Thread: Had a skull bleached...

Default Had a skull bleached...

And now the teeth are spliting and the enamel is falling of a few of them, its starting to turn yellow on top.

Is this normal? The lions skulls I've had done didn't do this, is it something with the bears?

from what i understand the yellowing has to do with the oils seeping out as the taxi didnt do his job correctly.... the enamel i have no idea

After reading some post's on here and on tax.net, the 4 week turn may have somthing to do with it.

Anyone know of a way to repair the teeth?

The Cracking teeth can be from either putting it in a Freezer OR from Over Boiling.

Some teeth wont crack from being frozen but a lot do.

The yellowing is from not DEGREASING & Bleaching properly.

You can do it again if needed.

Mix 30% Peroxide with water about 50/50. Soak in this for a day or two. Take out & wipe off excess moisture then get BASIC WHITE & 30% Peroxide ( BEAUTY SUPPLY PLACE) , mix into a paste & use a paint brush to coat ENTIRE skull Including In the Sinus cavity & the Entire Brain cavity.

Leave it on a counter for a day or two till it dries, the wash the powder residue off with water. Let dry in the sun if possible.

As for the teeth , use some 5 minute epoxy & wipe it on the cracked teeth trying to get a little down in the cracks.

Wipe off the excess & it shouldnt show too bad plus it willkeep them from cracking further.

Hope that helps.

RJ Simington

Thanks thats helps alot, I'm very unimpressed with the work the did on the rug too, rolled up hide behind his ears, ears look like the split them from the outside, they didn't but what ever they did made them look that way, but I'm very picky, thought 1300 would get a good rug, its not horrable but not 1300!

I am guessing but I would think it would be better to fix the teeth first? I sure hate for my first grizz skull to look to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Thanks thats helps alot, I'm very unimpressed with the work the did on the rug too, rolled up hide behind his ears, ears look like the split them from the outside, they didn't but what ever they did made them look that way, but I'm very picky, thought 1300 would get a good rug, its not horrable but not 1300!

I am guessing but I would think it would be better to fix the teeth first? I sure hate for my first grizz skull to look to bad.
    Sorry to hear about your experience, I would take the rug and the skull back and have them fix them correctly.

Or if you want to cut your losses fix the skull yourself and find another taxidermist that will take on the rug project.

If you got the skull back in 4 weeks there is no way it was properly degreased. Grizzly and Brown bear skulls take a LONG time to properly degrease.

RJ's method of repair works very well, and he's offered some solid advice.

Itís not uncommon to have teeth crack, especially on larger canine teeth. As teeth dry out, the enamel can split (usually along the natural linear axis). Sealing the teeth with a brushed-on clear acrylic sealer after completing the skull blaching/drying process can reduce the chances of it happening, but not always prevent it.

I super-glue and/or epoxy a cracked tooth back together, then brush on a seal of acrylic clear sealer.

Sorry it happened, but in dealing with natural materials, itís sometimes unavoidable.

Attached are a just a few links to the Taxidermy forum that discuss such occurrences:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...c,34545.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,125676.0.html

Best of luck on your repairs.

Thanks guys,

I wont let them touch another hide of mine, like I said new to bear hunting and was looking for quality work.

I just need to learn to DIY, used to do all my elk, mule deer, lion. But was nervious about a grizz, since it was my first, what a great day that was just like the first deer hunt.

That's what prob made me the maddest about the hole deal, I could have done a better job myself, but live and learn.

Anyone in the valley that would like to know the tax that did the work, I will tell you.

I just need to learn more about fleshing. They cut so deep next to an eye brow that they took it off.

Again thanks for all the tips hope I can fix the skull, the rug is what it is. Don't think it would be worth spending the time or money trying to fix the mistakes.

Thanks,
    John

John I would be interested in hearing who the taxi was.

John,
    Also interested if you could send a PM.
    Thanks,
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've dealt with the same problem several times (I've finally learned). I way over boiled a couple skulls and had pretty severe problems with cracked teeth. For the ones with simple small cracks, I did just as Lonewolf said and just super glued them back together. For the more severe cracks, I took the tooth apart (finished the crack so-to-speak), used a dremel to hollow it out a bit so the pieces fit together perfectly, then epoxied them back together. I then used bone white Apoxy-Sculpt to rebuild the areas that the enamel was gone/pieces were missing. It really wasn't difficult to do at all.

Well It wont let me PM so lets see how long this last's hope it will help others, I think they could do a good job but it seems that over the years they got in the production mode rather that quality.

Tundra Tax

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Hey mooney, where are you located?

Palmer, need more words I guess,

Headed on a long blacky hunt, middle of may, and need to save money for the rugs we will get.

I will come in and talk to you, and look at your work, please don't be offended if I question you about every little thing you do.

Thanks
    John

If the map I just found is right, then I bet I could throw a rock and hit your studio.

Do you work from home?

If you are really this close I will try to make a "sales call".