Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pillow Cases for Game Bags?????

Default Pillow Cases for Game Bags?????

I was talking to some good buddies of mine while planning for this upcoming spring bear hunt out of PWS. I told the first timers that were going with us to bring good game bags and not the cheap netting ones that fall apart. Thats when a guy spoke up and said he used to use pillow cases .....I was amazed, why have I never thought of that? I have a linen closet full of all sorts of sizes of pillow cases. Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this tactic, and how much money it would save not to buy all those game bags....

Joe.

I know plenty of people who stitch up old cotton sheets into game bags. The ones I have used work great. You can sew them into whatever size you want. Pillow cases would work just as well.

There work great but not a big item on hunting t.v..Salvation Army is good place to find them.Clean them then rinse real good to make sure all the soap is out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Been using them for years. We just sew in a lip and add a piece of parachute cord so the end can be tied shut. Another good choice is those cloth laundry bags with the draw string. Cheap, tough, and easy to wash.

i use linens sewn together, work great. and cheap too.

thats all we use pretty much....mom isn't to happy about it but I don't really care if its stained a little.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

If you have access to Elmendorf, go to the linen exchange office and they will give you all the old sheets ya want. I've been doing it for years. One flat sheet will make two huge moose quarter bags.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yep, also been doing it for years. Pillow cases for the smaller stuff, and sheets sewn together for quarters......work great!

For smaller game (smaller than a moose) various sized pillow cases work great. King sized pillow cases work well for even caribou rear quarters. Salvation army, Value village, etc...are a great place to get them. Most have a little folded over trim piece on the open end. You can put a small slice in it and feed a piece of para-cord through it to cinch it up.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That is the best tip I have heard so far, the bags at the store are super expensive, I will make my own, were is the linen exchange on JBER I will be going there.

Back in childhood mom would get king or queen sized sheets and make full sized deer bags. Salvation Army or the base laundry if we were anywhere near a base.

I recommend reading Larry's meat care info on his website. Even if you are not using his TAG bags the information is very handy for long trips where meat care can get tricky.

If it's in the same place it was, it's behind the NCO academy. Or next to the Airmans Attic on the loading ramp. It's been awhile since I've gotten sheets from them though. They always gave me as many as I wanted.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Pillow cases cost two for a buck in Anchorage at that Surplus-Salvage store across from SBS off Minnesota.
    Check the entire stack so you avoid the ones with little holes. Them big black flys love those tiny holes.
    Pillow cases hold a manageable weight load of meat. Cheap, easy, and until you need to use one for meat you can stuff your jacket into it and use it for a .....pillow.

For larger stuff like moose quareters and brown bear pelts I get those large, and larger cloth bags at the pet feed-domestic stock food store in Anchorage down on like 3rd Avenue just south of Ship Creek. I get 50 pound bags of non-iodised salt there also (for game capes and pelts).

Military Surplus Mattress Covers work great. They are extremly durable. I got mine from the Army Surplus store several years ago. I've only had one rip so far from an entire back bone from neck to tail. Now I split in in half and put both peices in one bag, ribs and all left whole. I think I paid like 5 or 7 bucks a peice for them. I use King Size Pillow Cases also.

i used pillowcases last Sept. on caribou hunt while my buddy used game bags. the pillowcases held up much better, the bags ripped at every chance.

Martha Stewart would go nuts if she knew what happened to her pillowcases.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Military Surplus Mattress Covers work great. They are extremly durable. I got mine from the Army Surplus store several years ago. I've only had one rip so far from an entire back bone from neck to tail. Now I split in in half and put both peices in one bag, ribs and all left whole. I think I paid like 5 or 7 bucks a peice for them. I use King Size Pillow Cases also.
    Flashbacks,, Flashbacks,,,

I bet they would work well... I can remember walking back to the barracks rubbing my newly shaved head with a mattress cover stuffed with sheets, pillow, couple wool blankets, etc.... a heavy load for sure. LOL
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Holly cow, I didnt know they were used that much. I cant believe people still pay all that money for the game bags. I guess thats why i joined the forum. thanks..... I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Holly cow, I didnt know they were used that much. I cant believe people still pay all that money for the game bags. I guess thats why i joined the forum. thanks..... I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
    Because TAG bags are just THAT much better...I've been down the road of lots of other types of game-bags....

Another thing we used for years were livestock feed bags. They have plenty of ventilation, there tough, and were pleantiful having horses around. Big enough for a hind moose 1/4. Thanks, Ron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast