Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats Your Opinion!

Default Whats Your Opinion!

I was sitting in my house wondering what animal would give the greatest chase/memories so I though I'd ask you guys. In your own personal opinion what animal is your favorite to hunt or one that someday you would like pursue. Whether its from Alaska or not, its just something fun to think about!!! And if you got photo evidence, what the hell show us lol

Hunting black tail deer on Kodiak with my son would be #1. We fly in for 8-10 days and camp in our Arctic Oven.

#2 would be hunting moose on the Koyukuk with my son.

probably have to be elk followed very close by mule deer. I like alaskan species ok but not as much as these. I've found moose and caribou to be kinda so-so. Grizzlies are fun. Wolf is fun. Lynx are cool. It's all a good time either way. everyone has their own favorite i expect half the forum to say sheep. seems like a popular one on here.

Archery hunting for elk during the rut is at or very near the top! Why - because you get to interact with them at close range by vocalizing back and forth, carefully positioning yourself for a shot, playing "the game" sometimes for hours. If you've ever been 30 yards from a screaming bull elk, shot one at 7 yards, or had a cow elk within 3 feet of you, you'll know what I mean .

Dall sheep, grizzly, and wolf would finish out my top 4. Is it hunting season yet.......... I've a few pics in my profile of Alaska hunts.

The hottest girl in a bar,

Quote Originally Posted by weseod View Post
    The hottest girl in a bar,
    amen to that lol

A bowhunt for Polar Bear.

The ultimate for me would be Marco Polo sheep. The thing I am liking so much about sheep is the preparation, and planning for it. I have never hunted any animal that requires this much preparation, or research.

My favorite animal to hunt is waterfowl. There is nothing better than sitting out there, watching the marsh wake up. Hearing the early whistling wings over head, even before you can see the birds. I love the first flock that comes in right after shooting time, they always cup and dump right into the decoys. I am also a big fan of how many species there are, and a few of them always hold a special spot with me. I also like the anticipation to find out if the bird you just shot is banded. Being able to hunt with the dog that you trained since it was 4 months old is a big part of it as well.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

African Lion...goin for the whole ghost in the darkness thing lol
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

If it gets better than hunting brown bear, it's best that I stay away as I'd never get anything else done...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Yeah, nothing's more exciting than being in a 'pole thicket or aspen slope with bugling bull elk all around you; been years, but still sends shivers down my spine just thinkin' about it. If Wyoming had red salmon, I'd probably move in a heartbeat
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Brown bear, no comparison...followed by sheep. Ungulates kinda bore me, but big rutting moose are fun when theyre in full swing. as for caribou, unless the meat is going in my freezer and its before the first week of september id just as soon watch em than kill one...Hell i just like being out there...i like to trap nearly as much as i enjoy bear hunting......but for me chasing big brown bear is where my biggest passion lies.

Early season caribou and dall sheep are my favorite table fare....followed closely by sitka blacktail.

Up to now my favorite so far is without a doubt sheep, followed by brown bear. I've been to over 27 different countries but I've never been far enough west in the US to see an elk in the wild. Eventually, I have to go on a bow hunt for elk during the rut.

I would like to join bnkwn in Afghanistan, then go off and lay seige to a city and get me some top Preadators with fleet of B-52's dropping lazer guided J-dam's, while the US still has a season open there.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I would like to join bnkwn in Afghanistan, then go off and lay seige to a city and get me some top Preadators with fleet of B-52's dropping lazer guided J-dam's, while the US still has a season open there.

Need a packer?

I will, 9foot, if I get a contract ~~LOL!!~~

Really, something inside me says I F'd up not spending some time serving my country, but when I did try to join in the mid 80's they said "Go to school" and I went hunting.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The ultimate for me would be Marco Polo sheep. The thing I am liking so much about sheep is the preparation, and planning for it. I have never hunted any animal that requires this much preparation, or research.

My favorite animal to hunt is waterfowl. There is nothing better than sitting out there, watching the marsh wake up. Hearing the early whistling wings over head, even before you can see the birds. I love the first flock that comes in right after shooting time, they always cup and dump right into the decoys. I am also a big fan of how many species there are, and a few of them always hold a special spot with me. I also like the anticipation to find out if the bird you just shot is banded. Being able to hunt with the dog that you trained since it was 4 months old is a big part of it as well.
    Amen to that, it's good feeling hunting with your dog

I will, 9foot, if I get a contract ~~LOL!!~~

Really, something inside me says I F'd up not spending some time serving my country, but when I did try to join in the mid 80's they said "Go to school" and I went hunting.........
    I can relate to that...i took the test did really well was all gung ho...and they pretty much told me the same thing. So i tried...failed...and went to alaska chasing a dream...found it and went hunting! Never glanced back. Utmost respect for the men and women who stayed gung ho...gave guys like me a chance to go hunting and enjoy the liberties only an alaskan american knows

Turkey hunting with my dad, we both shot one at the same set up and they died with there heads touching will never for get it.

Bear hunting in general is my favorite with Brown or Grizzly bears being the best! Nothing gets your heart racing and mind wondering like those guys and gals do. They really let you know you are still alive. J

The next closest thing is being deployed and hunting other bipeds; but the seasons, game management areas, and regulations are getting tighter and tighter. Crap they must be working hand in hand with the ADF&G and BOG, it must be a conspiracy to take away all our great hunting opportunities!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast