Thread: heat my home???

Default heat my home???

i have persevered through a homestead in cordova for 8 years, and loved every minute even although it almost killed me but instead made me stronger(ahhhh). so now i am a little more set up ready to build version 2.0. the house i am thinking of building is 26 by 26 two stories with a loft 1800 square feet. i have a decent hydroelectric system if needed, and most definitely want to heat with 100% wood. how do i heat this baby? i have looked into wood boiler systems, masonry stoves, and a single blaze king located in a central location in the home. the house i am thinking of building is going to be 4 to 5 star energy rated so i do not want to over size. any ideas, links, dealers, products, example homes, would be more than appreciated.

Blaze King on a lower level will keep you warm, no problem.
    Blaze King Princess will work, but logs will be shorter and split another time vs. the king model.
    BK

Hard to visualize your design; is that 26'x26' two-story plus a loft? Single woodstove might take quite a while to heat up a place like that, although it will eventually, and in a coastal climate prob not that big of a deal. Homesteaders are tough, right? I got a buddy with a wood-fired radiant system, I don't really like the idea. He's got a sawmill, so fuel's not an issue, but the things' complicated and cost an arm and a leg. Real good stove located centrally, chimney straight up along side your ridge so the least amount exposed to the cold possible, plus snow won't wipe it out, you're golden.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

A masonry stove is a wonderful thing, especially if you can design for it up front. Have to say that your "4 to 5 star" goal is a little disappointing though. 5 star standards are stupid easy to meet, and anyone who really cares about what they're building can and should strive to blow the 5 star rating out of the water.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Blaze King on a lower level will keep you warm, no problem.
    Blaze King Princess will work, but logs will be shorter and split another time vs. the king model.
    BK

Always go with a little bigger stove as you can always use a smaller fire but with a small stove you can only get so much heat from it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDV View Post
    and most definitely want to heat with 100% wood. how do i heat this baby? i have looked into wood boiler systems, masonry stoves, and a single blaze king located in a central location in the home. the house i am thinking of building is going to be 4 to 5 star energy rated so i do not want to over size..
    I'm no pro but the 4 to 5 star energy rated is THE KEY to save the amount of wood you have to burn for sure, no matter what system you choose!

My question is: can you do both a regular internal wood stove and a wood boiler with large insulated water storage area? My brother in law has that in a home in Michigan and he likes the convenience of doing a huge charge of big logs to heat up the water in a tank under the house some times and like to be able to run his wood stove other times. The wood boiler, since he has free wood, allows him some freedom from loading his stove all the time. It also allows him to burn crappy wood, pallets, etc,.

It cost him a bundle, wood boilers are inefficient compared to wood stoves but they do distribute heat all over the house and can be more convenient.

Just a thought. I wish I had the money to do what he did but not yet.

You might want to do overkill on the insulation up front and save a ton of work, money, and time on heating later. There is a guy in Fairbanks that heats his house with solar for 9 months of the year and and burns 1 1/2 cords for the remainder. He has a ridiculous amount of insulation, you wouldn't need that much where you are.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Here is method that is growing in popularity. I use one in my green house to get an early start. It's called a thermal mass radiating heater. Fueled by wood.

Here is very good link to get you started...
    http://www.richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

Here is another link with more detailed explanations, and drawn illustrations that explains the physics behind the process.
    http://neilorme.com/Rocket%20Mass%20Heaters.pdf

I assure you they do work. I will be constructing one in my new cabin I am building this year. My daughter and her husband built one 2 years ago in their home in Washington State. They went from 3 - 3 1/2 cords of wood a winter, to less than a cord. Their home is larger than your new plans.

I would however, build one in your yard, small scale. That way you will see first hand how it actually does work and you'll be able to make modifications and adjustments alot easier if you decide to use this in your new home, or green house even.

Good Luck!