Thread: looking for a guide-pilot and plane to rent

Default looking for a guide-pilot and plane to rent

Hey I am a private pilot, 1000 h CPL IR MEP+SEP, living in europe. I am looking for a good pilot-instructor, to organize a trip around intersting spots in Alaska next august. I want to rent a plane, fly and land in interesting places. As i know Alaska is wide and wild, i cannot imagine flying only by myself. Who knows someone who could help me ?

I have not used them, but check http://www.abovealaska.com/trekalaska.htm They seem to have what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ituma View Post
    Hey I am a private pilot, 1000 h CPL IR MEP+SEP, living in europe. I am looking for a good pilot-instructor, to organize a trip around intersting spots in Alaska next august. I want to rent a plane, fly and land in interesting places. As i know Alaska is wide and wild, i cannot imagine flying only by myself. Who knows someone who could help me ?
    MOST FBOs (Fixed Base Operators) will not rent aircraft they know will be flown to strips or fields that are not paved. Not all, but most. If you are looking for a pilot to go with you, you are into a "charter" rather than a "rental" situation. Good luck on your trip !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

If you are looking for a pilot to go with you, you are into a "charter" rather than a "rental" situation. ]

I think I will challange that statement. I could go whth him as a experienced Alaskan Pilot and retired Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think I will challange that statement. I could go whth him as a experienced Alaskan Pilot and retired Guide.
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to your experience. I'm referring to the manner in which your pilot will view it. If you're using his time and his airplane, I'd be surprised if you can get a "rental" rate. You and I have the same problem in that regard. With almost 20,000 Alaska flying hours, and 35-years as a Registered Alaska Guide, I still have to "charter" if I'm using his airplane and his time. Perhaps you can swing a better deal . . . . . I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to your experience. I'm referring to the manner in which your pilot will view it. If you're using his time and his airplane, I'd be surprised if you can get a "rental" rate. You and I have the same problem in that regard. With almost 20,000 Alaska flying hours, and 35-years as a Registered Alaska Guide, I still have to "charter" if I'm using his airplane and his time. Perhaps you can swing a better deal . . . . . I hope so.
    Yes, I will agree with you that he has little hope of doing what he wants to do. I also suspect he has no idea of the cost. That said, if the OP'er has real money he could partner up with a "VERY" experienced Alaskan pilot who owns their own aircraft. It is a long shot for the OP'er at best to put this project into reality.

Ituma,
    Easy route is probably a small 135 operation. There are several small air taxis that do the same thing for the Iditarod every year. Have an idea of either how much you want to spend or where you want to go and dates.
    Gonna be $450/hr and up for 180 and pilot I'd imagine. Plus lodging if you are staying out. Just so you understand the $$$.
    Start here: MLJ Aircraft Svc 907-688-0346

I know a couple Swiss Air pilots who keep airplanes near me and come fly them seasonally. You could hook up with them and work a sweetheart deal......possibly?? You know, fellow countryman and all?.

Post your email since you can't pm. I'll send you a contact for one.

Hi ituma

sounds like a plan.
    Donne moi un coup de telephone sur lucerne 7805661 ou biene laissez un message.