    do you guys use a slip sinker or fixed? i just picked up a surf set up and now im jonesing for high tide! i have also heard the fishing gets better when the hooligan run and gets nearly impossible when the set netters are there. any help on rigging would be much appreciated
    Since I haven't actually tried surf fishing for kings I can't speak from experience. But if I were fishing for kings I'd try to keep whatever it is I'm using as a lure or bait up in the water column and moving as much as possible to imitate bait fish. So casting and retrieving a herring or spinner or spoon or something like the Berkley Gulp Paul suggested would be my first effort.

If I were trying to target halibut I'd probably use a regular old halibut rig that keeps it right on the bottom.

Saturday, halibut No. 2 was landed for the yr from the beach at whsky gulch. Monday, numbers 3 and 4 were landed. One 8 lber and the other about 14 lbs. The road to the beach was freshly graded and a BIG RV already down there. Fish butts w a pyramid sinker from 5-8 oz and a chunk or 2 of herring. Let soak. A person can cast for kings but its a total crapshoot till they really start running. A large Krocodile is probly the best thing to throw for the kings.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Saturday, halibut No. 2 was landed for the yr from the beach at whsky gulch. Monday, numbers 3 and 4 were landed. One 8 lber and the other about 14 lbs. The road to the beach was freshly graded and a BIG RV already down there. Fish butts w a pyramid sinker from 5-8 oz and a chunk or 2 of herring. Let soak. A person can cast for kings but its a total crapshoot till they really start running. A large Krocodile is probly the best thing to throw for the kings.
    Cool! Good to hear that. It won't be long before bigger butt are being pulled in.

Thank you to all who are kind enough to share there knowledge with those of us new to the area and to the sport. I can't wait to try some shore fishing this year. I'm ready to join the big butt club. Someone ought to take the words from that song from Shrek, "I like big butts and I cannot lie.." or something like that and make a halibut t-shirt. Of course, someone probably already has.

Going to run down to Kasilf and/or Whiskey Gulch in the morning to see what the area looks like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast