Thread: Can I catch halibut out of a skiff in Jueau ?

Default Can I catch halibut out of a skiff in Jueau ?

Ive been fishing Juneau waters for over 20 yrs now , allways salmon , on a fly rod , roadside or flyout it can be awsome !! love the cohos in sept , past 4 years my buddys got me going on the Kings in june , were fising the channel with skiffs , we put in at fishcreek or Auke . I thinking this year Im going to bring up some bait gear and try to get a flattie !! ( I fish them a lot here in Calif ) Ive seen some nice ones ,guys have caught over at the Almaga ramp , while coho fishing at petersen cr , Anyway , not asking for your honey holes , but what areas should I drop em !!! Ill be up june 18-28 Thanks guys !

most deff... i have a buddy who just moved from Juneau who did every weekend

as to where? i cant help... but i would imagine just about anywhere would be a good spot to start

steelie - There are plenty of skiff fishermen that do well on halibut in the Juneau area. I suggest that you pick up a copy of the local NOAA chart number 17316 and start studying the areas within view from outside of the launch ramp at Amalga. You should be looking for relatively flat areas showing "S" (sand), "Sh" (shells), or "Gr" (gravel). Avoid areas that are marked "Co" (coral) so you don't hang up your gear and break off. Based on my own experiences, I wouldn't restrict myself to using just baited gear - skirt jigs with added scent work well and can be just as effective. Good luck.

Yes you can

Awsome !! , JKD I will defenently order that chart , and pick up some skirted jigs (I would think western auto got them)
    and MR. Windypoint , that is a great photo !! what a pig , that must have been a blast out
    of a zodiak !! (just be very carefull with the gaff) I do a fair amount of zodiak fishing down here , good stuff guys thanks !!!
    0002497-R1-025-11_2.jpg0002478-R1-015-6.jpg

Alright...where did you catch that one?

I'm cool with the GPS coordinates!!!

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    Yes you can

It's my neighbor. It was in upper Lynn Canal near the rocky beach and trees.