Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you name your Boat?

Default Did you name your Boat?

Ok now this has gotta be the hardest part for the New boat owner ...... Naming the Boat... Ok I'm talking about me!

I have tossed back in forth many sleepless nights over this and still have not yet settled this hugh issue My boat does not yet have a name!

oh yeah I thought about several different ones and blah! stupid they are....

The only one that I can see so far that may decribe me and the boat is surly going to get me in trouble with the lady...

(Fish -N- Chicks) so I guess I need to try harder at this.........

Its bad luck to not name it! Go sit in it for awhile, It will tell you its name. The good news is that if you stick with Fish-N-Chicks and your wife kicks your butt out you can spend more time fishing!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

We just named ours Wakey-Wakey
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

If you google "naming a boat"....you will find plenty to read on the subject and some great ideas most of us never think of. If you have kids, let them participate and if you plan to share the boating adventures with your wife, her too....otherwise name it Fish n' Chicks and you can be alone...unless you ARE really good with the chicks Our youngest son named our boat "the Muckle" which raises a few grins and eyebrows, but actually it is a fishwhacker from the book "Captains Courageous" which my son and I read together, and he remembered that when handlining cod, they whacked them with a "muckle"...

We also just got a new boat recently. Naming it was a family affair. My wife, kids, and myself all picked names we liked, we decided on 6 names. We assigned each name a number 1-6, rolled a dice and the first name to be rolled 3 times is what we went with. It just so happened to be one of the names I chose. So now, our boat is named "Kalgin King"
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

When I bought mine it wasn't named yet, which is a good thing. This winter I've spent a lot of time sitting in it and cleaning it up. One day while drinking a few homebrews in my winter man cave (boat), I said "not too shabby". So, from then on I decided to name her KNOT TOO SHABBY!
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That sounds like a kool name. I finaly/officially named my Phantom... "Bob on This"... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    When I bought mine it wasn't named yet, which is a good thing. This winter I've spent a lot of time sitting in it and cleaning it up. One day while drinking a few homebrews in my winter man cave (boat), I said "not too shabby". So, from then on I decided to name her KNOT TOO SHABBY!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I tusseled for years before just this year deciding on "Rock Magnet". I believe that a fine boat needs to "name itself", and mine certainly did, last hunting season.

I'm still looking for a good set of stencils; anyone got some leads?

My wife and I struggled with a boat name after we bought our boat last year. We got our little boys involved but naming the boat Thomas the boat (after thomas the tank engine) or Spider Man was kind of out. We thought of 100's of ones we did not like, finally my wife started looking at names in other languages. We tried all kinds of stuff in Spanish, German and finally Swedish (my wife has Swedish roots). We finally settled on Stor Fisk... Big (or Large) Fish in Swedish. If your kids are older than mine (4-6 at the time) get them involved.
    On a side note think outside the box as well. My first boat was a 75 Harvey Dory, it had a white hull with an orange cabin on it... I called it Dreamsicle.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I am dealing with Hi Res Graphics in Eagle River. They seem to be priced fair.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Before I bought the Phantom last year, I had a 20' Klamath (open skiff type boat) w/ 35 horse Yammy, 2 stroke. We mostly fished the Kenia as well as the lakes on the Kenia Peninsula. When it was time to name the boat, I had my kids in on it and they came up with the name "Fish-O-Matic". It was a perfect name for it as we used to catch the salmon almost automaticaly whenever/wherever we went. It always make the kids feel like they had a huge part in naming the boat and also gave them something to tell their friends. It was a great feeling. The kids have growed up and moved away so after a summer of running it, and the way it just bobbed in the shallows (8" or so), the Phantom's new name (Bob on This) just kinda worked great. And, of course since my nickname is Bob, that also helped with the decision. I got the letters already and will be putting them on just as soon as the temps warm up. If you see me on the river, say Hi!!!... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My wife and I struggled with a boat name after we bought our boat last year. We got our littlys involved but naming the boat Thomas the boat (after thomas the tank engine) or Spider Man was kind of out. We thought of 100's of ones we did not like, finally my wife started looking at names in other languages. We tried all kinds of stuff in Spanish, German and finally Swedish (my wife has Swedish roots). We finally settled on Stor Fisk... Big (or Large) Fish in Swedish. If your kids are older than mine (4-6 at the time) get them involved.
    On a side note think outside the box as well. My first boat was a 75 Harvey Dory, it had a white hull with an orange cabin on it... I called it Dreamsicle.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I kinda like to get to know a boat before naming it. Our last two boats, friends started referring to them by a name and it stuck. After a couple of trips in one, friends started calling it Lucky Lund. And lucky it was, so the name stuck. Our new boat doesn't have an official name yet, but one is starting to emerge even before it hits the water. If it sticks after a couple of trips, it's going on the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I tusseled for years before just this year deciding on "Rock Magnet". I believe that a fine boat needs to "name itself", and mine certainly did, last hunting season.

Family man
    I have 2 sets of stencils I believe a 2" and a 3" set..
    Your welcome to borrow them if you want.

I let my boat name it's self over the first few years and it was a couple long stories and shocking experiences long ago that led to the name but it is quite appropriate for both the literal meaning and the enduring ability to withstand the abuse. However, I have never put the name on the boat out of fear someone would want to test it out - "Bullet Proof"

I call mine "HIGH AND DRY", seemed appropriate after a few times!!! Anyone got a tide chart??

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    We went to Action Signs and Graphics in Anchorage, they took a PDF graphic file we made up and made a great double layer vinyl decal for us... Hull ID for both sides and Name on the back for ~$30 I think it was. I think it is in my avatar still.

Our boats name came easy I have been known as Shum since (grade school???) Hence, "Shum Boat" We are Shum Family, I am Shum Guy, and my Wife Shum Girl. We have Shum Kids.....

My first boat was a 78 Bayliner Saratoga. Great boat, but old boat and I spent many hours doing repair and maintence. I spent so much time with her down at her slip in Deharts Marine (auke bay) thay my wife say I should name her, "My other b*tch". I loved the name, but didn't think the coast guard would.

I ended up naming her "Ms. Adventures".
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Stid2627 Love that boat looks awesome, good name for it too so.

So far half of the names I have tried to pass off have either got me a sore arm or a really good look that says all ... aww man if this keeps up I deffinatly will be sleeping in the boat more than I planed....

Our boats name came easy I have been known as Shum since (grade school???) Hence, "Shum Boat" We are Shum Family, I am Shum Guy, and my Wife Shum Girl. We have Shum Kids.....[/QUOTE]

Oh no! now that is deffinatly Shum name for for Shum boat.......

Well, "Wicked Willy" guess you better not name the boat that either Nor would I suggest one I hear on the VHF out of Valdez "keep 'er wet"... which reminds me of Sid's beached boat, been there and done that too!

I have a little metal shore tender skiff too, after the bears eating my inflatable to the point of no repair, I got the aluminum skiff and named it "Tasteless"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast