Thread: Garmin 740s

Default Garmin 740s

Was wondering to get some reviews on people who owner it. I thinking of buying one.
    Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I havne't used mine but a few times since I recently bought my boat, but I love it so far. The touch screen is easy to use and if you get the radar package, the overlay option is nice too. I believe there are several people on here that have it and like it too. It's hard to beat that unit for the money.Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I bought one two years ago. It is easy to use and to navigate with. I've found great structure. BUT, I can't see salmon on it, even when I know I am over them. I can see bait fish and bottom fish that are off the botom-just not salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I bought one two years ago. It is easy to use and to navigate with. I've found great structure. BUT, I can't see salmon on it, even when I know I am over them. I can see bait fish and bottom fish that are off the botom-just not salmon.
    It seems that Garmin is a mapping company first and foremost, and that finding fish is a distant second at best. Which transponder are you using? I'm curious what people think about the 740s combined with the 1kW TM260 Airmar on the transom. Because of "not seeing fish", I kind of lean towards Furuno right now, probably the 585, but I'm just starting my research on the topic. I'm going to be buying a unit within the next couple of months myself and I don't want to drop a couple of grand on the table for something that can't find fish. Are the Furuno maps really that bad in Alaska???

Brian

Charterboat Operator

am in the market myself, love the garmins, but want better fish finding abilities, got talking to a guy at the show last week and was really impressed with the overall unit of raymarines "e" series, seems they have a little more than what garmin has to offer. Not wanting to hijack GRAY's thread, but has anyone run one? comparison to the 740's ?
    PB

My 198c garmin shows fish and baitfish with no problem.
    I want a unit the can show me better graphics of the bottom.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whether having good results or not, could you folks please mention what transponder you are using and it's wattage? Performance varies quite a bit by transponder...

Brian

I'm using the dual freq HD. I belive it's 50/200?
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I'm using the dual freq HD. I belive it's 50/200?
    Can you see things like thermoclines, bottom density, mid-level salmon, fish near bottom etc?

Thx,
    Brian

After sitting thru AKCapt's seminar last weekend, I'm going to set it up and see just how good this one is in a couple weeks. So for now? I'm not too sure how good it sees that stuff. Sorry.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    After sitting thru AKCapt's seminar last weekend, I'm going to set it up and see just how good this one is in a couple weeks. So for now? I'm not too sure how good it sees that stuff. Sorry.
    No fair getting to go to that seminar! I will expect some tutoring this summer !!

Actually, I plan on posting my results as soon as I get it figured out.
    MMSI# 338232859

I am still using my C120 Raymarine, I really like it and it shows a lot, the E series is supposed to be even better.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I am still using my C120 Raymarine, I really like it and it shows a lot, the E series is supposed to be even better.
    thanks gerberman; off to polar marine this morning to try and succomb sticker shock!

The transducer that I installed is a thru haul Garmin plastic transducer in 50/200khz. It was the one that Accupoint on the Old Seward Hwy recommended. The good side is that I do not loose the bottom on plain unless I am over 500'-600'. I can identify bottom structure very well. The built in map and bottom contour is great. I just can not see a school of silvers, even with the gain turned up to 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    The transducer that I installed is a thru haul Garmin plastic transducer in 50/200khz. It was the one that Accupoint on the Old Seward Hwy recommended. The good side is that I do not loose the bottom on plain unless I am over 500'-600'. I can identify bottom structure very well. The built in map and bottom contour is great. I just can not see a school of silvers, even with the gain turned up to 100%.
    Your school of silvers may be fairly close to the surface and be tuned out by the "surface noise filter", also I think the Garmin sounders tend to focus more on the bottom so the auto gain feature tunes out a lot of the fish in the water column. Try running with spit frequency for a while and turn the gain up quite a bit. Then turn the gain down once you've figured out what you are seeing on the sounder and what you'd like to tune out.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

In this months issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine on page 34 there's an article on CHIRP technolgy used with sonar units. Do any of you have incorporated with your equipment, and if so could you comment on it. From what I read in the story it sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by RadFisher View Post
    In this months issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine on page 34 there's an article on CHIRP technolgy used with sonar units. Do any of you have incorporated with your equipment, and if so could you comment on it. From what I read in the story it sound pretty good.
    Garmin calls it "Spread Spectrum", just as an FYI. I've heard it's pretty good too, but pretty $$$$

Brian