Thread: Would You do this?

Default Would You do this?

I always appreciate your guys/gals knowledge and experience so I thought I would bounce this off you.

I found a good deal on a high quality boat, not a Screaming deal, a good solid deal. The inboard has less than 70 hrs on it and its a Marine Power with a Hamilton Jet. The rest of the boat is in good to very good condition.

Given the fact that I can get a good deal on it, what would you say if I bought the boat without running the motor and I told you there is enough off between NADA and the price that I could replace the entire engine if necessary and still sell it at Blue Book.

( I have seen the boat so my only concern is I haven't run the motor. The condition of the boat communicates to me the owner has taken at least average to above average care of the engine.)

Thanks for the input.

Trust your gut. I have purchased a boat online in another state without starting the motor and been happy with my decision.

Depends.
    Is this a boat you want for yourself? If so, its worth it. If its a money making proposition, why go through the bother?
    As Snowwolfe said, I too have had good experiences with boat sellers on line. You can tell a lot by the pictures and talking to the owner.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thanks Yukoner. Personal use. I agree, wouldn't bother if it was for profit.

Well I would say that a lot of it has to do with if you want to use the boat asap, or take the chance that it may be in the shop for awhile getting a new engine. Sounds like you have a deal that you're happy with, but are you willing to be without a boat for awhile if that ends up being the case? If so then I see no problem.

How old is the boat? I bought a boat that was less than a year old and only 70 hrs and didnt run it. Bought it from a member here who i didnt know and couldnt be happier

At least do a compression check
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Doesn't cost that much to run down to Whittier and run water thru the impeller, if the cost of the boat warrants it (and it is in state).

I'd definetely splash it and run it.
    Last couple years I have had bad luck trusting the seller when I made two boat purchases. One motor ate a valve on the demo ride and the other I "trusted" a Canadian and it cost me a complete rebuild.
    I wouldn't take any chances, I'd demo it and run it hard putting it through the paces before I would hand over any $ again.
    BK

BK nailed it....Sea Trial the snot out of it and all systems on board.

If you can run it do it take it out and do just what you plan to do with it if you were to make the buy......

I just made the buy on a boat and glad I did take er out and ran it good, because by doing so I knew extactly what I was getting into and no unexpected disapointments so absolutly no excuses to offer and besides the shake down run was fun.

Also it did give me the chance to find a couple of small issues that I would not have seen if I did not run it first and I know I would have ignored em had I purchased it first... oh anyways problem with hour meter not reading as should and the Navigation lights not working ... that got me some $$ off ...( found issue with Hour meter and corrected)

If the engine is junk or only lasts a short time are you able to do the engine swap yourself or will you have to pay some knuclehead up here big money to replace the engine and hold the boat hostage for the summer? And maybe still get a bad job?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I suggest that if you do not run it, at least ask a lot of open ended questions about the motor. Don't ask questions with yes and no answers. Unless the seller is a good liar, which is possible, you can tell by asking the right questions whether he is full of bs or being honest. I have bought a boat without running the motor, and had the results I expected just by the questions I asked.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

If you take to someone for a compression check they might blow smoke as well... I took in an old motor that tested bad in the shop but is still running today with no problems. Some of these guys up here will try to sell you a new motor without giving you to whole truth.

Thanks all. We decided to test the boat. Works for everyone involved.

Having said that, one question was could I swap the engine, yes I could do that. Looking at it I didn't think it would be that big of deal to put in a new one.

Smart move CJ.

I agree that a sea trial is the best thing to avoid problems. If you didn't or couldn't do this, I would ask for a statement that the motor was in good working order without issues. If the seller knew of problems and lied to you, you can go after them. If, on the other hand, the motor was fine last fall and had a problem due to the cold that the owner was not aware of when he offered it for sale, then the responsibility would be yours.

Let us know how it turns out.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded