Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dead wolf photos making waves

Default dead wolf photos making waves

hey guys check this out...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46918339...ws-environment

what do you guys think about this?

I believe we had a similiar thread a while back "kill all wolves" or something similiar that sparked a debate on here about how wolves are handled and treated by hunters and trappers. Trapperman.com apparently has seen some backlash over this, hopefully AOD doesn't start becoming a target for similiar problems. I have some opinions on this arcticle but would like to hear yours. Interesting read. I believe that even though we are on a hunting website we need to be concious of what we write and the fact that we represent the hunting community. It seems like a few "off-color" comments is what really set these people off and i agree to an extent that sometime we need to think a little about what we say and do. I don't think the hunting and trapping community shoul be portrayed as having a "bloodlust" even though maybe some people do. anyways remember the internet is open for all and maybe someday one of your pictures may be on a billboard for anti hunting...scary thought.

Cool link, sad story.....

I hunt Wolves, like you Justin, but hell , were not endangering anything here......

I didnt see any dead Wolf pix, although the 2 'soon to be dead Wolves" pictures were really cool ~~LOL!!~~

Another reason to never more than visit the lower 49............
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Unfortunately this re-introduction program went thru in the mid 90's, hunters, ranchers, etc were forewarned what would happen,
    that being, wolves would not only repopulate faster than the groups that pushed for re-introduction said they would.
    There's been Alaskan trappers giving clinics in these states on how to snare/trap wolves.
    As Chip says, truly a sad story.
    These 'wolf pushers", didn't give news that wolves from Canada were slowly repopulating in a southward direction, and would eventually most likely spread into the USA. Not fast enough for them,, and they wouldn't get money in their pockets. Many of these groups were active in the stopping of land and shoot, and for a while had stopped predator control in Alaska. They were losing the 'battle' in Alaska, so this was one of their bright ideas. Kept their pocket$ lined,,,,,,,,,,
    I'll drop in a interesting link in another post.....with the Mods help it will work

Granny gets one....

http://www.KXLY.com/news/Hunter-Beco...2rz/index.html

Hopefully again,, a Mod will help with this link....

I don't like that reporter anyway, jeeez whaterver happen to microfish., well that link is on 'google'

The report claims that idahos wolf pop was reduced by forty percent from hunting...roughly one thousand down to six hundred...someone is conviently forgetting the simple fact that if the prey remains then breeding will continue...bringing the circle round once more.

The last part of strangers posts rings true for me...

Here in MN the wolves have decimated the deer in some areas. There are getting to be far to many. they have not been hunted in so long they no longer fear man and are hitting livestock. We now have wolves well outside their natural range. While i dont want to exterminate them they do need a good thinning!

Ironically, I only clicked on this thread because I thought it had pictures of recently killed wolves and wanted to see them. I'll just keep quiet so I dont give the other side (grass-stained 'Occupy' hippies) anything to use against anyone out there doing the noble work of killing those furry b***ards
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

sorry to mislead you highestview...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    well high...dont want to dissapoint
    camping 026.jpg
    Very envious. Nice hunting.

Nicely done man...

You lucky dog.....and he, unlucky dog......

Ya due to the introduction of wolves my Family has lost alot of cattle in AZ due to this and the Gov said they would compensate but their compensation is no where near what the Beeves are worth its total crap with the enviros and thier programs..

My Aunt was actually on the USA today front page back in the early 90's speaking about it she is a Chair member on the AZ Cattlemans association comments in the impact of the issues.

here is a seperate article that involves the isues in 1999

http://www.hcn.org/issues/162/5236

or in 2005 http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...es.html?&wired

Shoot, Shovel and Shut up. That will take care of the problem you are having in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Here in MN the wolves have decimated the deer in some areas. There are getting to be far to many. they have not been hunted in so long they no longer fear man and are hitting livestock. We now have wolves well outside their natural range. While i dont want to exterminate them they do need a good thinning!
    Given that wolves, mountain lion, and bears ranged over most all of North America just a few hundred years ago, I'm not sure how you figure they're now "outside their natural range." With the gross overpopulation of deer on many areas there, "decimating" (reducing by one tenth) the population would be a good thing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Now yer talkin. Now this thread is honest...and quite beautiful. Weird that no blood shows on the snow. You sure that wolf wasn't just sedated?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview
    I'll just keep quiet so I dont give the other side (grass-stained 'Occupy' hippies) anything to use against anyone out there doing the noble work of killing those furry b***ards

With all due respect highestview, rhetoric like that isn't helpful. I for one have a lot of respect for wolves and am glad they are on our Alaskan landscape. Don't consider them furry b***ards. Far from it.

Then again, I think it was a mistake to reintroduce them in the lower 48, imo the cons of that outweigh the pros. And one of the cons, sadly, has been how perception of reintroduced wolves in the lower 48 has influenced perception of wolves where they still naturally exist.

I have a lot of respect for the wolf. Don't consider them b***ards. Enjoy seeing them, have hunted and trapped them, utilized their fur, and their meat has sustained me and my family in lean times. For every "grass stained Occupy hippie" it is a sad fact the mirror opposite exists within the hunting and trapping community.

And therein lies the problem...only those folks make the news.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Then again, I think it was a mistake to reintroduce them in the lower 48, imo the cons of that outweigh the pros. And one of the cons, sadly, has been how perception of reintroduced wolves in the lower 48 has influenced perception of wolves where they still naturally exist.
    Nope, wasn't a mistake at all, the game herds were overpopulating the habitat, damaging riparian systems, etc., and things have improved since the re-intro in Yellowstone and other areas, that's been documented I believe. As for ranchers, they own the operation and want to run their stupid animals over every square inch of land, legal or no. I've been in wilderness areas down south where it's illegal to ride a bicycle but ranchers graze their chemical frankencows anyway. Let the wolves eat 'em, I don't need MickeyD's that much
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Nope, wasn't a mistake at all, the game herds were overpopulating the habitat, damaging riparian systems, etc., and things have improved since the re-intro in Yellowstone and other areas, that's been documented I believe. As for ranchers, they own the operation and want to run their stupid animals over every square inch of land, legal or no. I've been in wilderness areas down south where it's illegal to ride a bicycle but ranchers graze their chemical frankencows anyway. Let the wolves eat 'em, I don't need MickeyD's that much
    Well by all means...out with the documentation...i wanna see. And please include who documented it.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    Well by all means...out with the documentation...i wanna see. And please include who documented it.
    "Increasingly, it would appear that the loss of a keystone predator, the gray wolf, across vast areas of the American West may have set the stage for previously unrecognized and unappreciated ecological changes in riparian and upland plant communities and the functions they provide. Furthermore, the results reported herein add to the scientific knowledge base by providing empirical evidence for strong topdown effects of a large terrestrial carnivore. If similar top-down effects hold true in other areas of North America and parts of the world where wolves have been previously removed, wolf recovery may represent a management tool for helping to restore riparian plant communities and conserve biodiversity."
    ~William J. Ripple*, Robert L. Beschta,College of Forestry, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA

http://www.cyberwest.com/wolves/wolv...nal-park.shtml

http://www.chieftain.com/news/region...871e3ce6c.html

http://site.xavier.edu/blairb/eco/ec...lowspatten.pdf
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast